What's new

Bangladesh Navy

BCG recently received two examples of locally built 17m Harbour Patrol Boats (HPB) named 'Baleshwar class'.

DSCF2485.jpg

DSCF2487.jpg

Couple of Keel laying and contract-signing events at DEW Narayanganj
3.2.jpg

DSCF8401.jpg

Does not look that bad to me.... Anyhow hopefully these would be stepping stone to more lethal sub surface fleet.

this sub will be used for training purpose so they can buy better sub in future

Some nostalgic old Navy pictures (some from training exercises)

BNS Osman firing Silkworm SY-1A
6355120555_59075bc572_b.jpg

BNS OSMAN
Class and type: Modified Type 053H frigate
Name: Osman
Builder: Hudong Shipyard, Shanghai
Laid down: 1986
Launched: July 14, 1987
Acquired: 1989
Commissioned: November 4, 1989
In service: 1989-Present
Reclassified: 053H1/Jianghu-II (Mod.)

Displacement: 1,702 standard, 1,902+ full load
Length: 103.2 m
Beam: 10.8 m
Propulsion: Two type 12 E 390V diesels; 14,400 hp (m) (10.6MW) sustained, 2 shafts
Speed: 26+ knots
Range: 2,700 mi (4,300 km) at 18 knots
Capacity: 150 person
Complement: 300 (27 officers)

Sensors and
processing systems:

Radar System:
Surface: Square Tie (Type 254); I-band
Air & Surface: MX 902 Eye Shield (Type 922-1); G-band
Navigation: Fin Curve (Type 352); I-band
Fire Control: Wok Won director (Type 752A); Square Tie (Type 254), I-band
Echo Type 5 (Hull Mounted)

Electronic warfare and decoys: Watchdog; Radar warning

Armament:

Missiles: AShM - 2x4 C-802A
Guns:
2x China 3.9 in (100 mm) /56 (twin)
1x Creusot-Loire 3.9 in (100 mm) /55 (Type II)
12x China 37 mm /63 (6 twin)
Torpedoes: 6x 324 mm LAS (2 triple) tubes (Type II), 1x Whitehead A 244S, 2x RBU 1200 5-tubed fixed launchers
D/C: 2 × BMB-2 projectors; 2 ranks
Mines: Can carry up to 60
Decoys: 2 × loral Hycor SRBOC Mk 36
6-barreled chaff launcher
Notes: Pennant number: F-18

osman2.jpg

bns-osman-image3.jpg

More recently, BNS Osman firing C-802. Most silkworms in BN service have been replaced by C-802.....
6355120853_55dfce5fdf_z.jpg
6355121415_422dab0e3c_z.jpg

BNS BANGABANDHU

Class and type: Modified Ulsan II Class
Ordered:1998
Builder: Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering, Republic of Korea
Laid down:March 11, 1998
Launched:August 29, 2000
Commissioned:June 20, 2001
In service:2001-Present
Homeport: Chittagong

6355127323_f4d60b71ae_b.jpg

6355143385_9b1eeef48d_b.jpg

jYxOBuN.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more random BN images,

BNS BARKAT - Haizhui Class Coastal Patrol Craft (Also known as type 062 Shanghai I & II class).
6368997019_02067f6063_z.jpg

Type: Gunboat
Displacement: Shanghai-I class :
125 tonnes (123 long tons; 138 short tons) full
Shanghai-II class :
135 tonnes (133 long tons; 149 short tons) full
Length: Shanghai-I class : 36 m (118 ft 1 in)
Shanghai-II class : 38.78 m (127 ft 3 in)
Beam: Shanghai-I class : 5.5 m (18 ft 1 in)
Shanghai-II class : 5.41 m (17 ft 9 in)
Draft: Shanghai-I class : 1.6 m (5 ft 3 in)
Shanghai-II class : 1.55 m (5 ft 1 in)
Propulsion: 2 × Soviet M50F-4 diesel engines, 1,200 hp (895 kW)
2 × 12D6 diesel engines, 910 hp (679 kW)
4 × shafts
Speed: 28.5 knots (52.8 km/h; 32.8 mph)
Range: 750 nmi (1,390 km) at 16.5 knots (30.6 km/h; 19.0 mph)
Complement: 36
Sensors and
processing systems: 1 × navigational or surface search radar
Armament: Shanghai-I class :
• 1 × twin Type 66 57 mm (2.2 in) gun
• 4 × Type 61 25 mm (0.98 in) guns (2×2)
• 8 × Depth charges
Shanghai-II class :
• 4 × Chinese Type 61 37 mm (1.5 in) guns (2×2)
• 4 × Chinese Type 61 25 mm (0.98 in) guns (2×2)
• 1 × Chinese 81 mm (3.2 in) recoilless gun (some)
• 8 × Depth charges

6369040693_5068c381ac.jpg

AN OPV (Offshore Patrol Vessel) and a FAC (Fast Attack Craft) of BN on BNFD SUNDARBAN (BNFD - Bangladesh Navy Floating Dock).
6369014821_9b1e8bdfa2_b.jpg

Recent additions are RHIBs - Rigid Hull Inflatable boats for harbor patrol and coastal use in BN and Bangladesh Coast Guard. These are US made 25 foot Defender class boats with outboard engines, the same spec that are used in US Navy and US Coast Guard service.
Safeboats-Defender-USCG.jpg

The USCG equivalents
130411-G-VC567-173.jpg
3668766535_bd6180ab9b_b.jpg

RHIBS and Rapid Response class boats like these are often launched from the rear or side of larger corvettes or frigates to investigate and mitigate smaller threats (often rogue or pirate threats).

Last edited:
Latest News:

Khulna shipyard has started the process to build two Durjoy Class LPC.Kell laying ceremony will be held on 6'th September.PM herself will inaugurate the ships building.Both ship will be delivered in two years.Each ship will cost Tk 400 corer.

BN and Khulna Shipyard signed a contract for two Durjoy class LPC on July 30'th 2014.

Specs-

length- 64 meter
Beam-9 meter
Draft-4 meter

Will incorporate -
-AShM
-ASW

I read somewhere that Indonesia offered a new corvette with ToT....I wish the news is true...in fact govt of Bangladesh should try to ink any deal with ToT..that will help us to become self reliant in near future.....BTY...Prothom Alo published a news saying that BOF is going to export small arms and ammunitions..to which country they are being exported..any news?

Mongla: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday said two submarines will join the navy fleet in mid-2016 as part of efforts to build a skilled, modern and balanced three-dimensional Navy.

The Prime Minister was addressing a function at the commissioning of locally built country’s first oil fleet tanker BNS Khan Jahangir Ali, two landing craft utilities BNS Sandwip and BNS Hatia as well as handing over of two landing craft tank (LCT) LCT-103 and LCT-105 at the Naval Berth at Mongla, Bagerhat.

Sheikh Hasina said all concerned will have to remain active in continuing the efforts of making the Bangladesh Navy as a technology-based costly force, befitting with the limited resources of the country.

Stressing that Bangladesh does not want war, the Prime Minister vowed to build standard battle ship in the country in near future.

She said her government will equip Bangladesh Navy for protecting sea resources and curbing smuggling of arms and goods through round-the-clock patrol in maritime areas as well as keeping the marine routes open even during any war.

Paying profound respect to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Hasina said the great leader immediately after the country’s independence had taken strong measures to establish a strong naval force to protect the country’s maritime boundary.

Due to geographical position and strategic reasons, she said, the role of Bangladesh Navy in protecting Bangladesh’s maritime boundary and its resources is undeniable.

The Prime Minister said though Bangladesh Navy had started its journey with only two patrol craft, that small navy is now going to be transformed into a dignified three-dimensional force thanks to materializing the farsighted thought of Bangabandhu.

She mentioned that Bangladesh Navy has got the global recognition for its various contributions to international arena, including the UN peacekeeping mission.

Turning to her present government’s initiatives for the development of Bangladesh Navy, the Prime Minister said her administration has adopted short and long-term plans to build the navy as an effective force.

Under the plan, she said, most modern survey ship BNS Onusandhan, maritime helicopter and maritime patrol aircraft, two missile frigates, a US-made frigate, two missile corvettes and five patrol craft made by Khulna Shipyard were inducted in the navy.

Hasina said another US-made frigate BNS Samudra Ovijan and two modern corvettes BNS Pratya and BNS Swadhinata being built in China would be added to the navy fleet this yea.

She said a special force named ‘Special Warfare Diving and Savage (SWAD)’ has been added to the navy for unconventional warfare.

Referring to the fleet tanker made in the country’s shipyard for the first time with local and foreign technologies, Hasina a said a new chapter in the continuous progress of Bangladesh Navy was opened up today with it.

Earlier, on her arrival at the Mongla Naval Berth, the Prime Minister was received by Navy Chief Vice Admiral M Farid Habib and the regional commander of Navy. A smartly turned out contingent of Navy gave guard of honour to the Prime Minister. She inspected the guard and took salute.

The Prime Minster formally handed over the commissioning order and induction order to the commanders of the ships and unveiled the name plaques of the ships.

Ministers, State Ministers, lawmakers, members of diplomatic corps, the chiefs of the three services and high civil and military officials were present.

2 submarines to join navy fleet in mid-2016: PM

mid 2016 sub induct is a long way still wish to see more ships quickly

Wanted to post a link for a video for one of the Canadian frigates (HMCS Calgary) patrolling the Straits of Hormuz - the video includes a very realistic simulation of the frigate being attacked by hostile aircraft and go-fast boats (presumably Iranian). Very interesting and informative for non-Navy people.

It's on Hulu so there will be some ads.

Watch Warships Online - Half a World Away | Hulu

It's a smart thing they named the replenishment/supply vessel as BNS Khan Jahan Ali (our prominent Sufi saint local to where KSY is located). This way there is no controversy about naming yet another vessel after some prominent political person i.e. belonging to the AL.I hear the new airport in Mongla is going to be named after him as well...great decision. :-)

What is the one that says Nou Kollan? Looks like a tanker. Nice of them to hang a picture of SHW draped on the side...a bit of sucking up since she approves the budgets...

Also - did SHW already lay keels for the two দুর্জয় ক্লাস?

This was supposed to happen right about now...

Last edited:
It's a smart thing they named the replenishment/supply vessel as BNS Khan Jahan Ali (our prominent Sufi saint local to where KSY is located). This way there is no controversy about naming yet another vessel after some prominent political person i.e. belonging to the AL.I hear the new airport in Mongla is going to be named after him as well...great decision. :-)

What is the one that says Nou Kollan? Looks like a tanker. Nice of them to hang a picture of SHW draped on the side...a bit of sucking up since she approves the budgets...

Yes we are waiting for this airport long times. Padma Bridge and Air Port will be the next big thing for South West. All the airports are now named after prominent Sufis, these behind the minds really deserve credit. Local people happy, no political confusion, no one to challenge.

Also - did SHW already lay keels for the two দুর্জয় ক্লাস?

This was supposed to happen right about now...

Keel laying ceremony of 2 Durjoy class LPC

11218977_1037812649593050_8274010122041341533_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom