What's new

August 6th, 1945: Hiroshima was justified

Was it important to drop the bomb at urban population centers, it should have better been dropped on less populous remote regions if its only motive was to intimidating Japan into surrendering rather than causing such big destruction of human life and property.

Assuming the invention of nuclear weapons inevitable, as horrible as might sound, the bombs dropped benefited humanity as a whole. Keep in mind that I'm not claiming that Americans were morally superior, nor that the Japanese deserved it. I'm looking at the bombings as an isolated even in humanity's timeline.

If the world had not witnessed the absolute apocalyptic devastation caused by the bombs, 'nukes' would just be another word flying around without any sense of scale to its destructive power. We'd be more inclined to use them for future wars where the world would have a lot more of these to throw around.

Let us not forget that Japan attacked USA first, unprovoked, and was prepared to defend the main islands ferociously with suicide squads. The atom bombs achieved a quick surrender and saved tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of additional lives. Good decision by USA, given all the factors.

Nope, dropping TWO nukes Japan cant ever be justified as being morally right. Japan was already beaten, they were surrounded by everyone. They were not a threat anymore. Those bombs destroyed their generation because of that radiotan.

Let us not forget that Japan attacked USA first, unprovoked, and was prepared to defend the main islands ferociously with suicide squads. The atom bombs achieved a quick surrender and saved tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of additional lives. Good decision by USA, given all the factors.

You missed my point entirely. My intention was take the parties out of the equation and provide a perspective scaled across the timeline of modern humans.

You missed my point entirely. My intention was take the parties out of the equation and provide a perspective scaled across the timeline of modern humans.

What are you thoughts on these gems by Admin:

Americans can lie to themselves to feed their misplaced self righteous ego stock. No human being even with a grain of humanity left in him would be able to justify this henious crime because of which, people even suffer today.

Nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was the most brutal terrorist attack in human history.

What are you thoughts on these gems by Admin:

Frankly, I am not well read on the topic to provide anything inciteful. And I am quite certain you're just looking for fodder to publicly demonstrate your wits rather than carry out a fruitful discussion.

The Polish massacre, the Japanese unprecedented brutality in China, the holocaust, the horrible loss of human lives all over world; Nothing looks justified today, why let Hiroshima alone? Radioactivity?

Frankly, I am not well read on the topic to provide anything inciteful. And I am quite certain you're just looking for fodder to publicly demonstrate your wits rather than carry out a fruitful discussion.

No, it is just the tedious repetition of the same tired old and disproven rhetoric on every anniversary of the bombing that is the propaganda done again and again to vilify USA, that is all.

The Japanese were already broken and ready to surrender at the time,many different sources claim that is was 'unnecessary' at best. Sea blockade of Japan damaged them badly, the conventional bombing already killed many and almost completely destroyed many Japanese cities. And then when the USSR entered, that was it for Japan.

The REAL Reason America Used Nuclear Weapons Against Japan (It Was Not To End the War Or Save Lives) Washington's Blog

Let the justifications come, one bomb was dropped and then after the destruction was assessed, then another. It's probably more trigger happy than those who gave the orders for the bombing of Dresden.

The Japanese were already broken and ready to surrender at the time,many different sources claim that is was 'unnecessary' at best. Sea blockade of Japan damaged them badly, the conventional bombing already killed many and almost completely destroyed many Japanese cities. And then when the USSR entered, that was it for Japan.

The REAL Reason America Used Nuclear Weapons Against Japan (It Was Not To End the War Or Save Lives) Washington's Blog

Let the justifications come, one bomb was dropped and then after the destruction was assessed, then another. It's probably more trigger happy than those who gave the orders for the bombing of Dresden.

I have to disagree.
the Japanese were preparing for a invasion of the home islands and would of fought to the last man,woman and child if need be.
just look at how fiercely they fought at Iwo Jima and Okinawa they would of did the same on Kyushu,Shikoku, and Honshu.

if they was going to surrender it would of been months later or even a year or two, and you can bet more people would of died of starvation,bombs, and firebombing than two nukes.

we gave them warning we gave them a chance to surrender, and the fact they didn't surrender after Hiroshima shows how strong their resolve was not to surrender to not be defeated.

I have to disagree.
the Japanese were preparing for a invasion of the home islands and would of fought to the last man,woman and child if need be.
just look at how fiercely they fought at Iwo Jima and Okinawa they would of did the same on Kyushu,Shikoku, and Honshu.

if they was going to surrender it would of been months later or even a year or two, and you can bet more people would of died of starvation,bombs, and firebombing than two nukes.

we gave them warning we gave them a chance to surrender, and the fact they didn't surrender after Hiroshima shows how strong their resolve was not to surrender to not be defeated.

I only quoted that source to show that many people agree that is was unnecessary. Now, you say that, and I agree with you, the Japanese would have gone on fighting, but why? Are they warmongering warriors who don't want peace, no, the terms of a surrender by the US were unconditional, which they never would have accepted, a lot of it has to do with their Emperor. Had he have said, they'd surrender, and the only way to have him around is through a conditional surrender which the US at the time refused.

I only quoted that source to show that many people agree that is was unnecessary. Now, you say that, and I agree with you, the Japanese would have gone on fighting, but why? Are they warmongering warriors who don't want peace, no, the terms of a surrender by the US were unconditional, which they never would have accepted, a lot of it has to do with their Emperor. Had he have said, they'd surrender, and the only way to have him around is through a conditional surrender which the US at the time refused.

if you watch this it might help you understand what the average Japanese was going through and why they did what they did.
it was always going to be a unconditional surrender nuke or no nuke. we didn't try the Emperor for war crimes which we should have and he should been hanged along with Tojo.

it was a lose lose situation for the Japanese no matter.
if we wanted to test out our new toy so be it, it was bound to happen with the Japanese or the communists.

Back
Top Bottom