What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

This Picture Explains from where Avalanche came from & how close it was .

A2.jpg

It looks close from this angle, however the satellite imagery shows that there was at least 1 Km distance between the Glaciers mouth and the camp, there was also a water stream between the two to absorb any minor avalanche.

av3.png

av5.png

In the future amry should run cable lift system to move across mountains, its easy, cheap n safe and can tavels miles in minutes which u need days to climb
This unfortunate tragedy reflects the reality that we not well prepared, need to improve should have contigency plan for future
Simply not cost effective.Money is the luxury PA doesn't have.

The thing is Glacier is shape shifter by default..It keeps changing shape and size...We are unaware what was the exact shape of the glacier just before the Disaster.
How the Ice cracked and such a large mass came sliding down the mountain.

Because the rescue pictures show too much ice and snow being displaced.

This Picture Explains from where Avalanche came from & how close it was .

A2.jpg

this looks like a photoshop, why is grass there? and the temp there is alwasminus i guess so why this guy has only worn cardigan only

this looks like a photoshop, why is grass there? and the temp there is alwasminus i guess so why this guy has only worn cardigan only

The Grass is there sometimes , An no it is not a Photoshop :)

most members here and else where on this forum are wrongly calling it an avalanche when in reality its a massive land slide just like in the attabad land slide. That is why their is a lot more earth, rock and mud in the effected area than snow.

most members here and else where on this forum are wrongly calling it an avalanche when in reality its a massive land slide just like in the attabad land slide. That is why their is a lot more earth, rock and mud in the effected area than snow.

a glacier is naturally a mixture of rock mud trees and ice/snow..
a glacier breaking away and sliding down hill is rare and less understood scientifically..
you can give it any name you want.

a glacier is naturally a mixture of rock mud trees and ice/snow..
a glacier breaking away and sliding down hill is rare and less understood scientifically..
you can give it any name you want.

Avalanche and snow slides are two different things.
Snow slide is common, just tripping of snow which gradually takes with it the snow on route.

Avalanche on the other hand, is breaking of glacier and falling down which usually results in land slide and soil going with it.

No this is not at all photoshoped. However these huge mountains sometimes create misunderstanding about the distance. In any case the distance between mountain and buildings is much more than it feels in this picture. Some one told me that soldiers used to play cricket also. Though heart would come in mouth after running a double or three.

No this is not at all photoshoped. However these huge mountains sometimes create misunderstanding about the distance. In any case the distance between mountain and buildings is much more than it feels in this picture. Some one told me that soldiers used to play cricket also. Though heart would come in mouth after running a double or three.

there is a place on Gilgit Hunza road where you get the full view of mount Rakaposhi.
there sca stream coming right from the glacier on Rakaposhi.The stream crosses the road and if you stand thee it feels that you can run over the glacier wnd reach the summit in less than 20 minutes...
the sheer size of the mountain dwarfes the glacier and the adpect of glacier plays tricks on brains depth and distance perception..
same thing happening in this picture i guess.

there is a place on Gilgit Hunza road where you get the full view of mount Rakaposhi.
there sca stream coming right from the glacier on Rakaposhi.The stream crosses the road and if you stand thee it feels that you can run over the glacier wnd reach the summit in less than 20 minutes...
the sheer size of the mountain dwarfes the glacier and the adpect of glacier plays tricks on brains depth and distance perception..
same thing happening in this picture i guess.

What a place you are talking about, beautiful view of Rakaposhi right from the base with sips of hot tea from hotel there. You took me to marvelous flashback.

3201.gif

3202.gif

I think Gen Kayani lost an opportunity to let reality seep in as gently as possible by calling those lost as "missing" instead of "shuhada" in his speech. The intent to recover the bodies is noble indeed, but it must be tempered with a dose of reality too, given the nature of the task as defined by him.

I think Gen Kayani lost an opportunity to let reality seep in as gently as possible by calling those lost as "missing" instead of "shuhada" in his speech. The intent to recover the bodies is noble indeed, but it must be tempered with a dose of reality too, given the nature of the task as defined by him.

Sir My father has served in this sector and mind you Kyani is talking about our age old tradition that no one is left behind . no matter how impossible it might look. he himself lost many of his men to avalanches or slipping into ditches. in many cases the recovery started right away or later but in the end they always recovered the bodies. he explained the same attitude among the Indians whenever they exchanged bodies.
in one case one of his men was swept with the avalanche into the depths of Krakuram but they eventually recovered the frozen body of that soldier after 6 months. I am talking about the late 60s to early 70s time.

the local porters of that Area are even more strict and wont go until they recover their man and they would use ropes and shovels and take the body back to their village. they say they cant bear to face the parents of the dead if they leave the body behind.

Back
Top Bottom