What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Indeed, it was noble of the Americans to be quick with their response. Their team was within Pakistan within 48 hours of the incident.

Thank you for saying that. If only we had less emotionalism and more logic, DefPk would be a far better place.

How could have been the ISPR mistaken about the bodies rumored to have been recovered?

That would have required waste of precious hours spent analysing the samples. Work has not stopped on-site even at night where temperature plummets to -40 degrees and 80kmph winds blow. The chill factor makes it feel like -60 degrees. We need to reach an entire camp, spread over a wide area, a number of tunnels would have to made if we were to drill straight down. That would not only take time but would jeopardize the the men on and beneath the snow my providing more space for loose snow to cave in to.

I understand that completely. Time is and was of the essence. There cannot be a more emergent situation than the one at hand.

Thank you for saying that. If only we had less emotionalism and more logic, DefPk would be a far better place.

How could have been the ISPR mistaken about the bodies rumored to have been recovered?

Kargil is what we call an "information black hole". There are no telephone lines, wireless connectivity is generally poor and non-existent during wind storms. The only way to get credible information is from someone going in, or coming back. I'm guessing someone probably started a rumour that spread because it couldn't be confirmed until the next flight went in.

Kargil is what we call an "information black hole". There are no telephone lines, wireless connectivity is generally poor and non-existent during wind storms. The only way to get credible information is from someone going in, or coming back. I'm guessing someone probably started a rumour that spread because it couldn't be confirmed until the next flight went in.

Yes, but Gen Athar Abbas should have known better than to convey only hearsay like that, specially in a tragedy of this magnitude.

Yes, but Gen Athar Abbas should have known better than to convey only hearsay like that, specially in a tragedy of this magnitude.

I can't find a link that quotes him on this, I can find media reports from the first day but nothing that quotes Gen. Athar directly.

I can't find a link that quotes him on this, I can find media reports from the first day but nothing that quotes Gen. Athar directly.

I see, that makes me feel better. It must be a journo who propagated this rumor then. They really should make sure of good reporting standards in this case, being the national tragedy that it is surely.

AZ posted above that he heard this news from "those privy". That cannot be correct then. Also, it was posted above there was a video of Gen Abbas saying that; that must also be incorrect.

I see, that makes me feel better. It must be a journo who propagated this rumor then. They really should make sure of good reporting standards in this case, being the national tragedy that it is surely.

Journalism in Pakistan is dirty business, they wouldn't mind cutting off their own arm if it makes a good enough story. There are low standards of reporting and in most cases, the news is not verified by neutral sources. I read a paper written by an American scholar of Media Studies on her findings about the new found freedom of information in Pakistan and she noted that:

"Local news channels show a recurring trend of reckless reporting, case in point, taking a single suicide and blowing it out of proportion, to the point that they can declare it a failure of the entire federation..................."

ISPR release:

A spokesman of ISPR said that technical teams of Germany, Switzerland and USA after having had initial consultations with Pakistani experts at Islamabad are in the process of deployment by road and by air at Gayari to assist and analyze the search and rescue effort. Teams of China and Norway with advance capability are expected to reach in Islamabad in next 24-48 hours, the spokesman concluded.

Just spoken to Brigadier Atiq at the ISPR......sadly nothing new to report as no recovery has yet been made.
The ISPR website would be updated in next ten minutes.

so my earlier post should be considered void......

Media is not playing very good role in this situation specially geo news. they are keeping us update on IPL matches when no one watches them except bookies. they are not even updating on this issue. even on the slides

The area between the camp and the glaciers mouth was about a km of rocks, earth and gravel. What may have started as an avalanche seems ultimately to have turned into a landslide enveloping all the lose rocks and soil in it's wake. Check out the surface in this image.

siachen-rescue-men-afp-ispr-670.jpg
It seems as though the snow has turned into ice making the excavation more difficult.

DG ISPR did not say that, and there is no ISPR press release, it just came on the media on the second day.

A team from Norway and China is expected tomorrow early morning.

The US team is going to get to Gayari most probably tomorrow according to reports.

It seems as though the snow has turned into ice making the excavation more difficult.

It turns into ice after the first night.

Journalism in Pakistan is dirty business, they wouldn't mind cutting off their own arm if it makes a good enough story. There are low standards of reporting and in most cases, the news is not verified by neutral sources. I read a paper written by an American scholar of Media Studies on her findings about the new found freedom of information in Pakistan and she noted that:

"Local news channels show a recurring trend of reckless reporting, case in point, taking a single suicide and blowing it out of proportion, to the point that they can declare it a failure of the entire federation..................."

Thanks for the truth, Pakistan runs based on dirty business....:hitwall:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom