What's new

Bangladesh, a future tiger economy? Indian diplomat thinks so

Why don't you guys allow Indian companies to start manufacturing in your country? This will solve your import addiction for Indian products.
I do not know if the GoB does not encourage investments by India, but it is not bad then. Only non-Indian investments should be allowed in BD including Pakistani and Chinese investments.

India is regarded as an enemy country. However, our BAL govt does it for other reasons. It wants its Chamcha companies to import from India. It helps the BAL party to linger its illegal clinging to power.

Last edited:
I do not know if the GoB does not encourage investments by India, but it is not bad. Only non-Indian investments should be allowed in BD that includes Pakistani and Chinese investments. India is regarded as an enemy country.

However, our BAL govt does it for other reasons. It wants its Chamcha companies to import from India. It helps the BAL party to linger its illegal cringing to power.
Why do you consider India an enemy country? Is it because BAL supports India?

I do not know if the GoB does not encourage investments by India, but it is not bad. Only non-Indian investments should be allowed in BD that includes Pakistani and Chinese investments. India is regarded as an enemy country.

However, our BAL govt does it for other reasons. It wants its Chamcha companies to import from India. It helps the BAL party to linger its illegal cringing to power.

My thoughts exactly.

There are fifth columnists like our commerce minister Tipu Munshi - elected from Rangpur. He happens to be a Hindu - which is actually not a factor.

However he constantly spends time in India and all his local business ventures are all agents of Indian companies - like Delhi Public School, Apollo Hospital etc.

He cannot own part of Indian businesses, lobby for Indian businesses here in Bangladesh, be a board member at his publicly listed companies (STS Group) and be a commerce minister at the same time.

These are severe conflicts of interest in any situation in any country. If this was India, they would make him resign his ministerial portfolio, but this is a lawless country we have, where Hasina's corrupt ministers can break laws any way they want. It's free-for-all.

This idiot was going to West Bengal and power-brokering to CM Mamta Banerjee, as if he represented Bangladesh, giving them hope that Bangladeshi companies would invest in WB. He went to Assam, met with CM Sarbananda Sonowal and promised the same thing.

More ways to siphon money to India.

Now this is what you call a deshdrohi, India-chamcha.

I have some choice words for this minister, but I will resist.

We consider India as an enemy because it interferes in our affairs.

More specifically, not only in politics (which is a given) but also in how much tariff will be placed on Indian imports.

This govt. in Bangladesh under Hasina is completely on it's knees when it comes to complying with Indian trade hegemony.

We consider India as an enemy because it interferes in our affairs.
How so? 🤔
Let me clarify I have high appreciation for common Bangladeshi here in USA. Hard working and family oriented.

I only hear about how your per capita has even crossed India and how you guy turned around your economy and have good amount of foreign reserves. India always portrays BD as a friendly country and a neighbor.
I believe even India helped you guys with $2 billion lines of credit and aid to felicitate good relations and promote trade between our countries. Even now in our yearly budget we allocated rs300 crore aid to BD. I am not saying we don't have any contentious issues but overall I see good relations between our countries. Correct me if Iam wrong.

Why don't you guys allow Indian companies to start manufacturing in your country? This will solve your import addiction for Indian products.
Who told you that? Even there is a Indian EPZ in the making.

Let me emphasize a few factors why BD is indeed a "Tiger" economy now.

1. Garments is the backbone and exports growing by double-digits a year.

2. IT exports growing at 35-40% a year - this could surpass 10 billion US dollar within 4-5 years if the growth rate of the last 12 years continues.

3. Electronics exports has reached 'critical mass' and now growing by many 100s of per cent a year - could be many millions within 5 years if the projections are correct

Single-ethnicty country now under quasi-dictatorship like what happened in Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and S Korea last century.

There is absolutely nothing special about what is happening in BD as Dhaka used to be the centre of the Bengal subdivision of Mughal empire that was the richest area on the planet 3 decades ago. The people of this area were always far richer and more advanced than the rest of the sub-continent.
Mughal India was NOT rich but Bengal subdivision was.

Last edited:
Who told you that? Even there is a Indian EPZ in the making.

There has been an Indian EPZ allotted at Mongla Port for the last ten years.

Given Indian Banya bungling and laziness habits (everything they place their fingers on turns into $hit), nothing has been done in that EPZ.

I say the govt. should cancel that contract and give it to Bangladeshi firms who are far more deserving.

Nearby - the Rampal power project and the Khulna Mongla Railway line project (both Indian) is now ten years too late and probably 400% over budget. They keep on asking to extend both projects.

Bunch of incompetent Banya f*cks and these are supposedly the best contractors India has to offer (L&T, others).

These dumb idiots are so cheap, they asked to import bricks from India, because they were a bit cheaper.

I have no idea what fifth columnist minister in Hasina's cabinet Indians bribed to get these contracts.

That minister should be asked to step down.

Similar projects started at the same time by Chinese contractors (Payra Power generation) has been finished and connected to the grid two years ago....

How so? 🤔
Let me clarify I have high appreciation for common Bangladeshi here in USA. Hard working and family oriented.

I only hear about how your per capita has even crossed India and how you guy turned around your economy and have good amount of foreign reserves. India always portrays BD as a friendly country and a neighbor.
I believe even India helped you guys with $2 billion lines of credit and aid to felicitate good relations and promote trade between our countries. Even now in our yearly budget we allocated rs300 crore aid to BD. I am not saying we don't have any contentious issues but overall I see good relations between our countries. Correct me if Iam wrong.

Providing lines of credit with conditions that you have an overpriced Indian contractors take the contract is not charity. You have to return the money, and with Indian contractors, project cost goes up 300-400% all the time. Projects never get finished.

Indian products and services don't have a great reputation for being particularly high quality.

People in Bangladesh are not idiots, only country that benefits from lines of credit like this is India and Indians.

We were not born yesterday.

Last edited:
There are fifth columnists like our commerce minister Tipu Munshi - elected from Rangpur. He happens to be a Hindu - which is actually not a factor.
Little deviation. Nowadays, Tipu has become a nickname for Muslims as well. Now, I ask why Munshi is a title for a Hindu family. Please say your ideas. Should not it be a Muslim family title?

Note: I have checked his biography, and nowhere does it say about his religion. So, he is hiding it. Easy for him to do so because his family name Munshi is usually for Muslims.

However, please do some research and tell us why should Munshi be a Hindu title also.

Last edited:
Published on 12:26 PM, July 09, 2022

Bangladesh, a future tiger economy? Indian diplomat thinks so​

bangladesh-transformative-journey.jpg

Star file photo
Star Digital Report

With broad-basing of its industrial sector, Bangladesh could well be the tiger economy of the future, according to former Indian diplomat Ambassador Sarvajit Chakravarti.

Bangladesh has given itself a roadmap - Vision for 2041 - aimed at ending absolute poverty and graduating into higher middle-income status by 2031 and becoming a developed nation by 2041, he said. The country is making progress in several social and economic sectors, he added.

From agriculture to pharmaceuticals and from shipbuilding to garments, Bangladesh's industrial base is diversifying and its exports are increasing, said Chakravarti, who had served as India's diplomat in Dhaka twice, in an interaction with PTI journalists in its office at Kolkata.

"Bangladesh has made excellent progress in education, healthcare and basic social services. I see Bangladesh as a future tiger economy," Chakravarti added.

However, he said, this is dependent on India for some food items such as wheat and lentils. Shortages in India often result in stalling of these exports to the detriment of people in both the countries, reports our New Delhi correspondent.

"From when (US Secretary of State Henry) Kissinger called it a basket case' in 1971 to a country that has exceeded India in per capita income (last year), Bangladesh has come a long way. It is justified that there is a lot of pride associated with Padma bridge and the international agencies that had refused to fund it are now congratulating Bangladesh on its completion, he said.

The Padma Bridge will considerably reduce travel time from India to Bangladesh, will boost tourism traffic and improve delivery services from both sides. It shows the positive effect increasing exports can have on a country's economy (by generating development resources), Chakravarti added.

Chakravarti suggested India try to make Rupee a legal tender in the country as it is in Nepal and Bhutan so that the entire region can be treated, to an extent, as an integrated economic entity in terms of supply of essential services like food.
As the connectivity between the two neighbours is increasing via rail, road and river routes, container trucks from Bangladesh can be allowed to move to Mumbai, Ahmedabad and other ports in western India to make its shipments to Europe easier, he said.

Now, Bangladeshi ships go to Europe via Colombo. The use of western Indian ports will cut that distance considerably, he said.
On the Teesta water-sharing issue, Chakravarti said Bangladesh has been "very kind" in not making it the central part of its relationship dialogue with India.

An agreement on Teesta has been steadfastly opposed by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on the ground that it would affect the state's interest as there is not enough water to share on a guaranteed basis.

Chakravarti said the issue could be solved by linking Teesta and Jamuna in Bangladesh via a canal.

"My suggestion is to build a canal from there to the Teesta and re-circulate the water," he said.
In the process, the water volume will increase, and there is potential for irrigating the inter-riverine area and generating electricity, he said adding that the entire canal will be in Bangladesh.

In reply to another question, he said Bangladesh has several advantages over India.

"It is mono-lingual even as a multi-ethnic society. So, there are fewer social conflicts (compared to India). It also traditionally has a culture of mutual support and toleration. The Baul-Fakiri tradition grew up there," he said.

The government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been far stronger and more proactive in dealing with religious conflicts there, Chakravarti said.

"Every time we hear of any atrocity on minorities, it is quickly followed by government action to prevent its spread and by civil society protests," he said.

Bangladesh has provided skill training and is exporting its manpower to the extent possible as they do not have enough land to live on, he said adding that West Bengal and many Indian states can take a cue from that.

পানি বন্টনের খবর নাই আসছে "ব্যাঘ্র অর্থনীতি" চোদাইতে

There has been an Indian EPZ allotted at Mongla Port for the last ten years.

Given Indian Banya bungling and laziness habits (everything they place their fingers on turns into $hit), nothing has been done in that EPZ.

I say the govt. should cancel that contract and give it to Bangladeshi firms who are far more deserving.

Nearby - the Rampal power project and the Khulna Mongla Railway line project (both Indian) is now ten years too late and probably 400% over budget. They keep on asking to extend both projects.

Bunch of incompetent Banya f*cks and these are supposedly the best contractors India has to offer (L&T, others).

These dumb idiots are so cheap, they asked to import bricks from India, because they were a bit cheaper.

I have no idea what fifth columnist minister in Hasina's cabinet Indians bribed to get these contracts.

That minister should be asked to step down.

Similar projects started at the same time by Chinese contractors (Payra Power generation) has been finished and connected to the grid two years ago....

Providing lines of credit with conditions that you have an overpriced Indian contractors take the contract is not charity. You have to return the money, and with Indian contractors, project cost goes up 300-400% all the time. Projects never get finished.

Indian products and services don't have a great reputation for being particularly high quality.

People in Bangladesh are not idiots, only country that benefits from lines of credit like this is India and Indians.

We were not born yesterday.
Looks like you got cheated by the company you picked. If the terms of LoC are not in your favor, you should not avail the rest of the tranche. You guys have accepted similar LoC of $1 billion in 2010. You have to be prudent in what you are getting into. Look what a mess Pakistan has gotten into. They don't have the money to pay back the Chinese Power companies 😒

পানি বন্টনের খবর নাই আসছে "ব্যাঘ্র অর্থনীতি" চোদাইতে

Best comment I've heard in a long, long time. :tup:

Little deviation. Nowadays, Tipu has become a nickname for Muslims as well. Now, I ask why Munshi is a title for a Hindu family. Please say your ideas. Should not it be a Muslim family title?

Note: I have checked his biography, and nowhere does it say about his religion. So, he is hiding it. Easy for him to do so because his family name Munshi is usually for Muslims.

However, please do some research and tell us why should Munshi be a Hindu title also.

@bluesky bhai the Munshi Podobi was a title given by kings to men usually who held top level administrator positions.

Could be Hindu or Muslim.

Best comment I've heard in a long, long time. :tup:

@bluesky bhai the Munshi Podobi was a title given by kings to men usually who held top level administrator positions.

Could be Hindu or Muslim.
It made me happy that you knew the origin of this family title. Actually, Munshi had the meaning of administrative high officer during the Muslim period. Such a person was called by Munshi, like Secretary these days.

Gradually, it became a family title after two or three generations of administrative service. I had a classfriend in school days who was a Brahmin but his name was Komol Munshi.

I have found also Hindu Khan and Muslim Thakur and Singh.

Back
Top Bottom