What's new

ATR-72 for Pakistan Navy

ASW and possibly Transport, PN has its needed requirements, quesition is why didn't PN not look in CN-235/CN-295 from the point of view that Air Force is also operating CN235 in Transport Role. PAF can help PN initially in maintenance. I heard people saying due to Europeans components well ATR-72 also is French/Italian so what is the point when people say Western [Euro/US].

We shouldn't be looking at Turkey they have their requirements they have both CN-235 and ATR-72 as ASW/MPA. In context of Pakistan, I believe CN-235 is much better as well as Fleet commonality.

There are rumors that Pakistan (PAF/PN) might go for more CN-235s and C-130s soon.

There are rumors that Pakistan (PAF/PN) might go for more CN-235s and C-130s soon.

Yes heard CN-235 for PAF. Think we should not go for more C-130H and wait till we have enough cash for C-130J. C-130s and CN-235 are enough for current requirement better save that cash for the future. We should stop buying older crap C-130E/H and look forward to C-130J in the Future in the next decade 2022+, how long would we be buying and refurbishing older models. I am more Interested in PAF getting its hand on couple of KC-130s for the F-16 Fleet that's the least we can get, it shouldn't cost more than $35M each as KC-130J costs approx $82-$85M.

Yes heard CN-235 for PAF. Think we should not go for more C-130H and wait till we have enough cash for C-130J. C-130s and CN-235 are enough for current requirement better save that cash for the future. We should stop buying older crap C-130E/H and look forward to C-130J in the Future in the next decade 2022+, how long would we be buying and refurbishing older models. I am more Interested in PAF getting its hand on couple of KC-130s for the F-16 Fleet that's the least we can get, it shouldn't cost more than $35M each as KC-130J costs approx $82-$85M.

I agree, but I've better idea in my opinion, to convert the Boeing 707s into Aerial-Refuellers for F-16s. You can post further discussion in the sticky thread on this matter.

Lets wait and see what the new leadership brings with them.

I agree, but I've better idea in my opinion, to convert the Boeing 707s into Aerial-Refuellers for F-16s. You can post further discussion in the sticky thread on this matter.

First of all, I doubt those 707 are still around...PIA already scrapped the older 747s and so i doubt PAF would fly much older aircraft.
707s are very costly to operate, and with those older turbojet engines, also very unreliable. IF PAF still have them, I doubt they would upgrade it to KC-135 standard.

First of all, I doubt those 707 are still around...PIA already scrapped the older 747s and so i doubt PAF would fly much older aircraft. 707s are very costly to operate, and with those older turbojet engines, also very unreliable. IF PAF still have them, I doubt they would upgrade it to KC-135 standard.

Well the israel air force operates KC-707 but they are planning to replace them with KC-46 converted from Boeing 767 which is already selected by USAF.

I agree with Last Hope lets discuss this in Transport/Air Refueller Thread.

What is important is what gadgets and surveillance equipment are these ATR-72 going to come with?

How many is PN looking at?

Because i thought they were already looking for more P3Cs as it is a proven platform, plus it shares the engines with the C130 so ease of maintenance.

the engines of those 707 are too old for any air refueling program if its done on those 707 for how long can it perform you should have given due consideration to that point when suggesting such

just my two cents

Gentlemen, lets not make it Transport/Air Refueller Thread, we can discuss that in appropriate Thread.

There were talks for kc-135s some time back even talks for converting a-310 into refuelers that can be used for f-16s but the later one was rejected by the manufacturer as the aircraft was no longer in production instead they offered a-320 which i think Paf didnt have enough many to go for ...

kc-135s were getting retired by USAF due to their high operating costs as they are getting old ....a new platform was planned to replace these kc-135s but due to some budget cuts the program has not yet materialized ...retirement is getting delayed may be thats why PAF didnt get one or else the other reason will be their age and high operating cost keeping PAF away from them

Another option can be incorporating boom refueling system in one of il-78 by mean of some foreign vendor to be used for f-16s

There were talks for kc-135s some time back even talks for converting a-310 into refuelers that can be used for f-16s but the later one was rejected by the manufacturer as the aircraft was no longer in production instead they offered a-320 which i think Paf didnt have enough many to go for.

You know A310 being rejected by manufacturer was just an excuse to Pakistan I can certainly say they were pressured, Even Germany and Canada chose A310 MRTT and the first one was operational with German Air Force by 2009, 707 is also not in production how is it israelis are operating 7-8 of them. The Fact is we are bad at buying why we lose opportunities. Now we don't know how much would it cost at converting 2 A310s and a few extra engines as spares, but I guess it would cost more in case of Pakistan so the best option still is KC-130 MRTT.

You know A310 being rejected by manufacturer was just an excuse to Pakistan I can certainly say they were pressured, Even Germany and Canada chose A310 MRTT and the first one was operational with German Air Force by 2009, 707 is also not in production how is it israelis are operating 7-8 of them. The Fact is we are bad at buying why we lose opportunities. Now we don't know how much would it cost at converting 2 A310s and a few extra engines as spares, but I guess it would cost more in case of Pakistan so the best option still is KC-130 MRTT.

May be because PAF wanted the conversion of just 1 a-310 so it wouldnot have left the manufacturer with much of a profit so found an excuse to pitch a-320 for the role

A310 can be easily converted to MRTT configuration. The A310 in service with the Airforce should be handed over to the germans for conversion. F-16s need it more then the mirages as they perform the CAP's.

ASW and possibly Transport, PN has its needed requirements, quesition is why didn't PN not look in CN-235/CN-295 from the point of view that Air Force is also operating CN235 in Transport Role. PAF can help PN initially in maintenance. I heard people saying due to Europeans components well ATR-72 also is French/Italian so what is the point when people say Western [Euro/US].

We shouldn't be looking at Turkey they have their requirements they have both CN-235 and ATR-72 as ASW/MPA. In context of Pakistan, I believe CN-235 is much better as well as Fleet commonality.

you are 100% right, we would save a lot of cash by maintaince and training !

A310's were only sold to Turkey and PIA by Airbus. it was not one of their more successful models. now converting to a tanker would cost an-arm-and-a-leg. would be better to upgrade the IL-78's with glass cockpit, avionics and quieter engines, and ofcourse buy a couple more.

Back
Top Bottom