What's new

Bangladesh Navy

I would like to ask a question
:ashamed:

Bangladesh buys 2 OPV Castle class from Britain (1.427 ton 81 m x 11.5 m Maximum speed 18 knots) for the Navy, arrived in Bangladesh, we shall embark 1 AK-176 76mm, 4 anti-ship missiles C-704, two Oerlikon 20mm, effectively turning them into missile corvette

Then buys 4 ASW corvette Minerva class (1.285 ton 87 m x 10.5 m Maximum speed 25 knots) from Italy and change in OPV for the Coast Guard

???

Bangladesh buys 2 OPV Castle class from Britain (1.427 ton 81 m x 11.5 m Maximum speed 18 knots) for the Navy, arrived in Bangladesh, we shall embark 1 AK-176 76mm, 4 anti-ship missiles C-704, two Oerlikon 20mm, effectively turning them into missile corvette

Then buys 4 ASW corvette Minerva class (1.285 ton 87 m x 10.5 m Maximum speed 25 knots) from Italy and change in OPV for the Coast Guard

???

Minerva class corvettes used to serve as sea policing, patrolling and fishery control in Italian navy as well. BD massively lacking in coast guard capability. We have seen recent years some massive human trafficking, drugs-arms trade and fish theft in the Bay of Bengal. I think that is the main reason they took some bold steps to go for Minerva class. And before choosing the Castle class for navy imo is caused by priority misplaced. It makes more sense to give Castle class and Padma class to Coast guard and give Minerva class to Navy. But all decision are already made so we cant do anything.

???

When BN inducted the Island class and Castle class,it was in a critical situation.The growing and pressing need for high sea-long endurance patrol was a role BN was lacking. Dispute with Myanmar on maritime boundary and increasing illegal activities in high sea,forced them to go for a immediate solution.This is why Castle class was inducted and upgraded.It is slow,but have a good range and endurance,can land a helicopter if needed,and currently it is supporting the special operation forces of BN. But they will be retired by 2025 when BN completes the induction of new Type 56B corvettes and Durjoy class LPC. Minerva class is a good ship,but BN will not induct old off the shelf ships anymore at least in Corvette-Light Frigate category.New Durjoy class and type 56 will take up the ASW role. BN will give away the medium endurance patrol to Coast Guard by 2020 after the delivery of Minerva and homebuilt IPV's and high endurance patrol by 2025.It will only carry out the blue water defense and combat roles by 2030.

BD already rejected this ship in favor of type 56.You will see no CODOG powered combatants less then 3000 tons in BN,not now or even in future.Yes,that means only a major surface combatants like a destroyer will be CODOG powered in BN.

There are reasons behind this. BN will not visit the same path like the 80's-90's again.They have learned there lesson about logistical nightmares.If it was the Project 2038.x Steregushchy,there would have been a possibility.As Russian Navy recently selected Chinese CODOD systems to power this class.And in future a Russian frigate or destroyer if they choose Chinese gas turbines.But still the possibility is zero; as Russian platforms are very pricey and they have bad name for spare shortage.

Every future class of major surface combatants will have common origin for propulsion and combat systems and will come with a TOT.And you will not see a 1500-2000 ton class induction for a long time after the planned 8 Type 56 corvettes gets inducted.After that BN might again go for modified Type 56 which will incorporate major upgareds like AESA-VLS-cruise missile capability etc.

Keep in mind BN is very much concentrated on having a NET-centric three dimensional Blue Water Navy.Having common philosophy design-building-induction of fleet means strong uninterrupted logistics,easy maintenance,high availability of fleet. Induction of Padma class PC, Durjoy class LPC, Type 56 corvettes is proof of this philosophy.

Regards.

Great points - all !

I also see a need for 'Amphibious assault strategy' take front and center stage eventually at BN and at the Army (Joint Operations). Whether Dokdo class or San Giorgio class we have to have local yards build these as well with ToT.

China is thinking of copying the French 'Mistral class'. and then they already have this one,

Together with amphibious assault personnel carriers (ZBD 2000?), you've got a dynamite combination.

I also see a need for 'Amphibious assault strategy' take front and center stage eventually at BN and at the Army (Joint Operations). Whether Dokdo class or San Giorgio class we have to have local yards build these as well with ToT.

China is thinking of copying the French 'Mistral class'. and then they already have this one

Bro,I have seen all friends go gaga on the other thread on this.But consider the facts. BN currently has no way or need of such ships like DOKO Class or San Giorgio. BN will need to strengthen and build their Surface and Sub-surface fleet first. BN targets at least 10 frigate strong fleet after that they will need to go after major combatants like destroyers.10-15 frigates are no where enough to cover and support a amphibious landing. But If BN has some 10-15 frigate and few destroyers and commissions the much envisioned maritime strike fighters then it can go for amphibious assets.But even then considering BD's threat perceptions and real time monetary capabilities, induction of more LCU, LST,and hovercrafts will be what BN should seriously look into. Small but proven and efficient,less money to buy and maintain.

Mixed group of small LCU and LST and Hovercrafts for fast landing covered by destroyers and frigates,and strike fighters from air will be enough for BD. We have discussed it previously too. The probability is BN will go after some LST from China/Indonesia with TOT.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply.
Here are some images when working in dry dock
8tUtQGA.jpg

lXRsn4U.jpg

Boarding one of the four diesel generators Isotta Fraschini ID-36-SS-12V, after being completely overhauled

ywKSRWk.jpg

photos classekilo/naviearmatori

thanks for the reply.
Here are some images when working in dry dock
8tUtQGA.jpg

lXRsn4U.jpg

Boarding one of the four diesel generators Isotta Fraschini ID-36-SS-12V, after being completely overhauled

ywKSRWk.jpg

photos classekilo/naviearmatori
thanks, when will be ready to sail for Bangladesh ?

I do not know the delivery time, however, these are images taken during the work at the shipyard in Genoa, currently at the Naval Arsenal of the Italian Navy in La Spezia to finish the construction.
The last photos are of March 2016 below,
After the first test firing starts the "running" diesel engine on starboard Syed Nazrul PL-771
normal_1458675356.jpg

The Minerva-class ships are very beautiful to look
normal_1450201188.jpg

photo naviearmatori + Parodi

:unsure: I remain curious to know what kind of weapon will be installed at the bow in place of 76/62 Compact

I do not know the delivery time, however, these are images taken during the work at the shipyard in Genoa, currently at the Naval Arsenal of the Italian Navy in La Spezia to finish the construction.
The last photos are of March 2016 below,
After the first test firing starts the "running" diesel engine on starboard Syed Nazrul PL-771
normal_1458675356.jpg

The Minerva-class ships are very beautiful to look
normal_1450201188.jpg

photo naviearmatori + Parodi

:unsure: I remain curious to know what kind of weapon will be installed at the bow in place of 76/62 Compact

Most probably Mark .38 or a 40mm auto cannon.:unsure:

After the striping of radars it looks bare.:undecided:

I thought initially that the Coast Guard requires the creation of a flight deck for helicopters, very important for maritime surveillance and rescue missions, but it did not happen.

Last edited:
Bro,I have seen all friends go gaga on the other thread on this.But consider the facts. BN currently has no way or need of such ships like DOKO Class or San Giorgio. BN will need to strengthen and build their Surface and Sub-surface fleet first. BN targets at least 10 frigate strong fleet after that they will need to go after major combatants like destroyers.10-15 frigates are no where enough to cover and support a amphibious landing. But If BN has some 10-15 frigate and few destroyers and commissions the much envisioned maritime strike fighters then it can go for amphibious assets.But even then considering BD's threat perceptions and real time monetary capabilities, induction of more LCU, LST,and hovercrafts will be what BN should seriously look into. Small but proven and efficient,less money to buy and maintain.

Mixed group of small LCU and LST and Hovercrafts for fast landing covered by destroyers and frigates,and strike fighters from air will be enough for BD. We have discussed it previously too. The probability is BN will go after some LST from China/Indonesia with TOT.

I had some suspicions about the LHD class too. Way too premature...and you confirmed my suspicions.

So what type of LST are we talking about?

Chinese Type 072A LST (here pennant number 911 TianZhuShan) of 4200 tons?

Type_072A-class_LST_911_TianZhuShan.jpg
2016-072A-003.jpg
baxian_shan.jpg

This is the former version Type 072 (no 'A')
LST_zpsb3bbfb83.jpg

Or Indonesian LST (KRI Teluk Bintuni) of 5200 tons?

42KRI-Teluk-Bintuni-Berlayar.jpg
bintuni.jpg
image36.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

"On 17 June 2015 the Indonesian Navy (Tentara Nasional Indonesia – Angkatan Laut, or TNI-AL) received an indigenous landing ship tank (LST) vessel from the shipbuilder PT Daya Radar Utama (PT DRU) in a handover ceremony held by the Indonesian Ministry of Defense (MoD). The vessel, KRI Teluk Bintuni (520), had been commissioned earlier into the TNI-AL’s Military Sea Lift Command (Kolinlamil) but was returned to the shipbuilder after commissioning ceremony for further works.

According to specifications provided by the shipbuilder, Teluk Bintuni has a top speed of 16 kt and can accommodate up to 120 crews. The 5,200-tonne LST has a length of 120 m, a beam of 18 m, and a draft of 3 m. It is powered by two South Korean-built STX MAN 9L27/38 engines, each rated at 3,285 kW at 800 rpm.

Its payload is around 2,300 tonnes, which translates to 18 Leopard 2A4 main battle tanks, one armoured bridge-laying vehicle, and a transporter; alternatively, this payload capacity enables the LST to carry 15 BMP-3F infantry fighting vehicles instead. The LST has a 90-tonne turntable to facilitate rapid vehicle loading and unloading, made by state-owned military equipment manufacturer PT Pindad, which has also supplied other deck equipment such as cranes.

The LST can carry around 350 troops, apart from its crew. The ship also can embark one medium helicopter, according to PT DRU. It is armed with a single 40 mm Bofors L70 gun, a 20 mm cannon, and two heavy machine guns."

Last edited:
I had some suspicions about the LHD class too. Way too premature...and you confirmed my suspicions.

2016-072A-003.jpg
baxian_shan.jpg

LST_zpsb3bbfb83.jpg

bintuni.jpg
image36.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

"On 17 June 2015 the Indonesian Navy (Tentara Nasional Indonesia – Angkatan Laut, or TNI-AL) received an indigenous landing ship tank (LST) vessel from the shipbuilder PT Daya Radar Utama (PT DRU) in a handover ceremony held by the Indonesian Ministry of Defense (MoD). The vessel, KRI Teluk Bintuni (520), had been commissioned earlier into the TNI-AL’s Military Sea Lift Command (Kolinlamil) but was returned to the shipbuilder after commissioning ceremony for further works.

According to specifications provided by the shipbuilder, Teluk Bintuni has a top speed of 16 kt and can accommodate up to 120 crews. The 5,200-tonne LST has a length of 120 m, a beam of 18 m, and a draft of 3 m. It is powered by two South Korean-built STX MAN 9L27/38 engines, each rated at 3,285 kW at 800 rpm.

Its payload is around 2,300 tonnes, which translates to 18 Leopard 2A4 main battle tanks, one armoured bridge-laying vehicle, and a transporter; alternatively, this payload capacity enables the LST to carry 15 BMP-3F infantry fighting vehicles instead. The LST has a 90-tonne turntable to facilitate rapid vehicle loading and unloading, made by state-owned military equipment manufacturer PT Pindad, which has also supplied other deck equipment such as cranes.

The LST can carry around 350 troops, apart from its crew. The ship also can embark one medium helicopter, according to PT DRU. It is armed with a single 40 mm Bofors L70 gun, a 20 mm cannon, and two heavy machine guns."

The Indonesian options sounds really good,almost haff battalion with supply or half of a tank brigade,it's actually great.I hope they go for it.

If Indonesia can provide some good financial terms like China,BN might go after these.But as the China factor for bd is always very good financial terms with almost zero interest,long payment time and already offers a friendly price it has always worked for BD.

2016-072A-003.jpg
baxian_shan.jpg

LST_zpsb3bbfb83.jpg

bintuni.jpg
image36.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

what is the operational range off Indonesian LST ?

Back
Top Bottom