What's new

Baahubali continues China's romance with Indian films; opens in 6,000 screens

luckych

Reaction score
Baahubali continues China's romance with Indian films; opens in 6,000 screens

After winning over audiences in India and other parts of the world, Baahubali is on its way to Chinese shores.

The film opened in 6,000 screens across China, and as per reports, had already done box office business of around $ 0.63 million there.
China has emerged as an important market for Indian films in recent times.

While Indian films have been popular there since the timesof Raj Kapoor's Awara, in 1951, in the past few years, films like 3 Idiots, Dhoom 3and PK have drummed up substantial business from China.

Forbes, for instance, reported that PK earned $5.2 million at the Chinese box office, which was considerably higher than the $3.17 million of Dhoom 3.

Shah Rukh Khan's Happy New Year and My Name Is Khan have also been successful in China.

However, as this Mint report points out, China — while a lucrative market — is not the easiest to crack.

The government has limited the number of foreign language films that can be released in China to 34 a year. Of these, the majority are Hollywood films. So only those Indian movies that are backed by big studios and producers are able to get screenings in China — and for films that have already proven to be successful here.

Eros, for instance, is now working on a China release for the Ranveer Singh-Deepika Padukone-Priyanka Chopra starrer Bajirao Mastani.

Coming back to Baahubali, initial reports state that SS Rajamouli's epic has already made it to the ninth spot on the list of top-10 Chinese box office hits.

Will it make the kind of history it did in India? We'll have to watch its business over the coming week to find out.

Do watch it Chinese friends, its worth watching. Up till now Baahubali is the most expensive movie released in India.

When I was in China, I introduced my Chinese friends to Robot/Endiran :D There was Chinese subtitles readily available. ;)

Baahubali is a superb movie. They are going to love it. The Climax part especially.

#whykattapakilledbaahubali? :P

That movie, the guy from some other star.... I can't remember the name, it seemed to make all religions ridiculous...

Are you referring to PK by Amir Khan?

pkposter.jpg

What did both of you think of it?

It's my favourite film after

1. K3G
  2. KANK
  3. DDLJ
  4. KKHH
  5. Haider
I think the theme of PK is very controversial, not in China, but I can imagine it was in India.
This is the only Indian movie I have ever watched so far.

PK was a cowardly film.
Took the easy route...

And Atheists are as bad as religious nuts.

All should watch Futurama's 'A Clockwork Origin' episode to get a sarcastic understanding of an Atheist's mind.

What did both of you think of it?

It's my favourite film after

1. K3G
  2. KANK
  3. DDLJ
  4. KKHH
  5. Haider

I would not rate it that high but a different kind of film of Amir Khan with a out of box thinking about earthly issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom