What's new

Bangladeshi Man claimed to be a Buddhist monk, Tries To Fly To Rome With Fake Indian Passport, Arrested

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Bangladeshi Man Tries To Fly To Rome With Fake Indian Passport, Arrested

Bipon Anil Barua told officials that he is a Buddhist monk (Representational)

Mumbai:
A 32-year-old Bangladesh national, who claimed to be a Buddhist monk, has been arrested here for trying to travel to Rome on an Indian passport that he had obtained by providing fake documents, an official said on Friday.

Bipon Anil Barua, a resident of Bandarban in Bangladesh, was apprehended at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport on Wednesday night, the official said.

Barua was to fly to Rome via Muscat from Mumbai in the early hours of Thursday.

When an immigration officer keyed in his passport details in their system, he found that a Look Out Circular (LOC) has been issued against him by the Foreigners Registration Office (FRRO), Mumbai, the official said.

An LOC is a notice which prevents a person from leaving the country.

According to remarks on the LOC, Barua is a Bangladeshi passport holder. He used fake papers to fraudulently acquire an Indian passport.

Barua told officials that he is a Buddhist monk and came to India from the neighbouring country via the Haridaspur border in 2015 to propagate Buddhism, he said.

During his stay in Chhattisgarh capital Raipur in 2016, Barua said he procured an Indian passport with the help of bogus papers.

Since then, the official said, Barua used the Indian passport to visit Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, and the United Kingdom.

Immigration officials also recovered PAN and Aadhaar cards from him, he said.

Barua was taken to the Sahar police station where a case was registered against him under Indian Penal Code sections 420 (cheating), 465 (punishment for forgery), 468 (forgery for purpose of cheating), and 471 (using fraudulent document as genuine) and the Passports Act.

The passenger was then placed under arrest, the official added.

@CallSignMaverick @NagaBaba @iamnobody @Kuru @Skull and Bones

Barua used the Indian passport to visit Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, and the United Kingdom.

I’m still wondering why did he not use his Bangladeshi Passport to travel to these countries. As far as I know, Bangladeshi passport is not blacklisted by MY, TH, Myanmar Vietnam or UK.

@Bilal9 @Homo Sapiens Is there any problem travelling to these countries?

Also, I’m amazed how easy it is to obtain such documents in India. And we had some people crying saying ‘kagaz nahi dikhaengey!’ when that citizenship act was a thing a couple of years ago.

I’m still wondering why did he not use his Bangladeshi Passport to travel to these countries. As far as I know, Bangladeshi passport is not blacklisted by MY, TH, Myanmar Vietnam or UK.

@Bilal9 @Homo Sapiens Is there any problem travelling to these countries?

Also, I’m amazed how easy it is to obtain such documents in India. And we had some people crying saying ‘kagaz nahi dikhaengey!’ when that citizenship act was a thing a couple of years ago.

Plenty of underpaid civil servants in India who will do anything for money. They do in Bangladesh too...

Bangladeshi passport is not banned in aforementioned countries.

The guy is a tribal Marma/Chakma/Tripura/Kuki/Chin Buddhist (Barua is usually a Buddhist name) from Bandarban by the way - he probably crossed over to Mizoram or Tripura as those Indian states are closest to Bandarban in the Bangladesh Hill tracts and got his passport from some poor state office in Chhattisgarh.

More importantly - one should ask, why does Indian media make such a big deal about Bangladeshis getting fake Indian passports when the reverse is as true, in fact far more so. Bangladesh per capita GDP (nominal) is higher than India and it is well known that there are far more better paying jobs for poor people in Bangladesh than in India.

These are basically exemplary propaganda to cast Bangladeshis in a bad light. That they are "termites" etc. If you catch one illegal, then there might be four crore of them - right?

A boycott of Indian products in Bangladesh is long overdue - which will make Modi and BJP think twice about propagandizing along these lines, which they use to get votes vis-à-vis Congress.

India does over $50 Billion worth of business every year in Bangladesh, and this is what we get in return.

Last edited:
Plenty of underpaid civil servants in India who will do anything for money. They do in Bangladesh too...

Bangladeshi passport is not banned in aforementioned countries.

The guy is a tribal Marma/Chakma/Tripura/Kuki/Chin Buddhist (Barua is usually a Buddhist name) from Bandarban by the way - he probably crossed over to Mizoram or Tripura as those Indian states are closest to Bandarban in the Bangladesh Hill tracts and got his passport from some poor state office in Chhattisgarh.

More importantly - one should ask, why does Indian media make such a big deal about Bangladeshis getting fake Indian passports when the reverse is as true, in fact far more so. Bangladesh per capita GDP (nominal) is higher than India and it is well known that there are far more better paying jobs for poor people in Bangladesh than in India.

These are basically exemplary propaganda to cast Bangladeshis in a bad light. That they are "termites" etc. If you catch one illegal, then there might be four crore of them - right?

A boycott of Indian products in Bangladesh is long overdue - which will make Modi and BJP think twice about propagandizing along these lines, which they use to get votes vis-à-vis Congress.

India does over $50 Billion worth of business every year in Bangladesh, and this is what we get in return.
I have a feeling that this guy may have committed some crime back home and may have run away from there. And since Bangladeshi authorities are looking out for this guy, he may have obtained Indian documents to travel freely. This, of course, is my guess.

I have a feeling that this guy may have committed some crime back home and may have run away from there. And since Bangladeshi authorities are looking out for this guy, he may have obtained Indian documents to travel freely. This, of course, is my guess.

This is possible. There are quite a large number of insurgents in the hill tracts and Bandarban is a hotbed of insurgency.

Bangladesh Army is active there on account of the insurgency.

Once this guy is extradited to Bangladesh, the law enforcement and intelligence agencies will investigate this.

Back
Top Bottom