What's new

BAE wins $35bn Australian frigates contract

Dude, do you know what Australia is getting for 25 billion US dollars?

This will be 9 8,800+ tonne frigates that are really destroyers in all but name. The radar will be an Australian AESA MFR and it will have at least 48 Mk-41 VLS. As @jhungary thinks it may even be 24 Mk41 Strike-length VLS + 48 standard Mk41 VLS - ships are large enough to accommodate all these VLS cells.

70% of the components will be sourced and built in Australia. A lot of this money will be recycled through the Australian economy.

Australia will have a ship that can provide awesome firepower in air, sea and subsurface.
These 9 frigates(in practice destroyers) will propel Australia into the top 10 Navies of the world.

@jhungary

Found a video about the full configuration about this ship:

This is official from RAN.

So we shall have 48 Mk-41-cells for SM2 and ESSM.
8 tubes in middle of ship for "advanced" anti-ship missiles.
MU-90 torpedos stored at the back of the ship.

This "frigate" is just as heavily armed as the Royal Navy's Type-45 destroyers, but with more of an emphasis on anti-sub warfare.

Well, I don't know about it actually, I just vaguely remember some material said it was a 24 +48 VLS, as I said, I wasn't following this procurement so I wasn't paying any attention. So, I could be wrong.

People don't understand what is actually going on with these deal. And think, "wow, 50 billions for 12 subs must be a ripoff" or "11 billions for 3 destroyers is too much" or like this "25 billions for 9 Frigates is insane"

This deal is the next best thing that the aussie plan, develop and make these frigate themselves. the 25 billions price tag does not just include a dry transaction, but also the team of expertise from BAe to tell the aussie the know how, and the equipment and location to build such a ship and for future ship, think about how much the Brits pay for the whole Type 26 program? It's 8 billions pound + ship building cost, which is virtually the same price as what we are paying. The only difference is, the Aussie can't build and sell these ship themselves.

Well, I don't know about it actually, I just vaguely remember some material said it was a 24 +48 VLS, as I said, I wasn't following this procurement so I wasn't paying any attention. So, I could be wrong.

People don't understand what is actually going on with these deal. And think, "wow, 50 billions for 12 subs must be a ripoff" or "11 billions for 3 destroyers is too much" or like this "25 billions for 9 Frigates is insane"

This deal is the next best thing that the aussie plan, develop and make these frigate themselves. the 25 billions price tag does not just include a dry transaction, but also the team of expertise from BAe to tell the aussie the know how, and the equipment and location to build such a ship and for future ship, think about how much the Brits pay for the whole Type 26 program? It's 8 billions pound + ship building cost, which is virtually the same price as what we are paying. The only difference is, the Aussie can't build and sell these ship themselves.

I am surprised that Australia is so advanced in radar design that it will put on it's own MFR radar to equip the ship. The fact that it will be able to control the SM2 missile means that it must be a long range radar(> 200km range).

Yes, posters are not taking into account the fact that Australia will be able to almost build it's own warships after the experience from building these 9. Also most of the money will actually stay in Australia so it is not like all currency will go to UK.

I am surprised that Australia is so advanced in radar design that it will put on it's own MFR radar to equip the ship. The fact that it will be able to control the SM2 missile means that it must be a long range radar(> 200km range).

Yes, posters are not taking into account the fact that Australia will be able to almost build it's own warships after the experience from building these 9. Also most of the money will actually stay in Australia so it is not like all currency will go to UK.

Yeah, CEA have acquired many Radar Technology from Raytheon and SAAB, they aren't really exporting it but their own Radar range is very good, The RAN have been using CEA ASEA Radar on ANZAC Frigate since 2010.

That is the reason why most people don't understand, some times ago, there are some people call for an review for the AWD contract siting buying the Arleigh Burke Flight IIA wouldn't exceed 1.5 bil per ship, the problem is, what they cannot see is that if we get any ship other than the AWD, it would have been elsewhere and Australian Shipbuilding industry would have miss out on the deal, also, buy from America means no TOT, which something we need, and that is the reason why we aren't buying American ship even we used American Weaponry and Radar system (on the AWD). Even If that mean putting both on a Spanish ship would have been more expensive than putting American Weapon and American Radar on an American Ship...

This is the same case here with the type 26

7,000 tonnes and packing in 48-cell Mk-41 VLS is a destroyer in practice.

Pretty much. Remember, that the hull design calls for a beam of more than 20m. These things a a lot larger than most people expect them to be. At around 8,800t full load, the class is larger than many destroyers in service right now.

Back
Top Bottom