What's new

Bannu Jail Break: KP govt completes a 3 layered high security prison within year of forming gov.

khawaja07

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PESHAWAR – Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) authorities soon will shift militants from various prisons from around the province to a new high-security prison in Mardan.

Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan attacks on prisons prompted authorities to construct the facility, officials say.

"Final touches are being made, after which prisoners will be shifted to its cells," KP Home and Tribal Affairs Secretary Akhtar Ali Shah told Central Asia Online.

Authorities are withholding specific dates for the completion of the prison's construction and the transfer of prisoners for security reasons, but the completion and transfers are expected to take place this month, Shah said.

The KP government started construction on the high-level facility after two major jailbreaks in Bannu and Dera Ismail Khan districts. Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants in July 2013 freed 242 prisoners when they attacked the prison in Dera Ismail Khan District.

In April 2012, the TTP stormed the prison in Bannu District, freeing 384 inmates.

State-of-the-art facility

The Rs 1.78 billion (US $17.3m) prison features a three-layered wall and more support for guards in the form of closed-circuit TV cameras, alarms, watch towers and isolation rooms.

As an added security measure, the outer wall surrounding the facility is made of bomb-proof material.
Workers also built an 18-foot-wide road to facilitate round-the-clock patrols.

And the prison will have a solar power system to prevent any blackouts.It'll be able to hold 3,000 inmates, most in a barracks, though the prison has 127 cells set aside for high-profile prisoners.

To prevent attempts to free or kill high-profile militants in transit, authorities plan to transfer them to the prison via helicopter. They also intend to conduct those inmates' court hearings via video links from inside the prison.

Improving prisons across KP

The KP government has introduced a number of other initiatives to improve the security at prisons.
Last year it announced plans to form an 800-strong security force focusing on prisons.
"The special force will be responsible for the security of the prisons all over the province," Malik Qasim, an advisor to the KP government on prisons, said. "They will be provided with the latest gadgets and sophisticated ammunition."

Workers are setting up high-security zones at five other sensitive prisons in Timergara, Bannu, Dera Ismail Khan, Kohat and Karak to segregate hard-core militants from the other inmates, KP Inspector General (IG) of Prisons Kifayatullah Khan said recently.

The special force will have armoured personnel carriers, jammers and sophisticated weapons and will be self-reliant in any emergency, he added. KP is building several more prisons for militants and other criminals.

The provincial government approved the construction of another high-security prison in Swabi at the cost of Rs. 600m (US $5.8m), a communiqué issued by the Home and Tribal Affairs Department in August said.

"Rs.1 billion (US $97.3m) will be spent on the construction of a new [prison] in Nowshera, while Rs. 500m (US $4.8m) will be spent on the reconstruction of a prison in Dera Ismail Khan," the communiqué said.

The government also approved the construction of district jails in different cities, including Upper Dir, Tank, Shangla, Malakand and Charsadda.

Source

:yahoo::pakistan::pakistan:

Ignore him. He doesn't have much to do in life and probably no friends since he's asleep day time and works at night. So here he needs our input.

Typical Noora troll who would do personal attacks just like when he did with IK when he could not debate with him rationally on live tv.

Good work.

But wait a min. Other than Solar Powered, i dont see anything new. I visited Peshawer Jail in 2008 (to meet a person), they were having CCTV, 3 walled security, Watched Towers,a backup generator, and i came to know they follow same standard in almost all sensitive jails.

And i am still 100% sure if 500 miliyants come today, the only backing they will have to call army.

Anyways, good something for you guyz to cheer,, yeaaaaahh..

Please don't 'tag' people based on your paranoia. I welcome any good work done by any govt in Pakistan, including KPK govt. I have not commented on the performance of the KPK govt because I don't know enough about that. My hunch is they are doing much better work than the previous ANP govt or the MMA govt before that. And also it is my hunch that the SS govt in Punjab is not doing too bad either.

Good work but one must understand that no jail can stand a siege of 500 soldiers with arms and weapons for a long time. They will break through. The defense of this is that you have alot of personal who are armed in the jail, the towers are well built and strong and you hold out till the security forces come as a form of re-enforcement to stop the siege. Hopefully they use the quick response police force that was created to counter terrorism to quickly respond to any threat the jail may face.

Good work.

But wait a min. Other than Solar Powered, i dont see anything new. I visited Peshawer Jail in 2008 (to meet a person), they were having CCTV, 3 walled security, Watched Towers,a backup generator, and i came to know they follow same standard in almost all sensitive jails.

And i am still 100% sure if 500 miliyants come today, the only backing they will have to call army.

Anyways, good something for you guyz to cheer,, yeaaaaahh..
And ypu realize that No Security in the world will be able to sustain that kind of Attack - an attack with 500 Militants is an ambush and would require more than usual Tactics and Greater Manpower would be rsquired --- forget about 500 - even a Hundred is a very Good number to do the Damage

And ypu realize that No Security in the world will be able to sustain that kind of Attack - an attack with 500 Militants is an ambush and would require more than usual Tactics and Greater Manpower would be rsquired --- forget about 500 - even a Hundred is a very Good number to do the Damage
I know, and even at that time i wasnt putting finger on jail personnels.

This is first of its kind, while lahore shadman jail security is compromised by an idiot CM for his metro kickback project, despite objection by JS.

Will this security be good enough to stop Imran Khan from doing a jail break like he did a few days ago in Islamabad.

Will this security be good enough to stop Imran Khan from doing a jail break like he did a few days ago in Islamabad.
oh you mean peacefully and verbally getting his workers released and stopping police arresting people illegally while the Islamabad High Court declared the section 144 arrests illegal? research and get some facts before saying things in josh-e-khitabat.

@Secur and I had some more radical solutions some months ago: Create Concentration Camps in relatively remote areas! Move large number of suspects there, provide them good care, filter out the good from the bad, provide family member access. I know that was drastic and would result in many injustices but when the State becomes so weak that jails keep getting broken into then something drastic is needed lest the State itself collapses. And, of course, I am not talking about Hitler's Camps! I am thinking of more along the lines of what the Americans did to the Japanese Americans during WW2.

BUT...in light of the improved/improving security situation I am not sure such drastic steps are needed anymore in Pakistan.

oh you mean peacefully and verbally getting his workers released and stopping police arresting people illegally while the Islamabad High Court declared the section 144 arrests illegal? research and get some facts before saying things in josh-e-khitabat.

He looked like Adnan Rasheed when he was "peacefully" releasing his "peaceful" protestors.

Back
Top Bottom