What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

I don't know if they have outsized influence - but they do have some very powerful companies under SKS with good market-share.

The private sector has grown leaps and bounds for the last two decades and SKS companies do not comprise a large part of the economy anymore, per my calculation. The companies are profitable however.
So they operated on market basis and didn’t prevent other companies from entering the field. Wish that was the case in Pakistan as well. :(

So they operated on market basis and didn’t prevent other companies from entering the field. Wish that was the case in Pakistan as well. :(

No - there is no attempt (as far as I know) of hogging market-share in Bangladesh by SKS companies - at least for consumer goods.

However the military makes a large part of their money by getting large contracts for building DOHS installations and Bridges/Freeways etc. where the standard of work is more or less good (better than smaller private companies) and also, local goondas or MPs cannot fight with them on illegal encroachments of govt. land.

Among the few new DOHS projects they are designing and building is this one - Jolshiri, which is going to be a "smart city" whatever that means. It is also adjacent to a large 14 lane expressway they are completing via a subcontractor.

1693247403589.png

1693247566379.png

1693247470203.png

1693247652408.png

1693247521583.png

1693247247961.png

1693247268641.png

1693247326779.png

1693247355773.png

Expressway
1693247712977.png

The inspiration for the new DOHS was a large circular commercial center designed in 1967, in Orange County (about forty miles South of Los Angeles) called Fashion Island.

1693248219206.png

Early 1970's
1693248283973.png

Today
1693248336176.png

Attachments

• 1693247135138.png
    1693247135138.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
No - there is no attempt (as far as I know) of hogging market-share in Bangladesh by SKS companies - at least for consumer goods.

However how the military makes a large part of their money is by getting large contracts for building DOHS installations and Bridges/Freeways etc. where the standard of work is more or less good and also, local goondas or MPs cannot fight with them on illegal encroachments of govt. land.

Among the few new DOHS projects they are designing and building is this one - Jolshiri, which is going to be a "smart city" whatever that means. It is also adjacent to a large 14 lane expressway they are completing via a subcontractor.

View attachment 949415

View attachment 949419

View attachment 949416

View attachment 949421

View attachment 949418

View attachment 949411

View attachment 949412

View attachment 949413

View attachment 949414

Expressway
View attachment 949422

The inspiration for the new DOHS was a large circular commercial center designed in 1967, in Orange County (about forty miles South of Los Angeles) called Fashion Island.

View attachment 949423

Early 1970's
View attachment 949424

Today
View attachment 949425
Nice pictures:-)

However how the military makes a large part of their money is by getting large contracts for building DOHS installations and Bridges/Freeways etc. where the standard of work is more or less good and also, local goondas or MPs cannot fight with them on illegal encroachments of govt. land.

View attachment 949415

View attachment 949419

View attachment 949416

View attachment 949421

View attachment 949418

View attachment 949411

View attachment 949412

View attachment 949413

View attachment 949414

Expressway
View attachment 949422

View attachment 949423

Early 1970's
View attachment 949424

Today
View attachment 949425
Does it supplement actual defense spending or support the life style of military officers?

Does it supplement actual defense spending or support the life style of military officers?
No to both. I believe trust was founded to look after the interests and welfare of retired armed forces personnel.

Fauji foundations in Bangladesh and Pakistan work differently and have different roles.

Nice pictures:-)

These pictures of Jolshiri were shared many years ago. They are in land-development phase now. Central park of the project and one of the mosques at Jolshiri are complete.

But the 24th army engg. battalion has good reputation in completing these types of projects.

There was also another Singapore designed DOHS project to be done near Mirpur someplace. That is still in the backburner to some degree.

No to both. I believe trust was founded to look after the interests and welfare of retired armed forces personnel.

Fauji foundations in Bangladesh and Pakistan work differently and have different roles.
So it’s basically a regular conglomerate, competing in the open market without preference, that is like a investment/pension fund for retired military, enlisted and officer?

Btw, great pictures. Also, Orange County, CA back in the day was really something special. I guess we can say, very inspirational.

So it’s basically a regular conglomerate, competing in the open market without preference, that is like a investment/pension fund for retired military, enlisted and officer?

Btw, great pictures. Also, Orange County, CA back in the day was really something special. I guess we can say, very inspirational.

Yes - affirmative on all points.

ADB outlines Bangladesh's $286b potential in 14-district corridor. By 2050, the region's economic potential is estimated to be $286 billion, according to donor agency Asian Development Bank, ADB. This corridor will extend from Khulna division through Dhaka to Sylhet and Mymensingh in the northeast. This possibility was raised in a report of the organization published in an event in the capital on August 23. By 2025, this corridor will create 23 lakh additional jobs. By the year 2050 which will increase to 4 crore 7 lakh.

Today (Sunday) I am taking my mother to Purbachal. The main reason for our trip is to see the Purbachal Expressway at close quarters.

Yes have a nice trip. Try to make it to the Dhaka Boat Club as well sometime if you know one of the members - nice place to spend an afternoon. It is on the banks of the Turag. Brand new place, they haven't completed landscaping.

Yes have a nice trip. Try to make it to the Dhaka Boat Club as well sometime if you know one of the members - nice place to spend an afternoon. It is on the banks of the Turag. Brand new place, they haven't completed landscaping.

Will try to make it to the Dhaka Boat Club next time :-) The work for the water supply is going on in sectors 10 and 11.

Growing and exporting pesticide free vegetables to overseas countries from Bangladesh. I got a kick out of what the farmer said.

The vegetable shown is Spiny Gourd - the name refers to this variety of gourd is a small green gourd with tiny spines. It is also called Teasel Gourd in English.

It is also referred to as Kakrol, Kakora, Kartoli, Kankada, Kankoda, Phagil, Phagla, Boda Kakarakaya and Kartole locally in various parts of India.

And this is how you cook this stuff Bengali style.

Last edited:

Furniture export investments in Bangladesh

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom