What's new

Attack Helicopter Match-Ups: India vs. Pakistan

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
by Rich Thomas

Specialized attack helicopters have proven useful in providing valuable ground support for infantry and armored vehicles. While they are slower and therefore more vulnerable to ground fire than jet aircraft, attack helicopters can also easily liner in battlefield areas, so they can work
much more closely with troops on the ground.

Pakistan

Pakistan's Army is in possession of a number of AH-1 Cobra gunships. A development of the venerable Bell UH-1 Huey transport helicopter, the AH-1 Cobra was first introduced in 1967 for the Vietnam War, it is the original purpose-built helicopter gunship. The Pakistanis use the AH-1S and F models of this proven design, which have seen use against insurgents in the Northwest Frontier since the 1980s.

Paradoxically, the older upgrade of the Cobra is the S model. The main improvement was putting in a 1,800 hp engine, and all subsequent upgrades were based on this model. The F version includes a laser range finder and infrared suppression on the engine and exhaust, making the helicopter much harder for IR-guided missiles (such as the Stinger) to track. These helicopters have a maximum speed of 172 mph, a range of 274 miles, a maximum climb rate of 1,620 ft/min, and a service ceiling of 12,200 feet. They come armed with a 3 barreled 20mm cannon, and can carry either 2.75" rocket pods or TOW anti-tank missiles on 4 external hard points.

India

The Indian Air Force uses the Russian-built Mi-25 and Mi-35 Hind helicopters. The Hind is a combination attack helicopter and light transport, derived from the Mi-8 transport helicopter. It is the most heavily used combat helicopter in the world, having seen action in at least 19 different conflicts.
The helicopter has two engines capable of delivering 2,200 hp each, a maximum speed of 208 mph, a range of 280 miles, and a service ceiling of 14,500 feet. The helicopter typically carries a multi-barrelled 12.7mm heavy machine gun in the nose, but can carry a 23mm or 30mm cannon instead.
It also usually comes with door-mounted machine guns. There are 6 external hard points that can carry a plethora of arms in a combined payload of up to 3,300lbs. This can include gun pods, anti-tank missiles, rockets, and heat-seeking anti-aircraft missiles.

Result: INDIA! The AH-1F and S model of Cobras are a reliable design, and they are also smaller and more maneuverable than Hinds. This is not a small consideration, and should be by no means overlooked. However, they are also not the latest version of the AH-1 (that is the AH-1W Super Cobra), which means they are lacking in certain capabilities that the Hinds wield.

The Hinds have greater range and greater lift capacity, as well as a higher service ceiling. This means they can carry more ordinance further, higher, and hang around on the battlefield longer. The maximum service ceiling in particular makes the Hind more useful in places like Kashmir. They also have the ability to engage other helicopters with IR-guided missiles, something the AH-W Super Cobra can do, but not the AH-1F and S models.

Sources: globalsecurity.org; http://indianairforce.nic.in/; Pakarmy.com

(Not necessary you have to be agreed with writer, its just analysis gathered from few websites, your counter arguments is more valuable)

it is pretty even if we have new cobra than it is bye bye for hind sir becoz it is too heavy and visible to other agressors but cobra is more agile can hide anywhere and and low cost than hind for sure i pick anyday cobra latest model over old model of hind but true is that hind is my favourite attack helicopter but truth is cobra is better we cant deny it

it is pretty even if we have new cobra than it is bye bye for hind sir becoz it is too heavy and visible to other agressors but cobra is more agile can hide anywhere and and low cost than hind for sure i pick anyday cobra latest model over old model of hind but true is that hind is my favourite attack helicopter but truth is cobra is better we cant deny it

I think its unfair for you to compare a new cobra, which the PAF doesnt have, with an old Hind, which the IAF doesnt have. There is no confirmation that Pakistan is getting Super Cobras. All of IAF's Hinds have been upgraded by IAI of Israel and field all latest technologies. In addition to that the IAF already field 40 MI-17-5 attack helos and have placed an order for 80 more. There is also a tender out for 22 attack helicopters for which the AH-64 Apache is the frontrunner. Additionally the LCH is also in development.

I think until the PAF ramps up its fleet either with the Super Cobras or other attack helos is larger numbers, the balance in this particular area will be heavily tilted towards the IAF. Just my 2 cents. Cheers:cheers:

Indian Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes u are right we are not talkin on future acuisations although your hind got upgraded our cobras also have got upgraded not to super cobra but its mid life upgrade the only thing hind lacks is manuvarability which will put hind on mercy of any stinger missile launch but at the other hand cobra is soo much agile and ur hind got upgraded by a country who never operated a hind before who her self uses apaches and cobras how u be sure that ur hind is upgraded welll israelis if upgrade cobra or apache i understand but hind whom they never used one question i have for you if u have a mercedez and u want to repair it where u bring ur car to mercedez showroom not to BMY show room

Well, the super cobra induction is real. As far as MI17, if i am not wrong it transport helo. Plus both deals for MI17 or Apache are right now only news hype. Nothing real behind that. Its same like US offered India F35, but all in news, no official confirmation.

seems like defence market is feeling winter thats why no hot news coming out of them

Pakistan AH-1 Cobra

3d5489bbce5e6f85e385531fe7c19354.jpg

In the Iran-Iraq war the end results were about even, who ever saw the other first won.

yes u are right we are not talkin on future acuisations although your hind got upgraded our cobras also have got upgraded not to super cobra but its mid life upgrade the only thing hind lacks is manuvarability which will put hind on mercy of any stinger missile launch but at the other hand cobra is soo much agile and ur hind got upgraded by a country who never operated a hind before who her self uses apaches and cobras how u be sure that ur hind is upgraded welll israelis if upgrade cobra or apache i understand but hind whom they never used one question i have for you if u have a mercedez and u want to repair it where u bring ur car to mercedez showroom not to BMY show room

Its not about Israel got no experience using 'Hind'.You are right that if you got mercedez than you should go to mercedez showroom to upgrade.but how about putting better brakes or if you want to add N2O bottle then you can surely go to BMW guy if they got better than Mercedese.

hahahaha so noz upgrade will make a difference for u any way ur Hind in afghan war got serious probleum by stingers. do u remember sir but cobra never shot down by any shoulder fired missles

the only thing hind lacks is manuvarability which will put hind on mercy of any stinger missile launch but at the other hand cobra is soo much agile and ur hind got upgraded by a country who never operated a hind before who her self uses apaches and cobras how u be sure that ur hind is upgraded welll israelis if upgrade cobra or apache i understand but hind whom they never used one question i have for you if u have a mercedez and u want to repair it where u bring ur car to mercedez showroom not to BMY show room

Our Hind lacks maneuverability but your COBRA lacks lethality that Indian Hind have :cheers: Also, stinger missile will not miss its target just by watching PAF roundel on an old cobra :sniper:

Also Indian Hinds are not repaired by Israel they are upgraded by them :P

Further, If I need Bridgestone tyres for better grip, it doesn't matter whether I go to Mercedes, BMW or Bridgestone's showroom. It should be the most reliable one.

hahahaha so noz upgrade will make a difference for u any way ur Hind in afghan war got serious probleum by stingers. do u remember sir but cobra never shot down by any shoulder fired missles

Might be Russian were having other options more lethal and accurate than Afghans :undecided:

who said cobra is not lethal it is lethal with precision hind is lethal but not prcesion half of its ammo use to be wasted when comes to precision sir

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom