What's new

Australia-India Civil Nuclear Deal concluded, fuel supply to start soon

raj76

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Australia said on Wednesday, as it has concluded the nuclear agreement with India, the supply of uranium will begin in a short period of time. Australian High Commissioner to India Harinder Sidhu said that concluding contracts and supply can take some time but active engagement is underway on supplying uranium to India. "I am hopeful that we will see contracts concluded and supply start in a relatively short span of time," she said at a ICRIER seminar on trade liberalisation in New Delhi. The AustraliaIndia nuclear cooperation agreement permits Australian companies to commence commercial uranium exports to India. Australia has about 40 per cent of the world's uranium reserves and exports nearly 7,000 tonnes of yellow cake annually. India and Australia began talks on the Civil Nuclear Cooperation Agreement in 2012 after it lifted a longstanding ban on selling uranium to energystarved India. India, which has nuclear energy contributing just 3 per cent of its electricity generation, will be the first country to buy Australian uranium without being a signatory to the nuclear nonproliferation treaty. When asked Australia's stand on India's entry into the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), she said that her government is "very very supportive" of India's entry into NSG. "We very much want to see India enter, engage and to make the contribution in the group," she added. India has been eyeing to get entry into the Nuclear Suppliers Group, the Missile Technology Control Regime, the Wassenaar Arrangement and the Australia Group.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/A...eal-concluded,-fuel-supply-to-start-soon-5613

"Australian High Commissioner to India Harinder Sidhu said that concluding contracts and supply can take some time but active engagement is underway on supplying uranium to India."

Apparently, slowly but steadily, Indian are creeping into government offices of all the major countries.....we have heaps of them here in NZ.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/australi...el-supply-to-start-soon.433219/#ixzz4AOprs5oN

Congrats. I wish Pakistan could get a similar deal with European countries.

"Australian High Commissioner to India Harinder Sidhu said that concluding contracts and supply can take some time but active engagement is underway on supplying uranium to India."

Apparently, slowly but steadily, Indian are creeping into government offices of all the major countries.....we have heaps of them here in NZ.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/australi...el-supply-to-start-soon.433219/#ixzz4AOprs5oN

giphy.gif

Congrats. I wish Pakistan could get a similar deal with European countries.

You don' need that . You have China and Oil rich Umma .

At same time I guess Europeans doesn't have rich yellow cake deposits or do they ?? You should try Kazakhstan , they are Uranium rich and India imports from them too.

You don' need that . You have China and Oil rich Umma .

At same time I guess Europeans doesn't have rich yellow cake deposits or do they ?? You should try Kazakhstan , they are Uranium rich and India imports from them too.
I forgot to mention Kazakhstan. Pakistan has the highest chances of success with Kazakhstan.

Getting Australia on its side is a major achievement. Australia to this date doesn't sell Uranium to non signatories of NPT and in this regard, this deal signifies what India has always said, that NPT doesn't guarantee non proliferation. India's own record in Nuclear Non proliferation has been spotless with domestic nuclear program almost 6 decade old. Australia has obviously considered this point while agreeing to start nuclear commerce with India.

Its a big achievement. #feed me more!! lolz

Getting Australia on its side is a major achievement. Australia to this date doesn't sell Uranium to non signatories of NPT and in this regard, this deal signifies what India has always said, that NPT doesn't guarantee non proliferation. India's own record in Nuclear Non proliferation has been spotless with domestic nuclear program almost 6 decade old. Australia has obviously considered this point while agreeing to start nuclear commerce with India.
Don't forget the slowing mining sector in Australia has its implications also on this.

I forgot to mention Kazakhstan. Pakistan has the highest chances of success with Kazakhstan.
If im not mistaken, new reactors being commissioned in Pakistan are being supplied by China. It would be prudent if Pakistan enters a long term fuel agreement (by which i mean fuel bundles) with OEM. This will allow Pakistan to bypass fuel fabrication route, simplifying the process and save cost. Similarly OEM can take care of spent fuel and avoid reprocessing costs and facilities.

Well, is Kazakhstan a member of NSG? If yes, then there is no chance (legally) for Pakistan to get uranium from Kazakhstan.

Back
Top Bottom