What's new

Asian Cinema

Dynasty Warrior game series on the Romance Three Kingdom made by Japanese company KOEI is actually quite popular. Spawning memes in the internet.

It's Lu Bu!!! | Know Your Meme

c5fe097d592d6439952de9c1e77d82d1fdc0ec0d541e20f5709810487369b04a.jpg

lol, very popular. But it hardly represented chinese history. I own quite a few of those games.

AndrewJin probably puke at the generalization of those classic characters in the game.

I mean the general public.
Like if in US, wow, another Chinese historic movie is coming!
Nope, now in China, wow, Transformation is coming!

I am going to the movie soon. But I leave you with this. I hate Transformer and never seen it. But it is relateable across the race. A mexican seeing the film could careless where the movie took place. LIkewise Tin tin, or Doreamon. Or Dragonball Goku or Naruto in America. It has their own ethnic flare but it can be relateable.

Chinese historic movies can be relate able, but less than those stuffs I mentioned.

Like Transformer, if you sub out the white guy for an Asian guy. Does that matter? No. It does not matter.

American Sniper for example is not as relateable across cultures.

I mean the general public.
Like if in US, wow, another Chinese historic movie is coming!
Nope, now in China, wow, Transformation is coming!
Andrew Jin. Don't worry, Its just Mainland Chinese doing some catching up. Eventually the hype will be gone. I have been watching Hollywood movies since I was a kid, most of them are getting stale.

@powastick @liubang
I think movie industry is only one part of the impacts of a culture. If the culture is not strong, the movie industry won't be strong.(i mean abroad, Chinese movies already very strong in the Chinese market).
Going to sleep.:-)

@powastick @liubang
I think movie industry is only one part of the impacts of a culture. If the culture is not strong, the movie industry won't be strong.(i mean abroad, Chinese movies already very strong in the Chinese market).
Going to sleep.:-)
The only guy that successfully bridge Chinese movie would be Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow. Reminds me of this video highlights the weakness of Hollywood. If you like movies, you should browse through his video in his channel, give you insight on movie making. Every Frame a Painting - YouTube

And there ambitious effort by Dalian Wanda to improve China movie making.
Dalian Wanda Announces $8B Studio and Theme Park, Ambitions to Dominate Film Industry - TheWrap

Last edited:
A terrible American movie can be popular in China and a very very very good Chinese one is hard to be said successful of not. That's the cultural dominance! You finally got our ideas.;)

Or maybe the Chinese audience isn't intelligent or sophisticated enough to tell the difference between good or bad movies. Chinese people do not understand the subtle subliminal message that comes from Hollywood brainwashing. Eg. you see in Hollywood movies, Asians are portrayed as nerds and asexual. This translates to the stereotype in real world. People believe that. That's why Asians have hard time getting a mate in the west.

The only guy that successfully bridge Chinese movie would be Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow. Reminds me of this video highlights the weakness of Hollywood. If you like movies, you should browse through his video in his channel, give you insight on movie making. Every Frame a Painting - YouTube

Dalian Wanda Announces $8B Studio and Theme Park, Ambitions to Dominate Film Industry - TheWrap

I don't know about Wanda. It appear they will just copy Hollywood and use B grade Hollywood actors and Chinese actors to try and sell the movie which will turn out shit like always.

You can barely find a single Hollywood movie since yearly 2000 worth watching again with very rare exceptions
My thoughts exactly. The last Hollywood movie I regard as a masterpiece was actually 'American Beauty' from 1999, There are a few very good movies in the new millennium,but I can‘t think of one at this moment.

The trending superhero and post-apocalyptic fascination in recent years makes me barely watch hollywood stuff anymore

If you think movies is anything other than propaganda and the power to influence popular opinion, then you are very naive. I would like to encourage Asians to take pride in their own culture/people and not buy into Hollywood's agendas, like promoting the Anglo-white standard of beauty and the narrative of America saving the World from aliens, zombies, vampires, using super-advanced alien weapons developed in Area 51, etc.

There is no matter of fact about Hollywood movie being better than any other. Movies are subjective and it's about story development and acting, and not just who makes movies with the biggest budget. It's your sycophantic Viet view that Asian cinema is by default inferior to Hollywood's. Stop licking white man's boot and take pride in your own culture and watch domestic movies, instead of aspiring to American dreams.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list because my time would be better spent than talking to low esteem Viets.

China woos Hollywood studios with film fund - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/b...tnerships-aiming-to-compete-one-day.html?_r=0
China should learn from Hollywood to prevent drug epidemic - Global Times

Enough said, even your most nationalistic media tabloids/media outlets all know they have to learn from the best when they lag behind. You can keep denying this basic fact, but your leaders/officials know better than you civilians.:lol:

China is indeed learning from Hollywood. Moreover Hollywood movies dominate the Chinese market, had it not been for the fact that the Chinese government restricts/place quotas on the number of foreign films which can be screened in China, then your movie industry will be totally decimated by Hollywood, since your people love western/Hollywood movies which has better story lines/action/plots etc. No shame in admiting/when you lag behind, its better to learn from others and improve it with your own local conditions, than always pretending everything is ok and you are the best(well you dont want to be like the Qing who thought they knew it all, while the world moved on and advanced till the day they came to conquer/invade you.lol).:angel:

This is stupid. There are plenty of movement int he west who said I am NOT Charlie. I disagree with those people tremendously. But this is akin to say hey you muslims top burning American flags and stop blowing things up.

Mocking Muhammad is not a real issues. Terrorism is. Islam extremism is. American foreign policy is. Bombing/drone civilian is. Mixing cartoon over Muhammad with this is stupid. there is no doctrine in the Qu'ran that said no drawing of Muhammad. And by the way, that routine was so that people don't worship idols like Muhammad but rather Allah. So why are you folks going crazy over Muhammad and not focus on Allah. also such things should applied to Muslims. Muslims should not draw Muhammad. Everyone else has their own rules. Indonesian executing people over crimes that is not punishable by death in other countries. And my opinion (though not the same as everyone), if you are in Indonesia, don't do drug. If you are in Colorado, USA, feel free to do it.

Kim Young Un need to be laugh at.

No, drawing Mohammad SAW and mocking him in publics is a real issue and will offend most of Muslim in this world, and will get you punishable by death as stated in States law in Saudi, Iran, Kuwait, Qatar and several other country who applied Islamic law in their constitution.

The old Hong Kong movie industry had a bravado and confidence that it lost in later years. They used to churn out so many movies with shoe string budgets but were in a class of their own.

The 'Once upon a time in China' movies were so awesome but ended in disaster when they decided to add a fourth movie set in America.

These days I am so sick of guy actors who look like girls in East asian cinema. There is little nuance in emotive screen play and the cgi effects looks like b grade hollywood effects. Why not have battle scenes played out with hundreds and thousands of people like in the old days instead of crappy cgi? It costs a bit more but works out so much better.

^True this.

I'm a big big fan of wuxia/martial art movies and serials. HK used to produce the best of it, but not so much now.

Now is all about pretty faces with excessive CGI and wirework plus unnecessary drama. The latest wuxia movie I watch is "The Four" and it's a f crap. If it isn't because of the lovely Liu Yifei I wouldn't even give it a star out of ten.

@liubang , to us muslims, the prophet is like a parent. We don't worship him but we hold him dear to our heart. I'm not gonna kill anyone who insult him but still I feel greatly offended by the insult.

Last edited:
Chinese movie industry is lack of ambitious and high standard.

As well as lack of basic infrastructure like Hollywood level, whatever from writer to 3D technology.

They just make movie for living and get small rich, rather than to win in the global market.

In my opinion, Transformers are pretty bad.

You are not the only one
18% Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) - Rotten Tomatoes

but unfortunately..
‘Transformers 4′ Was 2014’s Biggest International Film – Chart | Deadline
It made over $1B internationally. Transformers: Age of Extinction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It only made $245M (panned by critics) in the US but made $301–$320 million in China and was the highest grossing film in Chinese history (until 2015 Fast Furious 7 List of highest-grossing films in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

As I said it is all about making money...even if the movie is dumb.

Will Americans watch Chinese saving people from aliens?
Will Americans watch Chinese epic historic movies?(too many of them, extremely popular in China)
I don't think so. It is not about technology or the standards of movie making. It's more about which culture dominates the world.

I think Hollywood should remake "Forbidden Planet" with a Chinese cast.
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 10.23.10 PM.png

Last edited:

Wanda has already opened an indoor movie park in Wuhan and also a theatre(Han Show) in the Central Culture District of Wuhan.

WANDA MOVIE PARK
902397dda144ad3444dfff34d3a20cf431ad8524.jpg

Han Show Theatre
屏幕快照 2015-05-02 12.51.55.png

Wanda project has invested 50 billion yuan on this project.
Built on the original "slums".
Chu River and Han Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
屏幕快照 2015-05-02 12.57.10.png

屏幕快照 2015-05-02 13.01.36.png

@powastick just bought an online discounted ticket to the park, wait for the end of the Labour Day's three-day holiday.:-)

Last edited:
Chinese cinema will never equal Hollywood, yet alone overtake it.

Your movies have no appeal because your culture isn't exportable, no one cares for those movies. Don't take it the wrong way, it's just how it is.

BTW, aside from Hollywood and Chinese movies industries (including Hongkong and Taiwan) who rarely producing good movies recently, India with their Bollywood is too at their slumber in the idea and innovation. I think, in this world, when everything is market driven, there is no more innovative idea and the pop cultures continue to affect the taste of audience.

BTW, i still found some consistence in arts and performance in plot and scenario and the power of acts from actresses and actors from European movies. Especially French and Spanish movies is good and some of them is very nice and recommended to be watched

Back
Top Bottom