What's new

Bangladesh could acquire Istanbul-class frigates from Turkey

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
According to a report published by Defseca on 20 July 2021, the Bangladesh Navy, which is looking for new frigates, may finally acquire Istanbul-class frigates from the Turkish company STM, despite the offers from China, Netherlands and Italy.
Follow Navy Recognition on Google News at this link

Russian Vyborg Shipyard laid the Purga ice class coastguard ship of project 23550 925 001
Delivery of the first Istanbul-class frigate F515 (Picture source: Facebook account of Turkish Navy)

The Istanbul-class is a new generation of frigates developed under the MILGEM Turkish warship program as the I-class frigate.

The Istanbul-class frigate, also referred to as TF100 and TF2000, has been designed to perform Anti-Air Warfare (AAW) missions carrying ESSM missiles as well as Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW). The ship has a length of 113.2 m, a beam of 14.40 m, a draft of 4.05 m and a displacement of 3,000 tones.

The Istanbul-class frigate is powered by a CODAG (Combined Diesel and Das) type main propulsion system including 1 gas turbine and 2 diesel engines. The ship can reach a top speed of 29 kn (54 km/h; 33 mph) with a maximum cruising range of 6,570 nmi (12,170 km; 7,560 mi) at 14 kn (26 km/h; 16 mph). She will have a crew of 125 sailors.

The Istanbul-class frigate has an operational capability of 15 days without replenishment. The ship has a hangar and a landing deck to carry S-70B Seahawk ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) helicopter and Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV)/

The Istanbul-class frigate is armed with one 76 mm (3 in) Oto Melara Super Rapid naval gun, two 25 mm (0.98 in) Aselsan STOP remotely operated weapon stations, one CIWS (Close-In Weapon Station), 16 Mk 41 VLS (Vertical Launching System) able to launch Harpoon or Atmaca anti-ship missiles, 16Mk.41 VLS for ESSM designed to counter supersonic maneuvering anti-ship missiles and two 324 mm (13 in) Double Torpedo launchers.

Bangladesh could acquire Istanbul-class frigates from Turkey (navyrecognition.com)

Hopefully this is selected. Can it accommodate Aster-15 or Sea-Ceptor in its VLS is the question. the anti-ship missiles will help maintain the edge BN has over MN

better to use Turkish Missiles

G-40 Missile

The G-40 is an air defense missile using GÖKDOGAN air to air missile technologies that can reach 40 km range and 40.000 feet altitude
1627053961498.png

ATMACA Anti ship Missile

Length : 6 m
Weight : 800 kg
Warhead : 250 kg
Range : 250 km
Guidance : INS+GPS+RA+DL
Seeker : Active RF
Speed : high subsonic
Network enabled capability : YES

-- super sea skimming
-- zigzag maneuver that makes it difficult for anti missile batteries

ATMACA anti-ship Missile in super sea skimming mode ( below 3 meters )
1627054104380.png

ATMACA Anti ship Missile

Length : 6 m
Weight : 800 kg
Warhead : 250 kg
Range : 250 km
Guidance : INS+GPS+RA+DL
Seeker : Active RF
Speed : high subsonic
Network enabled capability : YES

-- super sea skimming
-- zigzag maneuver that makes it difficult for anti missile batteries

ATMACA anti-ship Missile in super sea skimming mode ( below 3 meters )
There are reports (semi-official or non-official) that BN is interested in ATMACA.

Pakistan has been included in the MILGEM program by starting the construction of 4 corvettes and will gradually form the backbone of the national ship program with technical know-how obtained from here. Already, the design activities of the next block, frigate-class ship continue.

Ukraine will build 4 corvettes, there is probably a roadmap similar to the Pakistani program, and the frigate they will build in the future will have this infrastructure.

The production quantity being talked about for Bangladesh is 4-6 units. These ships will probably be built in Bangladesh shipyards with an gradually increased domestic contribution.

Meanwhile, there was a KSA tender that was canceled due to the political crisis. It is also one of the three platforms shortlisted in the tender of Colombian future frigate(PES) with the DCNS and Saab-BMT initiative.

Despite some setbacks, MILGEM infrastructure has become a valuable option for countries looking to increase their naval capabilities and advance industrial localization. With the launching of heavy frigates such as the TF-2000/100, the scope of the program and the solutions it offers will be much wider. So we still see a small part of the picture.

Is Pakistan going for NATO (Turkish) Phalanx CIWS or will it be Chinese Type 730?

Pakistan Navy will be the second foreign operator of Aselsan GOKDENIZ CIWS system, just after Turkmenistan.

Last edited:
The production quantity being talked about for Bangladesh is 4-6 units. These ships will probably be built in Bangladesh shipyards with an gradually increased domestic contribution.

You don't know how happy this makes me. :-)

Alhamdu Lillah best news I have heard all year and I hope it becomes true.

There should be closer cooperation between D-8 countries, instead of us helping other nations which does not align with our long term vision. In trade, in defence and in cultural exchanges as well.

This will be a shot in the arm for the local private shipyards in Bangladesh as well (in addition to our three large Naval yards), even if they make smaller subassemblies for integration in the main project. I am sure our Navy will be too happy to pay any necessary expenses to Turkish yards involved for the technology transfer for this project and any other project going forward. They need the experience.

There is already very intense collaboration going on in industrial sectors such as gas and textiles with Turkish companies.

Bangladesh yards have been making defence vessels for a while now, but something the size of Milgem Block II is a new thing.

Agree that the MILGEM modular project with corvette/frigate platforms is ideal for many navies of the size of Bangladesh. Wishing my best to market MILGEM in all regions of the world.

Hope everything works out. :-)

Last edited:

"In the MİLGEM-5 Project, the Combat System Contract for the first frigate (Istanbul Class Frigate) to be designed and built nationally was signed in 2020 and entered into force. Unlike the previous MİLGEM Corvette Platforms in the project:
ALPER Illumination Radar,
Pulse Type LPI Radar,
Extended Band Electronic Warfare Suite,
AKREP Fire Control Radar,
PIRI Infrared Search and Tracking System,
National Torpedo Tube System,
FERSAH Hull Mounted Sonar System,
GÖKDENİZ close-in weapon system,
CENK search radar,
and National IFF System, included in new configuration."

So,
> Instead of Phalanx, the GOKDENIZ CIWS system will be used.

Also,
> Instead of the NATO Mk-41 VLS, a domestic system called MDAS will be used.
> Instead of NATO ESSM, a domestic air defense system with cold&soft launch capable, similar to CAMM-ER, will placed to frigates.
> Work continues on the MKEK 76mm main gun instead of the Oto-Malera. Shoot-tests will begin this year.

According to a report published by Defseca on 20 July 2021, the Bangladesh Navy, which is looking for new frigates, may finally acquire Istanbul-class frigates from the Turkish company STM, despite the offers from China, Netherlands and Italy.
Follow Navy Recognition on Google News at this link

Russian Vyborg Shipyard laid the Purga ice class coastguard ship of project 23550 925 001
Delivery of the first Istanbul-class frigate F515 (Picture source: Facebook account of Turkish Navy)

The Istanbul-class is a new generation of frigates developed under the MILGEM Turkish warship program as the I-class frigate.

The Istanbul-class frigate, also referred to as TF100 and TF2000, has been designed to perform Anti-Air Warfare (AAW) missions carrying ESSM missiles as well as Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW). The ship has a length of 113.2 m, a beam of 14.40 m, a draft of 4.05 m and a displacement of 3,000 tones.

The Istanbul-class frigate is powered by a CODAG (Combined Diesel and Das) type main propulsion system including 1 gas turbine and 2 diesel engines. The ship can reach a top speed of 29 kn (54 km/h; 33 mph) with a maximum cruising range of 6,570 nmi (12,170 km; 7,560 mi) at 14 kn (26 km/h; 16 mph). She will have a crew of 125 sailors.

The Istanbul-class frigate has an operational capability of 15 days without replenishment. The ship has a hangar and a landing deck to carry S-70B Seahawk ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) helicopter and Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV)/

The Istanbul-class frigate is armed with one 76 mm (3 in) Oto Melara Super Rapid naval gun, two 25 mm (0.98 in) Aselsan STOP remotely operated weapon stations, one CIWS (Close-In Weapon Station), 16 Mk 41 VLS (Vertical Launching System) able to launch Harpoon or Atmaca anti-ship missiles, 16Mk.41 VLS for ESSM designed to counter supersonic maneuvering anti-ship missiles and two 324 mm (13 in) Double Torpedo launchers.

Bangladesh could acquire Istanbul-class frigates from Turkey (navyrecognition.com)
Bangladesh navy is surely going through a massive buildup, south asian navies as a whole I would say. Though we don't see eye to eye in many issues, I'm happy to see a stronger Bangladesh.
Does anyone have a roadmap or something on what BN fleet would look like in the future? Say in 10 years.

Bangladesh navy is surely going through a massive buildup, south asian navies as a whole I would say. Though we don't see eye to eye in many issues, I'm happy to see a stronger Bangladesh.
Does anyone have a roadmap or something on what BN fleet would look like in the future? Say in 10 years.
You shouldn't. Anti India sentiment is growing in Bangladesh and Sheikh Hasina won't last long. The moment they get rid of Sheikh Hasina and the moment Bangladesh starts a serious build up of its Air Force it would be really bad news for India because India shares 90 % border with Bangladesh.
Istanbul Class (MILGEM Block 2)

First_I-Class_or_Istanbul-class_frigate_of_MILGEM_project_will_be_launched_in_2020_925_001.jpg

iu

D5q76TKWAAkAf1v.jpg

AlhamduLillah very good news @Zarvan bhai.

Is Pakistan going for NATO (Turkish) Phalanx CIWS or will it be Chinese Type 730?
On Turkish ships it would be either Turkish stuff or from NATO. Not from China.

You shouldn't. Anti India sentiment is growing in Bangladesh and Sheikh Hasina won't last long. The moment they get rid of Sheikh Hasina and the moment Bangladesh starts a serious build up of its Air Force it would be really bad news for India because India shares 90 % border with Bangladesh.
You think Bangladesh will attack India? Never gonna happen unless we attack first. I understand the Bangladeshi mindset, if any country has the capability to attack BD it is India so it makes sense to have a defensive policy centered around it. The rest capability can be used against Myanmar aggression and safeguarding trades routes, port visit to friendly countries, etc.
I see the buildup positively towards securing a nations interests and a more secure Indian ocean.

You think Bangladesh will attack India? Never gonna happen unless we attack first. I understand the Bangladeshi mindset, if any country has the capability to attack BD it is India so it makes sense to have a defensive policy centered around it. The rest capability can be used against Myanmar aggression and safeguarding trades routes, port visit to friendly countries, etc.
I see the buildup positively towards securing a nations interests and a more secure Indian ocean.
I never said they would attack you. But for sure you would be facing three fronts. Eventually tensions would escalate. This Hasina Modi chemistry won't last long. The moment they start doing serious build up of their Air Force and also to some extent Army and then add new submarines also. Trust me it would create big issues. This relationship would only last until Bangladesh doesn't build up its Air Force. The moment that happens you can say it good bye. You are also forgetting growing China's influence in Bangladesh.

Back
Top Bottom