Australia ignored warnings about gunman - Iran

PlanetWarrior

Reaction score
Country
India
Australia ignored warnings about gunman - Iran
2014-12-17 12:06

e5112fd1d2404faf84b1dbcc6352f55f.jpg

Man Haron Monis, the gunman responsible for the Lindt Cafe attack in Martin Place, Sydney. (Dean Lewins, AP)

Tehran - Iran repeatedly warned Australia about the criminal past of the perpetrator of the Sydney cafe siege and called for him to be kept under surveillance, top officials in Tehran said.

Man Haron Monis, the Iranian-born self-styled cleric who died along with two of the people he had taken hostage, was being investigated over fraud charges when he fled in 1996, police said.

But Iran's deputy foreign minister for Asia and Oceania affairs, Ebrahim Rahimpour, said Australia ignored the guidance sent.

"Despite several notifications to the Australian government regarding his criminal background, no attention was paid," Rahimpour told state television late on Tuesday.

"We provided information and asked them to watch this person but unfortunately they did not pay attention.

"The Australian government acted very poorly as far as security and protective standards were concerned."

Urgent inquiry

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott on Wednesday ordered an urgent inquiry into why Monis, a 50-year-old who was facing serious charges but out on bail, was not under surveillance and how he obtained citizenship.

Iran's police chief, Esmail Ahmadi Moghaddam, said Monis was known as Manteghi and managing a travel agency when he fled in 1996, leaving behind a wife and two children.

He travelled first to Malaysia and then on to Australia where he landed as a refugee but later obtained citizenship. An extradition request from Tehran in 2000 was unsuccessful, Moghaddam said on the Iranian police website.

Australian officials sent the gunman's fingerprints to Tehran after the deadly siege, Moghaddam said, but because Iranian police do not have his prints on file other checks may be carried out.

"We are prepared for a joint investigation and, if they send us his DNA, we can compare it with his family to see if he is that person or not."

Australian officials say Monis had a history of extremism and violence, and faced charges including sex offences and abetting the murder of his ex-wife.

Last month, he posted a message in Arabic on his website pledging allegiance to "the Caliph of the Muslims", which some have interpreted to mean the leader of the Islamic State group, which has seized swathes of Iraq and Syria.

Monis took 17 hostages at a cafe in the heart of Sydney on Monday, unfurling an Islamic flag during a 16-hour siege.

Police eventually stormed the cafe leaving Monis and two hostages dead. Six others were wounded.

Monis, whom Abbott called "a madman", was well known to both state and federal police as well as the domestic intelligence agency ASIO, but was not on any Australian counter-terrorism watch lists.

- AFP

'But Iran's deputy foreign minister for Asia and Oceania affairs, Ebrahim Rahimpour, said Australia ignored the guidance sent.

"Despite several notifications to the Australian government regarding his criminal background, no attention was paid," Rahimpour told state television late on Tuesday.'

If that's true, the relevant senior public servant in the Commonwealth government and the minister involved at the time should get one almighty kick in the arse; censure barely describes it. Australian government ministers and senior public servants are going to have to put aside their prejudices and start thinking more objectively if what the Iranians have said is correct.

The west's determination to isolate/ignore Iran seems to have backfired on Australia's face ? :undecided:
If the report is correct, then I can only agree, even though it is much to my chagrin.

Keeping our differences aside we should work together on anti- terrorist activities.
A comprehensive, co-ordinated, co-operative international approach ought to be adopted.

'But Iran's deputy foreign minister for Asia and Oceania affairs, Ebrahim Rahimpour, said Australia ignored the guidance sent.

"Despite several notifications to the Australian government regarding his criminal background, no attention was paid," Rahimpour told state television late on Tuesday.'

If that's true, the relevant senior public servant in the Commonwealth government and the minister involved at the time should get one almighty kick in the arse; censure barely describes it. Australian government ministers and senior public servants are going to have to put aside their prejudices and start thinking more objectively if what the Iranians have said is correct.

If the report is correct, then I can only agree, even though it is much to my chagrin.

A comprehensive, co-ordinated, co-operative international approach ought to be adopted.

Your government and intelligence agencies (if this is correct) needs a kick up their rear. That is simply my view on this issue.

As for a "comprehensive, co-ordinated, co-operative international approach" on terrorism, unfortunately that is a wild pipe dream. One nation's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.

even if that was not true some one must answer why a person under investigation for the murder of his wife and accused and under investigation for 40 case of rape go out of prison on bail and is not under surveillance .

Your government and intelligence agencies (if this is correct) needs a kick up their rear. That is simply my view on this issue.

As for a "comprehensive, co-ordinated, co-operative international approach" on terrorism, unfortunately that is a wild pipe dream. One nation's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.
My hope may possibly be a "wild pipe dream," but if abominable terrorist outrages of the kind we saw in Peshawar on 16 Dec. 2014 become all-too-frequent, countries may be forced to take action in concert with other countries, especially countries which border each other in a particular region.

The guy was an accessory to the murder of his own wife! What's utterly incomprehensible to me is how he wasn't already behind bars? Or deported? I mean, the lawful immigration of educated foreigners strengthens a country but you can't let in garbage. How'd he even get into Australia when he was wanted for fraud in Iran? Australia, wut u doin!?!?

This is why I keep saying that the threat of "Islamist" terrorism can not be solved or defeated by one country on its own. We need an international effort too root out and eliminate these buffoons, this would require all the countries in the world to stop their petty differences and unite for a common purpose. These buffoons thrive on national rivalries and tensions and exploit them to gain recruits etc.

Please for once put that useless United Nations to use and form an international counter terrorism and co-operation policy.

Pakistani Govt. should come in talks with Australia and NZ about allowing people from Pakistan to gain easy Immigration and visas along with a softer approach of getting permanent residency.

He should have never been allowed into the country.

Back
Top Bottom