What's new

Bangla Language Movement in Sylhet

I don't know about their loyalty but Chittagong Hill Tracts never demanded separation from Bangladesh while independence day and victory are observed there with the same reverence as anywhere else in the country. Cox's Bazar is a Bangalee dominated area, Rohingyas are only found in the confined camps and may be in the Shahporir deep. Loyalty to government is not the main thing, there will always be supporters of different political parties, government will never be equally popular in every area.

rainman's post was pun intended so reply was that way. So why are you reading between the lines. And unnecessary jumping without understanding the context? I dont trust the chakmas, if 60% dont becomes Bengali there. There are many incidents recently, Arakan Army and kidnapping. If Army is withdrawn they may start rebellion again. Apart from Hefajot many JMB violent attempts are seen there recently. It has a pattern for that my statement. Parsonal it is, why cant you relax.

I don't know about their loyalty but Chittagong Hill Tracts never demanded separation from Bangladesh while independence day and victory are observed there with the same reverence as anywhere else in the country. Cox's Bazar is a Bangalee dominated area, Rohingyas are only found in the confined camps and may be in the Shahporir deep. Loyalty to government is not the main thing, there will always be supporters of different political parties, government will never be equally popular in every area.
3 chittagong hill tract districts contain only 1% of the total population of BD.Among them more than half are ethnic Bengali settlers.So tribal population is around 0.4% of the total population of Bangladesh.Those tribal mostly accepted the current situation either willingly or unwillingly.So their significance even in greater Chittagong is very limited.Chittagong and Cox's Bazar districts are very populous (around 12 million or 8 percent of total population) and are firmly Bengali majority area( at least 95%).So there is no threat of less loyalty among the population in the wider Chittagong region .It is BD like any other region in the country:-)

rainman's post was pun intended so reply was that way. So why are you reading between the lines. And unnecessary jumping without understanding the context? I dont trust the chakmas, if 60% dont becomes Bengali there. There are many incidents recently, Arakan Army and kidnapping. If Army is withdrawn they may start rebellion again. Apart from Hefajot many JMB violent attempts are seen there recently. It has a pattern for that my statement. Parsonal it is, why cant you relax.
3 chittagong hill tract districts contain only 1% of the total population of BD.Among them more than half are ethnic Bengali settlers.So tribal population is around 0.4% of the total population of Bangladesh.Those tribal mostly accepted the current situation either willingly or unwillingly.So their significance even in greater Chittagong is very limited.Chittagong and Cox's Bazar districts are very populous (around 12 million or 8 percent of total population) and are firmly Bengali majority area( at least 95%).So there is no threat of less loyalty among the population in the wider Chittagong region .It is BD like any other region in the country:-)

Last edited:
I am currently living in Sylhet for almost a decade and I have come across a number of local Sylheti newspaper.But I have yet to come a newspaper which is written in a Sylheti dialect.Same case with books.No one worth mentioning ever from Sylhet demanded recognition of their dialect as a separate language apart from Bangla.

This type of separate Sylheti ethnicity,language talk only heard from some loony 2nd generation sylheti kids in UK who could not assimilate neither with British society nor have any connection or communication with Bangladesh.So they are inventing separate Sylheti identity to suit their identity search.:lol::lol:

Below is an example of the same crack head. I see pdf is responsible to blow his mind for all his blabbering. Im done.

Its not true that sylheti people don't consider them as bengali.

Sylhet is the highest loyal to Bangla desh among all the areas. Proof of their loyalty is they are the pure form of AL vote bank, check 2008 election. AL means Bengali politics so they are voting in favor of Bengali. For example commander in chief of Mukti Bahini was from Sylhet and highest saint of BD is considered Sahjalal from Sylhet, in which Dhaka International airport is named. And lowest loyal are Chittagong, followed by Rajshahi. And the lowest loyal areas are of anti India BNP JeI. So you see a chance? You are always welcome to help Sylhetis to liberate Meghalaya and Barak valley.

Everything can be manufactured, resentment, desire for separation, everything....we are experienced in that with some commendable successes! :D

arn't you guys are Racially mixed with Afghans,Turks ad Persians ? AFAIK your language sounds like Mixture of Hindi and Bengali to me (with Urdu lone words) are you guys culturally and Racially similer with Pakistanis and North West Indians ?

why many Muslims Migrated in Sylhet ?

arn't you guys are Racially mixed with Afghans,Turks ad Persians ? AFAIK your language sounds like Mixture of Hindi and Bengali to me (with Urdu lone words) are you guys culturally and Racially similer with Pakistanis and North West Indians ?

why many Muslims Migrated in Sylhet ?

What Sylheti have you been hearing that it sounds like Hindi? Lmao.

Whoever you were replying to, questioning the loyalty of the people towards their country based on their locations is not funny at all. I don't know but you have a thing for Chittagong, earlier you were calling for Chittagong to be separated from Bangladesh. Now you are provoking the Sylhetis as well. May I know, what's your agenda in inciting this regional differences among Bangladeshis?

Last edited:
BongBang sounds like Hasinas yes man. Racist, liar and terrible person. Whether it's the chakmas or the biharis he hates them all.
I visited Bengal karta Mosque in 2014, my guide was from Sylhat. he told me that he have to left His homeland after 1947 because Sylhat province of Assam was given to Pakistan.

he also told me that Sylhati hi Mixture of Hindi/Urdu and Bengali.

he was a big fan of Some Muslim poet named Shah jahan :D

Yes many words are alike in Hindi and Sylheti, but it sounds nothing like Hindi or Bengali. In fact it doesn't sound like a South Asian language at all especially to the untrained ear. In daily colloquial Sylheti conversation there is at least one Persian/Arabic word thrown in there(and that's where Hindi and Sylheti have commonality even more), words I have no clue of the meaning, especially when speaking to parents. These words are slowly fading away with the newer gen who have just about grasped the language.

Btw I assume you're referring to Begum Bazar masjid?

The Sylheti are a very proud people. Sylhet is often referred to as 'Shahjalalor mati'.

Whoever you were replying to, questioning the loyalty of the people towards their country based on their locations is not funny at all. I don't know but you have a thing for Chittagong, earlier you were calling for Chittagong to be separated from Bangladesh. Now you are provoking the Sylhetis as well. May I know, what's your agenda in inciting this regional differences among Bangladeshis?

You are not mature enough to take part in discussion and problems to comprehend context. I dont understand who gave you authority to question me. And why are you taking PDF posts literally. We throw these posts to see the response this is mind game. You are naive in this. Instead of baseless accusation cant you enjoy your time and respond when given chance? I was talking nice about Sylhet but some inferior online trolls started to claim how they are superior to others and they do on every given occasion. So I addressed this issue. BD isnt perfect at all so we have to talk more about the internal issues rather than wasting time trolling with Indians or Pakistanis. My agenda is complex it may not go through your little head. Regarding Chittagong I said to that Burmese chap we can consider giving CHT independence if the give Arakan independence as well for greater Arakan. Given the greater number of Bengali ethnic population that will ultimately come to BD's fold. Greater landmass and greater control in the sea. And the Rohingya issue will be solved. In this thread I said Chittagong is less loyal to Bangla Desh. Im still saying this. Because there is a difference between Bangla Desh and Bangladesh.
What rainmain meant by Bangla Desh is the country under Bangla occupation. Its ruled by Bangla nationalist present gov. I went with his bait. But never said they are less loyal to Bangladesh. Still if I said they are less loyal to Bangla Desh, I didnt use not loyal to BD. Understand the difference. I used a reference of 2008 election. Where AL got more opposition from this area. Still AL's support was 62%. But in rest of the country it was much more than that. For that I used this term "less". Can you now understand what I said? You got this authority probably because I will leave you a nice reply and got this green card Im one of the most strongest BD poster of PDF. I also perceive you like that just dont crack my mind with these nonsense replies.

BongBang sounds like Hasinas yes man. Racist, liar and terrible person. Whether it's the chakmas or the biharis he hates them all.

Jamati, in my list you fall in the lowest category, even a Chakma is more seriously to be taken than you. Didnt I said you, every human is racist. Their racism makes them human from animal. Bengalis dont afford the luxury to be racist. Its our national agenda to get rid of anyone who had/may challenge us.

Last edited:

Are Sylheti people of Bangladesh originally Assamese or Bengali?

main-qimg-86065862622b156af2365356d1a912d7

Mandeep Mandy Bhattacharjee
, Knowledge freak....
2k Views

Sylhet dist. was part of the undivided bengal before 1905....it included bihar, east+west bengal, oddisa & assam.....after d formation of east bengal; sylhet dist was part of it...which even included assam...

but after repealing d partition in 1911 sylhet became a part of Assam province
....but when britishers left it was made the frontier dist. of east pakistan....& later after the independence a part of Bangladesh.

geographically Sylhet dist. is similar to assam & North east India. its full of high lands & rivers and used for tea plantation.
Being a frontier region d inhabitants used to mix with both Dhaka & North East India....

it has the richness of bengal + innocence NorthEast India...
its full of Flavour of Assamese + ingenuity of bengalee...

though a dialect of Bengali but should've been an independent language...

Are Sylheti people of Bangladesh originally Assamese or Bengali? - Quora

You are not mature enough to take part in discussion and problems to comprehend context. I dont understand who gave you authority to question me. And why are you taking PDF posts literally. We throw these posts to see the response this is mind game. You are naive in this. Instead of baseless accusation cant you enjoy your time and respond when given chance? I was talking nice about Sylhet but some inferior online trolls started to claim how they are superior to others and they do on every given occasion. So I addressed this issue. BD isnt perfect at all so we have to talk more about the internal issues rather than wasting time trolling with Indians or Pakistanis. My agenda is complex it may not go through your little head. Regarding Chittagong I said to that Burmese chap we can consider giving CHT independence if the give Arakan independence as well for greater Arakan. Given the greater number of Bengali ethnic population that will ultimately come to BD's fold. Greater landmass and greater control in the sea. And the Rohingya issue will be solved. In this thread I said Chittagong is less loyal to Bangla Desh. Im still saying this. Because there is a difference between Bangla Desh and Bangladesh.
What rainmain meant by Bangla Desh is the country under Bangla occupation. Its ruled by Bangla nationalist present gov. I went with his bait. But never said they are less loyal to Bangladesh. Still if I said they are less loyal to Bangla Desh, I didnt use not loyal to BD. Understand the difference. I used a reference of 2008 election. Where AL got more opposition from this area. Still AL's support was 62%. But in rest of the country it was much more than that. For that I used this term "less". Can you now understand what I said? You got this authority probably because I will leave you a nice reply and got this green card Im one of the most strongest BD poster of PDF. I also perceive you like that just dont crack my mind with these nonsense replies.

Keep your BS to yourself, I don't see anyone else 'throwing' posts with BS like what you write. You are probably the only one who troll his own country that too with utter BS lies.

Jamati, in my list you fall in the lowest category, even a Chakma is more seriously to be taken than you. Didnt I said you, every human is racist. Their racism makes them human from animal. Bengalis dont afford the luxury to be racist. Its our national agenda to get rid of anyone who had/may challenge us.

Khombokhtor khombokth, kigyeh thoreh zommaiseh? I support Labour party.

So @Riyad has posted a video of a Sylheti person speaking Bengali. Well we never said that Sylhetis cannot speak Bengali, it is very important that someone knows fluent Bengali especially if they hold a very high/important occupation.

if you hear local Sylhet MPS (village union) try to speak Bengali it's very very funny.

Keep your BS to yourself, I don't see anyone else 'throwing' posts with BS like what you write. You are probably the only one who troll his own country that too with utter BS lies.

Grow some iq in your head more than single digit. My reply was to known people whom are BD anti elements. Al Zakir, Saiful and Sidr. Where from you are even coming? If you have problem, help yourself with your ignore button. It helps perfectly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom