What's new

Aslat Frigate inducted into Pak Navy fleet

Pakistan inducts last of four Chinese-designed F-22P frigates:

Farhan Bokhari, Islamabad.

Last posted:
2013-09-04

The Pakistan Navy on 3 September formally inducted the last of the four F-22P frigates purchased from China in a contract worth USD700 million.

PNS Aslat was entirely built at Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works (KSEW) under a technology transfer contract, according to senior Pakistani officials. The previous three ships were built either entirely or partially in China.

Pakistan's recently elected prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, who presided over a ceremony in the southern port city of Karachi to induct the frigate, described it as a landmark event.

"Construction of the F-22P frigate at Karachi Shipyard under transfer of technology is a testament of the everlasting bond of friendship that exists between China and Pakistan," said Sharif, adding: "I am confident that the defence co-operation between the two countries will grow from strength to strength in years to come and will be a source of improving peace, security, and stability in the region."

Sharif also used the event to refer to China's involvement in the development and management of a strategically vital naval port at Gwadar in the south of western Baluchistan province, overlooking the northern Arabian Sea. The location of the Gwadar port is strategically significant because it is close to the Strait of Hormuz, which is the only maritime passage through to the oil-rich Persian Gulf region.

"I would also like to acknowledge Chinese co-operation in development of Gwadar Deep Water Port, which has strengthened the maritime infrastructure in Pakistan and opened new vistas of economic growth and prosperity in Balochistan," said Sharif.

The port at Gwadar was built at a cost of about USD250 million, which included a USD200 million long-term soft loan from China. In early 2013 Pakistan cancelled a contract with PSA Singapore for management of the Gwadar port and gave its management rights to China.

Following Sharif's election in May this year, his government said it plans to build an ambitious economic corridor consisting of a six-lane highway and railway line that will eventually link Gwadar with China's predominantly Muslim western Xinjiang region.

Meanwhile, since early 2011 the Pakistan Navy has been in discussions with China over the purchase of six new submarines.

According to Western defence officials who stated , the submarine contract could become the largest single defence contract ever concluded by Pakistan. Although an exact value for the submarine contract has not been disclosed, one Western defence official said it could be worth anywhere between USD2.5 billion and USD4 billion, depending on the specification of the boats

ANALYSIS

The Pakistan Navy's completion of plans to induct the four Chinese frigates will serve to cement the already close relationship between Pakistan and China.

Pakistan has stepped up its arms purchases from China over the past two decades since it went through a period of punitive US economic sanctions for working to produce nuclear weapons.

Indian defence officials have said that China's collaboration with Pakistan is driven by its ambition to create a string of allies around India before preparing for an eventual foray by the People's Liberation Army and Navy into the Indian Ocean region.

JDW

i dont think so sub deal will be worth 2.5 billion or more..
had that been the case pakistan would have gone for U214..Which would have cost 500million a piece..i think it would max cost 1.5 billion dollars

i dont think so sub deal will be worth 2.5 billion or more..
had that been the case pakistan would have gone for U214..Which would have cost 500million a piece..i think it would max cost 1.5 billion dollars

min 2.5 Billion. the delay is the result of many modifications the PN wants. the other sticking point is which type? yuan or song. china is offering song. PN wants yuan because of the nuclear option as well as the AIP.

min 2.5 Billion. the delay is the result of many modifications the PN wants. the other sticking point is which type? yuan or song. china is offering song. PN wants yuan because of the nuclear option as well as the AIP.

What nuclear option does yuan have ???

its doubltless that U214 is much more advance then why doesnt PN goes for 3 U214 at 1.6 billion and get 2 subs at best for nuclear triad..that wouild have been a better option..

its obvious that chinese subs should be cheaper and will come with credit flexiblity

What nuclear option does yuan have ???

all speculation but its thought it may be either
1. either conventional Subs with AIP and blastic or torpedo launched cruise missles
or
2. electric-nuclear propolusion nuclear subs with nuclear blastic missles

some say navy should consider the ex-british destroyers and retofit them..

If you are referring to Type 42s, that would be a heck of a refitting job, I think PN would be better off with decommed Type 22 Batch 3s....

Man I know about budget problems but if we get money can we built more of these Frigates in our country and how many we can built at one single time ? and When it says it can fire 8 anti ship missiles it means total or they can fill the tube with more missiles too

First of all congrats for the new ship,second i am baffled by Pakistan,as far as i know you guys have a 33 billion $ state budget from wich you spend some 20% for defence and yet you manage to induct fighters,tanks and new ships.We have a 60 billion $ budget and i always hear "there are no money for defence!" and so we limp in Mig 21's and some old type 21 british frigates without missiles...WTF? What's your recipe ?

First of all congrats for the new ship,second i am baffled by Pakistan,as far as i know you guys have a 33 billion $ state budget from wich you spend some 20% for defence and yet you manage to induct fighters,tanks and new ships.We have a 60 billion $ budget and i always hear "there are no money for defence!" and so we limp in Mig 21's and some old type 21 british frigates without missiles...WTF? What's your recipe ?

I don't know which country you belong to but we are facing enemies like India and also Israel Sir to some extent but India is 24 hours enemy

Bucharest is the capital of Romania, and Pakistan always had very good and friendly relations with Romania. I specially remember Romanian president Nicolae Ceaușescu, who I beleive visited Pakistan a few times during General Zia's era. I still remember the news clip about his demise after the 1989 Romanian revolution, his escape, capture, trial and execution.

I have worked with many Romanian people in my previous and current jobs, and find them very nice, polite, helpful and friendly.

Probably, Romanian government spends more on social sector including education, health, and civic amenities instead of defence. If you don't have a bad neighbor like us, then its wise not to spend on non productive sector like defence. Unfortunately we have to spend on defence despite our poor economy and pressing need to spend more on education, health, civic amenities, law and order, and infra structure.

I don't know which country you belong to but we are facing enemies like India and also Israel Sir to some extent but India is 24 hours enemy

Pakistan inducts last of four Chinese-designed F-22P frigates:

Farhan Bokhari, Islamabad.

Last posted:
2013-09-04

The Pakistan Navy on 3 September formally inducted the last of the four F-22P frigates purchased from China in a contract worth USD700 million.

PNS Aslat was entirely built at Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works (KSEW) under a technology transfer contract, according to senior Pakistani officials. The previous three ships were built either entirely or partially in China.

Pakistan's recently elected prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, who presided over a ceremony in the southern port city of Karachi to induct the frigate, described it as a landmark event.

"Construction of the F-22P frigate at Karachi Shipyard under transfer of technology is a testament of the everlasting bond of friendship that exists between China and Pakistan," said Sharif, adding: "I am confident that the defence co-operation between the two countries will grow from strength to strength in years to come and will be a source of improving peace, security, and stability in the region."

Sharif also used the event to refer to China's involvement in the development and management of a strategically vital naval port at Gwadar in the south of western Baluchistan province, overlooking the northern Arabian Sea. The location of the Gwadar port is strategically significant because it is close to the Strait of Hormuz, which is the only maritime passage through to the oil-rich Persian Gulf region.

"I would also like to acknowledge Chinese co-operation in development of Gwadar Deep Water Port, which has strengthened the maritime infrastructure in Pakistan and opened new vistas of economic growth and prosperity in Balochistan," said Sharif.

The port at Gwadar was built at a cost of about USD250 million, which included a USD200 million long-term soft loan from China. In early 2013 Pakistan cancelled a contract with PSA Singapore for management of the Gwadar port and gave its management rights to China.

Following Sharif's election in May this year, his government said it plans to build an ambitious economic corridor consisting of a six-lane highway and railway line that will eventually link Gwadar with China's predominantly Muslim western Xinjiang region.

Meanwhile, since early 2011 the Pakistan Navy has been in discussions with China over the purchase of six new submarines.

According to Western defence officials who stated , the submarine contract could become the largest single defence contract ever concluded by Pakistan. Although an exact value for the submarine contract has not been disclosed, one Western defence official said it could be worth anywhere between USD2.5 billion and USD4 billion, depending on the specification of the boats

ANALYSIS

The Pakistan Navy's completion of plans to induct the four Chinese frigates will serve to cement the already close relationship between Pakistan and China.

Pakistan has stepped up its arms purchases from China over the past two decades since it went through a period of punitive US economic sanctions for working to produce nuclear weapons.

Indian defence officials have said that China's collaboration with Pakistan is driven by its ambition to create a string of allies around India before preparing for an eventual foray by the People's Liberation Army and Navy into the Indian Ocean region.

JDW

The previous three ships were built either entirely or partially in China. Really interesting INFO. It might means that weaponisation might took place in Pakistan....

Bucharest is the capital of Romania, and Pakistan always had very good and friendly relations with Romania. I specially remember Romanian president Nicolae Ceaușescu, who I beleive visited Pakistan a few times during General Zia's era. I still remember the news clip about his demise after the 1989 Romanian revolution, his escape, capture, trial and execution.

I have worked with many Romanian people in my previous and current jobs, and find them very nice, polite, helpful and friendly.

Probably, Romanian government spends more on social sector including education, health, and civic amenities instead of defence. If you don't have a bad neighbor like us, then its wise not to spend on non productive sector like defence. Unfortunately we have to spend on defence despite our poor economy and pressing need to spend more on education, health, civic amenities, law and order, and infra structure.

We have Russia for God's sake! It doesn't get worst then that.I do think that spending on defence it's a national emergency and I do admire Pakistan for managing a more than decent defence force with small resources.Our politicians are downright iresponsable at least yours keep the armed forces afloat even if they are thieves when it comes to public funds,like ours.:pissed:

P.S. What happenned to Ceausescu was not a trial but a mockery,he may have been a dictator but judging him on a single day and then promptly shooting him on Christmas day of all days was disgusting.The new elites wanted him out quickly because they were communists themselves and a live Ceausescu could have been a dangerous whistle blower.
The romanian "revolution" is still a hot potato after 23 years,new documents emerged,it appears that is was orchestrated from outside,from the USSR,Ceausescu was a communist disident,the generals who took command of the army were in reserve beeing suspected as soviet spies and hundreds of Securitate(romanian ISI if you will) agents who fought soviet infiltration were killed by the army on those generals orders because they knew what was going and tried to stop it by assasinating soviet spies throughout Romania even during the revolution and their bodies thrown in ditches alongside the russians that they themselves liquidated few hours earlier .After all those years the truth is coming out and some generals and politicians are finally going to prison for what they've done.

all speculation but its thought it may be either
1. either conventional Subs with AIP and blastic or torpedo launched cruise missles

It most surely will have AIP and capability to fire CM from torpedo tubes . BMs - not possible .

or
2. electric-nuclear propolusion nuclear subs with nuclear blastic missles

Never heard of yuan variant with nuke propulsion .

Or are you talking about Qing ??

It most surely will have AIP and capability to fire CM from torpedo tubes . BMs - not possible .

Never heard of yuan variant with nuke propulsion .

Or are you talking about Qing ??
it will be a special design most likley using either yaun or qing class basic design

but as i said all is pure speculation...we wouldnt know untiil its inducted

What a 'bad' sounding name!!! AS..LAT!! We certainly need to be more progressive in naming our military assets after national heroes then to name them from an outdated Arabic Dictionary every time

The Aslat is an American-built Pakistani Garcia Class frigate of 2620 tons displacement launched in 1965. The Aslat is powered by a geared turbine providing a top speed of 27.5 knots and a range of 6400 km at 20 knots. The Aslat carries a crew of 270 and is armed with a Honeywell ASROC Mk 116 octuple anti-ship torpedo launcher; two USN 5 inch/38 Mk 30 guns and two arrangements of triple 324 mm Mk 32 torpedo tubes taking the Honeywell Mk 46 Mod 5 torpedo. A Seasprite helicopter is also carried.

Back
Top Bottom