What's new

Asad Umar: Malaysia interested in procuring JF-17 Thunder from Pakistan

Mathathir do not want american product. The GE414 engine is a sole.

Any word on the progress of the WS-19 Engine (Estimated max thrust of 24,000lb)?

Induction of the JF-17 with the WS-19 engine will allow the JF-17 to match the GE414, including planned future developments of the GE414. If the weight of the air frame is an issue, it is not to late for the CAC team to refine the design of the Block III to use more composites, and so have a better Thrust to weight ratio then the Tejas or TA-50.

Finally, Inducting the JF-17 would line up Malaysia to procure the J-31 when it becomes available, allowing it to keep up with the Singaporian F-35 procurement.

The only issue is the territorial disputes between Malaysia and China in the South China Sea. This may be an issue that, if not resolved, could derail procurement of the JF-17 by Malaysia.

https://www.thestar.com.my/business...st-asia-looks-to-replace-ageing-fighter-jets/

Malaysia will never buy US products that is for sure since Malaysian is anti semitic. That included LCA and Korean TA-50 with american engine.
While Russian aircraft has very low serviceability.
https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/07/31/mat-sabu-only-four-out-of-rmaf-28-russian fighter-jets-can-fly/
RMAF actually do not have much choice. JF-17 is the only solution.

Malaysia never buy US product ? i think you are lack of Info.
Malaysia actually is adopt US military system.
Since 2013 malaysia defense use US Sentry C2/C41... new second hand M109A5+, MD503G, new Gowind frigate , even MKM also use france avionic and comms.
malaysia can buy FA-50 or T-346 which more suitable replace Hawk.

Any word on the progress of the WS-19 Engine (Estimated max thrust of 24,000lb)?

Induction of the JF-17 with the WS-19 engine will allow the JF-17 to match the GE414, including planned future developments of the GE414. If the weight of the air frame is an issue, it is not to late for the CAC team to refine the design of the Block III to use more composites, and so have a better Thrust to weight ratio then the Tejas or TA-50.

Finally, Inducting the JF-17 would line up Malaysia to procure the J-31 when it becomes available, allowing it to keep up with the Singaporian F-35 procurement.

The only issue is the territorial disputes between Malaysia and China in the South China Sea. This may be an issue that, if not resolved, could derail procurement of the JF-17 by Malaysia.

https://www.thestar.com.my/business...st-asia-looks-to-replace-ageing-fighter-jets/

WS-19 Engine according news still take 2 years to come out
actually no need too serious on malaysia purchase JF-17, believe went is sign contract.
JF-17/J-31 is not Nato product, and malaysia defense now using ThalesRaytheonSystem Sentry C2/C4I, and it is not Nato product may not allow to interacted it. FA-50 or T-346 (malaysia term LCA) more have chances. since FA-50 engine also use by F/A-18 RMAF.

Malaysia never buy US product ? i think you are lack of Info.
Malaysia actually is adopt US military system.
Since 2013 malaysia defense use US Sentry C2/C41... new second hand M109A5+, MD503G, new Gowind frigate , even MKM also use france avionic and comms.
malaysia can buy FA-50 or T-346 which more suitable replace Hawk.

WS-19 Engine according news still take 2 years to come out
actually no need too serious on malaysia purchase JF-17, believe went is sign contract.
JF-17/J-31 is not Nato product, and malaysia defense now using ThalesRaytheonSystem Sentry C2/C4I, and it is not Nato product may not allow to interacted it. FA-50 or T-346 (malaysia term LCA) more have chances. since FA-50 engine also use by F/A-18 RMAF.
I am surprised of your lack of knowledge of Malaysia and Mahathir despite u being a local.

Pls view the youtube. Now PM of Malaysia is Mahathir, he called the shot. He hates American weapon to core and he hate jews. American being close allied of Israel is hated by Mahathir. You think he will buy American weapon? Even a single bolt is made by American will be despise by him. Russian military hardware is disappointing. This left him no choice but JF-17. The Russian engine is not issue as China and PAF can overhaul on behalf of RMAF if problem encountered. All this are facts, you need to accept it. JF-17 chances of winning is very high.

Malaysia currently has shortlisted 4 aircraft: typhoon, rafale, gripen, F/A-18. they do not have a requirement for a fighter of class of JF-17. it would probably do much good for pakistan to offer partnership for production to Malaysia - sort of brings them into Pak/China fold firmly.

Besides those 4

there is another Tender I guess and interest in recent news
because there i see these contenders
JF17, HAL tejas, FA 50 , Mig 35, M 346 armed

Here is recent comments of Malaysian PM on JF 17

I hope block 3 does get an engine upgrade and at lest a single more hard point and better fuel/range

If PAF has decided to stick to thunder it has to make it worth it

I am surprised of your lack of knowledge of Malaysia and Mahathir despite u being a local.
Pls view the youtube. Now PM of Malaysia is Mahathir, he called the shot. He hates American weapon to core and he hate jews. American being close allied of Israel is hated by Mahathir. You think he will buy American weapon? Even a single bolt is made by American will be despise by him. Russian military hardware is disappointing. This left him no choice but JF-17. The Russian engine is not issue as China and PAF can overhaul on behalf of RMAF if problem encountered. All this are facts, you need to accept it. JF-17 chances of winning is very high.

As your said, it is correct..my point is went Mahathir have argument with US in 1990 an, than buy Mig-29, than RMAF suffer, but went he facing pressure from US than he no choice buy small amount F/A-18. Than buy again Mi-17 but find out can't register because no type certification. at the end give to Fire and rescue department (with limited fly), than before he retirement not happy with US than buy again Su-30MKM .... than RMAF suffer again.x
but than now time is going to new generation 201x with defense also moving to "Network system" all about defense asset going to data Network or link... he still can buy what ever jet he want but that will give MAF suffer with "network" system already develop.... i believe you also know nowdays new generation military is all is about "System".
you also know china weapon hard to sell to many country due to "system", the country with less or no system is much easy to sell.

Last edited:
As your said, it is correct..my point is went Mahathir have argument with US in 1990 an, than buy Mig-29, than RMAF suffer, but went he facing pressure from US than he no choice buy small amount F/A-18. Than buy again Mi-17 but find out can't register because no type certification. at the end give to Fire and rescue department (with limited fly), than before he retirement not happy with US than buy again Su-30MKM .... than RMAF suffer again.x
but than now time is going to new generation 201x with defense also moving to "Network system" all about defense asset going to data Network or link... he still can buy what ever jet he want but that will give MAF suffer with "network" system already develop.... i believe you also know nowdays new generation military is all is about "System".
you also know china weapon hard to sell to many country due to "system", the country with less or no system is much easy to sell.

Hi,

Your concerns are very original and real---.

The package that would be offered to malaysia by Paf would be a total package---covering all the bases from a to z---.

Back
Top Bottom