What's new

Backdoors in equipment acquired from other countries

Hi,

Not in weapons systems---because if you can get in---then someone else can get in as well.
Dude, how naive could you be ? thats the point, that weapons imported from other countires shouldn't be trusted.

Secondly, If i have to really make sure that I as a seller, should only be allowed to control these weapons remotely, then believe me, its very easy to protect those backdoors with a strong encrypted passwoed.

Dude, how naive could you be ? thats the point, that weapons imported from other countires shouldn't be trusted.

Secondly, If i have to really make sure that I as a seller, should only be allowed to control these weapons remotely, then believe me, its very easy to protect those backdoors with a strong encrypted passwoed.

Hi,

Pretty naive I guess.

It don't work like that---. The system that you have is IFF---other than that----there is nothing much---. There is no such thing that you can flip a switch and it goes bonkers.

Any software can have a piece of code for "backdoor" linking and communication. If you are using software. If you are pressing levers manually and no computer is involved, that's the only time you can be 100% sure no one's accessing anything...because you have full control.

There are breaches across the globe in the most sophisticated equipment around the globe. Just as one example, Israelis broke into Iran's weapons project and damaged their program seriously through the use of software. I also read reports that Iran was using a much cheaper device to capture data / video feed from US drones. I don't know if these are true or not, but any secure protocol can be broken into, if you have what it takes to do so. I have a friend who works within information security and auditing, and he tells me every other day what breach took place around the globe every other day.

So anything on the computer running is dangerous and can be compromised. Nothing is 100% guaranteed. Although the military applications are made very securely and sensitively so there are a lot of layers that ensure privacy and secrecy. But nothing is 100% guaranteed.

Every piece of engineered equipment which has software component has a backdoor. The rationale is simple, it can be used against you one day, you better know how to get in.

Though Australia had issues with their F-16's, software implemented by USA, they circumvent it...

Maybe Pakistan should throw some cash wink wink

Australia doesn't have F-16, any

This is such an infatuation of Pakistanis, and others. Not using the front door properly and imagining about the back door. I really wonder how Americans or the secret society of Dr. Evil can connect to a Pakistani F16 and tell it to shut off its engine.

Jokes aside, i think some limitations are built in to most export equipment, call de-militirization. The extent of this can never be ascertained.

This is such an infatuation of Pakistanis, and others. Not using the front door properly and imagining about the back door. I really wonder how Americans or the secret society of Dr. Evil can connect to a Pakistani F16 and tell it to shut off its engine.

Jokes aside, i think some limitations are built in to most export equipment, call de-militirization. The extent of this can never be ascertained.

Actually It was ascertained. The PAF F-16 Datalink (MILDS+Link 16 hardware), IFF and Internal and external SPJ are encrypted and will only work once keys are inputted in them. They require fresh encryption keys after a specific timeperiod which is provided by American military attache. F-16 will still fly but it will be toothless against aggressors.

And these restrictions are not Pakistan specific. Saudis has them as well

There is no point of labeling a country on it, it was a general question.

Secondly, the backdoor doesn't have to be something to turn off the engine. It could be anything, which could help the seller to have an advantage in the war if the very weapon is being used against them. A jet get transmit its location even if its a stealth jet, or the target locking system might not work that accurate. It could be ANYTHING.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom