What's new

Bangladesh Hindu Grand Alliance demands three-day holidays for Durga Puja

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2016...nce-demands-three-day-holidays-for-durga-puja
Home > Bangladesh
Bangladesh Hindu Grand Alliance demands three-day holidays for Durga Puja
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 2016-06-25 16:50:11.0 BdST Updated: 2016-06-25 16:50:11.0 BdST

• 126_Hazari_Golli_Durga_Puja_Ctg_290914.jpg

File Photo
The Bangladesh National Hindu Grand Alliance has demanded a three-day holiday for the Durga Puja, instead of one-day, for celebrating the festival ‘smoothly’.

Secretary General of the Alliance Gobinda Chandra Pramanik raised the demand at a press briefing in Dhaka on Saturday.

He said though the Constitution ensures equal rights, Hindus get only one-day holiday during their biggest festival, but Muslims enjoy three-day holiday during Eid.

“We’re deprived of enjoying the festival because of one-day holiday,” he said.

The Alliance organised the briefing to protest what they said ‘false, misleading and defamatory’ write up by Prof Muntassir Mamoon.

Pramanik said Mamoon had alleged in a 'Janakantha' Bengali daily article that he was the religious affairs secretary of the Jamaat-e-Islami that opposed Bangladesh’s independence.

He threatened legal action unless Mamoon along with the editor and publisher of the newspaper apologised for the article.

The secretary general also referred to attacks on minorities in Bangladesh and demanded 60 reserved seats in Parliament for Hindus to give them a moral boost.

He also demanded a separate ministry for minority affairs in Bangladesh.

If eid and other islamic dates are held as holidays and in reverence then Hindu rituals and festivals should also be included. Thats how a secular and equal country actually operates. I wish the best to Bengal and its religious diversity.

I think Hindu, Buddhist or Christian people should be given holidays respective to their festivals, exclusive to their communities. The whole country has no reason to spend a working day for that. Also their ccommunities should be limited to enjoy Muslim festival holidays in that case.

If eid and other islamic dates are held as holidays and in reverence then Hindu rituals and festivals should also be included. Thats how a secular and equal country actually operates. I wish the best to Bengal and its religious diversity.
I think individual Hindus should get 3 days holiday instead of general population.100 percent Bangladeshi get 1 day holiday for Hindu,Buddist and Christian celebration although they constitute 10%, 0.6% and 0.4% of population respectively.It would be extreme to make sit idle the 100 percent population for 3days for the celebration of 10 percent community.Bangladesh is very much generous on that account.There are many democratic countries in the world who don't give any universal holiday for even a big religious minority.

Hindus, Buddhists and Christians enjoy more religious holidays in BD than even in India. In comparison, Muslim festivals are observed as sectional/optional holidays state to state variance. However, only two days, ie Eid are national holidays.

I think this holiday issue should be raised at UN level since Muslims in most of the European countries despite having significant populations, do not get any holidays on Eids. There should be some universal laws and guidelines that followers of each major religion should get a few religions per annum, even the number can be fixed.

I think this holiday issue should be raised at UN level since Muslims in most of the European countries despite having significant populations, do not get any holidays on Eids. There should be some universal laws and guidelines that followers of each major religion should get a few religions per annum, even the number can be fixed.

In the US, neither of the two Eids are counted as holidays. Muslims can take the days off as vacation days however.

What? Three holidays?
Even in India they have two hoildays during durga puja. One is at the start and the next is at the asthami.

Smells like mukti bani is on move again... good luck hasina.

The reason why eid Holiday is three days is because eid is celebrated 3 days. Whereas most other religion does their festival in one day. Anyways. If they want it give it to me. Make people from other communities go to work. And during eid or Christmas grant people of respective religions holidays and make others... Hindus Buddhist work. Simple solution. Your economy still goes on and the enjoyment too!

The reason why eid Holiday is three days is because eid is celebrated 3 days. Whereas most other religion does their festival in one day. Anyways. If they want it give it to me. Make people from other communities go to work. And during eid or Christmas grant people of respective religions holidays and make others... Hindus Buddhist work. Simple solution. Your economy still goes on and the enjoyment too!

Thats how it is done informally in most of the cases.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom