What's new

Baloch Assembly protests against dam project endangering a Hindu temple

Save it must be. Shifting it is the option.

The temple is actually literally a 6' x 10' semi-constructed room which could very easily be lifted up without much expense at all and moved anywhere that is acceptable. I've been camping to that area so many times and I will miss the valley as a natural beauty and a national park....we are really all losing something (the valley) special here. I really hope they take great care not to ruin the environment because we really have very few decent national parks nearby Karachi.

Attachments

• Valley of Temple of Kali Ma - Balochistan 3.jpg
    Valley of Temple of Kali Ma - Balochistan 3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 23
It can easily be relocated somewhere else and some added money can be thrown in to construct and even bigger temple or something like that to make all the hindus happy.

'nother temple that gave way to development:

View attachment 6940dd6d46c54fab3c78b6f768676735.jpg

The thing is, that India has hundreds of such ancient temples scattered about the country, so naturally a few are going to get submerged.

Maybe the one in Balochistan is a particularly important pilgrimage destination for hindus.

It is a beautiful building. Unfortunatelyit has to give way to satisfy the needs of the many people that live in the area. I htink ther is a case for trying to save any part of our history if possible. It is a shame to let any of these buildings be destroyed although sometimes it is unavoidable
Araz

It is a beautiful building. Unfortunatelyit has to give way to satisfy the needs of the many people that live in the area. I htink ther is a case for trying to save any part of our history if possible. It is a shame to let any of these buildings be destroyed although sometimes it is unavoidable
Araz

I agree with Araz, development can't be stopped for places of worship. But at the same time keep sentiments of peoples also in mind. try shifting temple, if not possible, no politics should be allowed. Construct the dam.

According to the Hindu mythology Shifting is not an option because that place is more important than the idol. But It is in pakistan so I don't know what will happen.

Why don't be build a new Temple with modern facilities instead? Afaik the temple is not built on holy grounds, its not a birthplace for some Hindu God.
The importance is rather symbolic than of religious importance.

Indeed the sentiments of the legislators is admirable as are some of the views expressed on this thread. But there can't be a bar on shifting the structure to some other location. i see a great logic in your views as well. The Egyptians had shifted the Temple of Abu Simbel (among others) which was threatened by the rising waters of the Aswan Dam. That was a huge exercise that required international help and was co-ordinated by UNESCO. If something similar needs to be done here, it will be on a much smaller scale.
BTW, i'd seen this place in some TV documentary some years ago which was speaking about religious plurality in Pakistan, so thanks for reviving that information.
IMO, interests of people at large come first, though it is indeed nice to see sensitivity.

if it's sacred to Hindus, then I don't think there should be any question of tearing it down. build the dam elsewhere or figure out something, that's all I think we should do.

we have to protect it, as muslims. we can't possibly hope to project ourselves amongst other people in a positive manner, if we can't even protect their places of worship. anyways, an Islamic govt. is required to protect places of worship, for other religions.

Your views are admirable and very sensitive to the issue. But IMO you (i.e. Government) need not go to any extreme. It is likely that there is no other suitable place for the dam. In which case, if possible, to consider shifting it. IMO, the common interests of the people come first. IMHO, even Religions intended to do that.
This is not intended as any advice.:wave:

Well whilst i genuinely feel for the worshipers, is it not possible to re-locate the temple? Development is badly needed in that part of the country and the dam would have a positive impact on our water deficit.

Last edited:
Indeed it is very admirable to know that the state assembly is so sensitive to the issue of the temple. But however, the need for the dam is far greater than the temple. I think the temple would have served its purpose much better if it make way for the construction of the temple.
After all water is also a form of god.
Millions will benefit from this dam. The temple must be relocated.

In my view (am a fairly devout Hindu), no God would want His place of worship be the reason for the misery of thousands of people. If dam site can not be moved by say spending some money, then the temple should go. I liked Agno's suggestion of creating a larger / grand temple next to the Dam and relocating the temple.

The key is how this is handled. Since sentiments can run really high in these things, a soft and caring approach can go a long way to sort this pleasently. We all know what happens when its done wrongly (Babari 1992)

If we can save those , then certainly we should do.
This is Muslim's rich history tradition too.

I think that the tempel should be shifted to some other place that would be the most viable solution.

Because development and alleviating people's misery is much more important.

I think this religious places build many years ago are now hindering the development.

Back
Top Bottom