What's new

Bangladesh receives 65,000 tonnes of coal via Indonesian ship amid power crisis

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Bangladesh receives 65,000 tonnes of coal via Indonesian ship amid power crisis​

Matarbari receives the second large consignment of coal in a month​

bdnews24-english%2F2023-06%2Fe5dd7a24-1ac7-44a1-bc33-6773baff0114%2Fchattogram_biggest_ship_matarbari_250423_01.jpg

Cox’s Bazar Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 14 June 2023, 05:04 PM
Updated : 14 June 2023, 05:04 PM

An Indonesian ship carrying 65,000 tonnes of coal has anchored at the Matarbari deep sea port in Cox's Bazar's Moheshkhali amid the ongoing power output crisis caused by a lack of fuel.

The vessel navigated through a breakwater channel to dock in Moheshkhali Port on Wednesday, according to Alfaz Uddin, a security officer at Matarbari coal-fired power project.

Port authorities have already initiated the unloading process, he said.

Four shipments totalling 250,000 tonnes of coal have arrived at the port over the past month and a half for the 1,200 MW Matarbari power plant.

Although it has yet to be established as a port, as many as 115 ships have dropped anchor at the Matarbari deep sea port over the past year and a half, including two large vessels carrying coal.

BD has a very small area. Yet, its coal reserves stand at 2000 million tons, But, instead of mining the reserves the GoB under Hasina continues to import coal.

This is how she and her party people get bribe money. Only last week, there was a news of China exporting 26,000 tons of coal. And this news say another 65,000 tons from Indonesia.

I just cannot accept this import that can be described as, “To carry coal to New Castle”. How fantastic when the country is losing dollar money every day.

This is how this BAL party is developing the country.

BD has a very small area. Yet, its coal reserves stand at 2000 million tons, But, instead of mining the reserves the GoB under Hasina continues to import coal.
Actually proven coal reserves in Bangladesh is 3139 million ton. Only 1 million ton per year is now being extracted. Ninety percent demand met through import.

Bangladesh Govt. is very callous when it comes to mining mineral resources. Import is their easy and shortcut ways to solve the problem. Be it gas or coal or anything else. We have huge offshore gas reserves, yet due to govt. inaction, need to import expensive LNG. while Myanmar is extracting large amount of gas very close to the maritime border of Bangladesh. We also have big Iron ore reserves (625 million ton) in Dinajpur, which can meet 50 years of total demand of Bangladesh. Only God knows when this iron ore will see the day's light.

Dinajpur’s iron ore mine has reserves of 62.5 cr tons: Nasrul Hamid​

Last edited:
Actually proven coal reserves in Bangladesh is 3139 million ton. Only 1 million ton per year is now being extracted. Ninety percent demand met through import.

Bangladesh Govt. is very callous when it comes to mining mineral resources. Import is their easy and shortcut ways to solve the problem. Be it gas or coal or anything else. We have huge offshore gas reserves, yet due to govt. inaction, need to import expensive LNG. while Myanmar is extracting large amount of gas very close to the maritime border of Bangladesh. We also have big Iron ore reserves (625 million ton) in Dinajpur, which can meet 50 years of total demand of Bangladesh. Only God knows when this iron ore will see the day's light.

When it is local production, the thieves are local officials. I do not remember the name but it may be Bara Pukuria where few million tons of coal cannot be traced. Officials there sold the coal and our greater thief politicians did not get their share.

Central bureaucrats can earn two paisas if it is import of coal or gas. However, unnecessary imports are causing the dollar shortages.

BD people are genuinely a bunch of thieves. People at the top who should create a system of non-thievery are themselves greater thieves.

Mir Zafar is not a single person. We all together are Mir Zafars.

This is how she and her party people get bribe money. Only last week, there was a news of China exporting 26,000 tons of coal. And this news say another 65,000 tons from Indonesia.

I just cannot accept this import that can be described as, “To carry coal to New Castle”. How fantastic when the country is losing dollar money every day.

I can tell you natural resource extraction is easiest way to enrich yourself as a third world dictator. If it can be extracted it would have been done

What is the quality of the coal? Is it shit quality like Indian coal.

Will extracting coal in dense population centres create health epidemic?

Why weren’t the coal extracted during “patriotic military rule” when Bangladesh used to suffer 18hrs of load shedding?

What is the quality of the coal? Is it shit quality like Indian coal.
Barapukuria is the sole mine from where coal in Bangladesh being extracted. One million ton per year. Barapukuria coal falls under bituminous type. Bangladeshi coal are among the best comparable to Indonesia and Australia.

Will extracting coal in dense population centres create health epidemic?
There are five coal mine so far discovered in Bangladesh. Only one is developed, Barapukuria coal mine. These coal mine are situated over agricultural land and dense settlement. These are main reasons why govt. is hesitant to develop these coal mine. Many thousands of people need to relocate.
Why weren’t the coal extracted during “patriotic military rule” when Bangladesh used to suffer 18hrs of load shedding?
Previous load-shedding before 2010s was mostly due to lack of powerplants. For several years prior to Russia-Ukraine war, load-shedding was very minimal, mostly about transmission line failure, not about level of production. After Russia-Ukraine war, load-shedding is happening because of inadequate fuel imports.

Barapukuria is the sole mine from where coal in Bangladesh being extracted. One million ton per year. Barapukuria coal falls under bituminous type. Bangladeshi coal are among the best comparable to Indonesia and Australia.

There are five coal mine so far discovered in Bangladesh. Only one is developed, Barapukuria coal mine. These coal mine are situated over agricultural land and dense settlement. These are main reasons why govt. is hesitant to develop these coal mine. Many thousands of people need to relocate.

Previous load-shedding before 2010s was mostly due to lack of powerplants. For several years prior to Russia-Ukraine war, load-shedding was very minimal, mostly about transmission line failure, not about level of production. After Russia-Ukraine war, load-shedding is happening because of inadequate fuel imports.

So why didn’t your patriotic military rulers build power plants to utilise some of this coal?

They could have even exported some as well to raise money.

Granted your current government is a “sellout”.

But what was the excuse of your “patriotic military” government?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom