What's new

Bangladesh Navy

BD does not have to get Yasen class. It only has to have a sub-maintenance/replenishment facility for more potent subs like the Song class or Kilos.

Please can you expand on your statement. Why not Yasen Class?

Once BD is comfortable with the Mings the next step would be bigger sub obviously. I have no doubt it will be Chinese vessels.

At that point one assumes BD will procure the best sub for money and requirement. Are the prices materially different between these subs. Are the operational conditions very different so for example Yasen is an inappropriate choice? China where it can gives us freindship prices... are a few song class submarine coming up that china can sell to us on the cheap?

Once BD is comfortable with the Mings the next step would be bigger sub obviously. I have no doubt it will be Chinese vessels.

At that point one assumes BD will procure the best sub for money and requirement. Are the prices materially different between these subs. Are the operational conditions very different so for example Yasen is an inappropriate choice? China where it can gives us freindship prices... are a few song class submarine coming up that china can sell to us on the cheap?

simply, even IF Russian willing to sell Yasen class to BD, i doubt BD had financial capacity and capability to bought and made them operational

simply, even IF Russian willing to sell Yasen class to BD, i doubt BD had financial capacity and capability to bought and made them operational

Thanks for your response but was really asking Bilal.

Your view is that it would be economically prohibitive.... fair enough.

i am thinking about buying 20 aircraft carriers based battle groups for BN :butcher::angel:

Yasen class is a nuclear sub (SSN). It costs the equivalent of US$1.6 billion. It is a 8600 ton sub. It is one of the largest and most sophisticated attack subs the Russians make. India was trying to 'lease' a few examples in case their Arihant SSN sub development was delayed. It is out of the question for Bangladesh to purchase such a sub and will probably not get it due to strategic reasons.

The Chinese also make SSNs and SSBNs such as the very large Shang and Jin classes which carry ballistic missiles but China does not 'export' those subs because of strategic reasons. Bangladesh' next purchase will probably be the export version of a Type 039A sub which is a conventional Diesel-electric engine sub. It is about the size of the Kilo class, slightly larger.

The Thais and Pakistanis are buying this AFAIK and I believe this is the version Bangladesh will probably get. These will cost Thailand $330 million or so each - independent of spares and support. In April 2015, Pakistan approved purchase of 8 S20 class from China for $5 billion. The Thai designation is S26T. These are conventional Diesel-electric drive with 1 shaft/propeller, and AIP. They are ideal for Bay of Bengal usage and mission for BN.

23265e0e.jpg

132514472_21n.jpg

Last edited:
Yasen class is a nuclear sub (SSN). It costs the equivalent of US$1.6 billion. It is a 8600 ton sub. It is one of the largest and most sophisticated attack subs the Russians make. India was trying to 'lease' a few examples in case their Arihant SSN sub development was delayed. It is out of the question for Bangladesh to purchase such a sub and will probably not get it due to strategic reasons.

The Chinese also make SSNs and SSBNs such as the very large Shang and Jin classes which carry ballistic missiles but China does not 'export' those subs because of strategic reasons. Bangladesh' next purchase will probably be the export version of a Type 039A sub which is a conventional Diesel-electric engine sub. It is about the size of the Kilo class, slightly larger.

The Thais and Pakistanis are buying this AFAIK and I believe this are the versions Bangladesh will probably get. These will cost Thailand and Pakistan $330 million or so each independent of spares and support. In April 2015, Pakistan approved purchase of 8 S20 class from China for $5 billion. The Thai designation is S26T, they are buying 20 subs. These are conventional Diesel-electric drive with 1 shaft/propeller, and AIP. They are ideal for Bay of Bengal usage and mission for BN.

23265e0e.jpg

132514472_21n.jpg
A nuclear powered sub for Bangladesh? Woah people can keep dreaming.

A nuclear powered sub for Bangladesh? Woah people can keep dreaming.

We are not getting any nuke-powered sub at present, but I think sometime in future only nuke-powered subs will be available. US, for example, has stopped making diesel/electric subs long ago, others may follow soon.

Well we established that already. But yes -you have to start somewhere...

I hear Indonesia is getting the 'Nagapasa Class' Chang Bogo subs (modified type 209) from S. Korea and has ordered Kilos. For being 1200 ton subs, Chang Bogos are quite expensive. Your experience with these subs are going to be valuable for us.

Did Indonesia have other types of subs before this? I can't find any references.

Saw a recent article in your media (from S'pore academic nonetheless) discouraging Indonesian sub purchase,

http://www.thejakartapost.com/academia/2016/09/27/time-to-rethink-indonesias-submarine-dreams.html

Well we established that already. But yes -you have to start somewhere...

I hear Indonesia is getting the 'Nagapasa Class' Chang Bogo subs (modified type 209) from S. Korea and has ordered Kilos. For being 1200 ton subs, Chang Bogos are quite expensive. Your experience with these subs are going to be valuable for us.

Did Indonesia have other types of subs before this? I can't find any references.

Saw a recent article in your media (from S'pore academic nonetheless) discouraging Indonesian sub purchase,

http://www.thejakartapost.com/academia/2016/09/27/time-to-rethink-indonesias-submarine-dreams.html

CBG class is 1400 ton class subs, the equipment inside is comparable to the latest U214 from HDW and the price had included rights for the design.

Well in 60's era we operating at least 12 Whiskey class Submarines. Not even India can match our Navy in number of operational surface combatant ships and underwater forces and qualitatively... the real hurdles is logistics and experiences of the crew in which very lacking

armadakapalselamindonesia.png

meanwhile for today is quite the opposite, we got better in logistic and crew experiences and training (thanks to cooperation and exposure with Western Navies) but with smaller and much leaner fleets forces

We are not getting any nuke-powered sub at present, but I think sometime in future only nuke-powered subs will be available. US, for example, has stopped making diesel/electric subs long ago, others may follow soon.
US will not sell subs to anyone...
Russia and China can be the only vendors and they prefer reliability over cost..
So diesel powered aren't to be stopped anytime soon...

When the choice is submarine, then my choice is this...................:enjoy:
East or West German is the best.............:pop:

Back
Top Bottom