What's new

Arranged-marriage vs ‘love-marriage’

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
So which one is better?

How come it’s a ‘vs’ or an ‘or’ question, some might ask. Well it is, for the vast majority of mankind for whom even one marriage is more than a handful. What’s more, for this demographic the arranged-vs.-love-marriage debate, which goes back a long way, is a practical one, and not merely an academic one. The West has generally done away with arranged matches, but the issue is still an unsettled one in own neck of the woods, where the institution of arranged-marriage is still alive and kicking.

Ardent advocates of both types of marriage abound. Some cynics, however, argue that it doesn’t make much of a difference whether a marriage is arranged or ‘love’ (shaadi shaadi hoti hai – Raisani logic, if you like). Before one can subscribe to any position on any matter, one needs to consider the problem from all possible angles. In the following, I propose to do precisely that in order to see which one is a better bet, all things considered.

For want of better options, I have been forced to use the conventional prefixes (‘arranged’ and ‘love’), which leave a lot to be desired really: for love inevitably forces the couple to make a lot of arrangements, and because love lurks somewhere in arranged-marriages too – the proof being the large number of children such marriages produce. (Note that it is still an arranged-marriage even if you fall in love with the photograph of your betrothed.)

Intellectual integrity compels me to declare that my own experience comprises a rather limited number of data points – one to be exact. However, I am blessed with a seemingly infinite capacity to imbibe from the font of other people’s experiences, and that, I believe, more than makes up for the abovementioned limitation.

Supporters of arranged-marriages contend that a collective decision is bound to be better informed than a man doing it all alone. A little reflection tells a different story however. Probability dictates that a solitary man is more likely to find a decent wife, than his mother the ‘perfect’ daughter-in-law, and all his sisters the ‘perfect’ sister-in-law, all at the same time and in the same girl. In fact, it will be a minor miracle if so many people end up agreeing on anycandidate – a major miracle if they all agree on a good one.

In praise of love-marriages it is often said that the couple already knows each other by the time they get married. I doubt if they do, really. In a country where there are no live-in relationships (thankfully), and limited contact overall, it’s easy to present the best version of oneself, raising false expectations that are bound to result in disappointment and disillusionment after marriage. In this respect, love-marriages are no different from arranged-marriages, where both families can behave impeccably until the union.

Arranged-marriages, by bypassing the process of courtship, are definitely more shariah-compliant. Their flip-side, however, is that there have been many reports chronicling some extremely unpleasant reactions of brides and grooms seeing each other for the first time, unedited, and at close quarters.

It is often said that the couple strives harder to make a love-marriage work because it realises that the onus of the blame, should anything go wrong, is on itself and on nobody else. While this sounds most wonderful in theory; in practice, there’s always the spouse to blame exclusively for all troubles. Not to mention that ultimately convenient scapegoat – the mother-in-law who ‘never really accepted me as her daughter-in-law’.

An arranged marriage is often advertised by its adherents as not merely a union of two individuals, but a coming together of two families. This too sounds capital, but experience tells us that coming together of so many people is seldom a great idea. Therefore, while theory suggests that any and all conflicts ought to be resolved amicably, equally likely is the possibility of problems arising where none ought to have existed in the first place.

Even the most romantic of my readers (and therefore most pro-love-marriage), would agree that romance has a way of fading with advancing years. So it is that in a love-marriage, one often finds oneself on the receiving end of, ‘You are not what you used to be when we met,’ or some such endearing remark. Matters are not much better in arranged marriages, where there is an equal likelihood of this sentiment being replaced by something like, ‘You were a pathetic dud from day one,’ hardly a more palatable offering.

It is often held against love-marriages that a young man’s judgment is often clouded by a woman’s appearance and beauty. While that catastrophe is happily prevented in arranged marriages, there’s another problem: the older, wiser decision-makers are as often guilty of being a little too mindful of the qualities that ultimately matter, and which only older, experienced folks can really appreciate.

It is observed that in arranged-marriages, couples don’t seem to understand each other very well, at least for the first forty-odd years. Exactly the same is observed of love-marriage-couples.

In summary, it seems we have a tie between arranged-marriage and love-marriage; and neither sounds like a particularly good option. Good-old Raisani logic may not be too far off the mark after all.

930.thumbnail.jpg

Hasan Aftab Saeed
The author is a connoisseur of music, literature, and food (but not drinks). He can be reached athasanas@live.jp.

@war&peace @GreenFalcon @SherDil007 @Mentee @Khafee @Hell hound @Indus Falcon @Well.wisher @Morse_Code @Moonlight @El_Swordsmen @Farah Sohail @PakSword
@waz

Then there is third type of marriage and that's the Islamic marriage in which the girl and boy meet, and if they like, they can get married especially if their parents agree..so it has best of both worlds.. and more importantly it discards worst of both the worlds.
If you fall in love (basically that's infatuation) your life becomes complicated and all sorts of problem start especially if parents do not agree.
However parents also need to act maturely and follow Islam instead of their egos, personal choices & preferences and traditions. Indo-Pakistani parents see their sons as their retirement plans so they normally want a controllable girl. Though under Islam law, boy is not bound to seek permission of his parents for marriage.

Last edited:
I would say if you are born in a nation where there is more population of female than Male... then 1 arranged marriage and 1 love marriage to know the difference by yourself

Otherwise marriage is must, you must share your hobbies, thoughts, interest or anything that can make your life pleasurable with your partner and it doesn't matter if you find a girl by yourself or your family finds one for you

Then there is third type of marriage and that's the Islamic marriage in which the girl and boy meet, and if they like, they can get married especially if their parents agree..so it has best of both worlds.. and more importantly it discards worst of both the worlds.
how can you meet once and agree to marry or not... you take much more time deciding which car to buy...

how can you meet once and agree to marry or not... you take much more time deciding which car to buy...

its were you high light ( Analyze ) each other and ask some questions like expectations etc

A success Married life possible if we leave for the sake of each other not for the sake of our desire

Well it can be more than once but each time it has be to overseen by elders from both sides and at least girl's side. So no dating at all. I think you don't spend years or months on deciding which car to buy.. I just check my budget, needs and I go for the car that fits the bill and needs. For example, I have already decided to buy my next car and it took me only one serious search.
Knowing a lot does not help. We see a lot of unmarried couples dating for years and then getting separated rather if we ask any non-Muslim westerner about the number of partners he / she had before marriage, the answer will 5 -10 on average. That means all their previous interactions were failure.

I would say if you are born in a nation where there is more population of female than Male... then 1 arranged marriage and 1 love marriage to know the difference by yourself

Otherwise marriage is must, you must share your hobbies, thoughts, interest or anything that can make your life pleasurable with your partner and it doesn't matter if you find a girl by yourself or your family finds one for you
As you live in UK so I guess two simultaneous marriages are illegal there :lol:

Of course love marriage is better. In case the marriage is screwed up, one gets nobody else to blame but himself. It certainly helps stop the spread of discontent.

Both have their ups and downs.

There is plenty of 'love' marriage in the US. After a few years, all that love wears off. Just look at the divorce rates. At the same time, getting stuck with someone you don't like isn't a great option either.

So being the Chaudhry Saab that I am, I will say this. Either you marry lots of women, or you don't marry at all. Not marrying will probably save you from years of turmoil and an empty wallet. Be a free soul.

It doesn't matter where I live, I think there should be 1 wife in each country of the world so that we can spread love and hamony between the nations. I think tourism industry will also thrive
well I will do that as soon as I can buy my own Gulfstream G650. I have to travel a lot especially between USA, Sweden, Pakistan and Australia...so that's a nice idea

So which one is better?

How come it’s a ‘vs’ or an ‘or’ question, some might ask. Well it is, for the vast majority of mankind for whom even one marriage is more than a handful. What’s more, for this demographic the arranged-vs.-love-marriage debate, which goes back a long way, is a practical one, and not merely an academic one. The West has generally done away with arranged matches, but the issue is still an unsettled one in own neck of the woods, where the institution of arranged-marriage is still alive and kicking.

Ardent advocates of both types of marriage abound. Some cynics, however, argue that it doesn’t make much of a difference whether a marriage is arranged or ‘love’ (shaadi shaadi hoti hai – Raisani logic, if you like). Before one can subscribe to any position on any matter, one needs to consider the problem from all possible angles. In the following, I propose to do precisely that in order to see which one is a better bet, all things considered.

For want of better options, I have been forced to use the conventional prefixes (‘arranged’ and ‘love’), which leave a lot to be desired really: for love inevitably forces the couple to make a lot of arrangements, and because love lurks somewhere in arranged-marriages too – the proof being the large number of children such marriages produce. (Note that it is still an arranged-marriage even if you fall in love with the photograph of your betrothed.)

Intellectual integrity compels me to declare that my own experience comprises a rather limited number of data points – one to be exact. However, I am blessed with a seemingly infinite capacity to imbibe from the font of other people’s experiences, and that, I believe, more than makes up for the abovementioned limitation.

Supporters of arranged-marriages contend that a collective decision is bound to be better informed than a man doing it all alone. A little reflection tells a different story however. Probability dictates that a solitary man is more likely to find a decent wife, than his mother the ‘perfect’ daughter-in-law, and all his sisters the ‘perfect’ sister-in-law, all at the same time and in the same girl. In fact, it will be a minor miracle if so many people end up agreeing on anycandidate – a major miracle if they all agree on a good one.

In praise of love-marriages it is often said that the couple already knows each other by the time they get married. I doubt if they do, really. In a country where there are no live-in relationships (thankfully), and limited contact overall, it’s easy to present the best version of oneself, raising false expectations that are bound to result in disappointment and disillusionment after marriage. In this respect, love-marriages are no different from arranged-marriages, where both families can behave impeccably until the union.

Arranged-marriages, by bypassing the process of courtship, are definitely more shariah-compliant. Their flip-side, however, is that there have been many reports chronicling some extremely unpleasant reactions of brides and grooms seeing each other for the first time, unedited, and at close quarters.

It is often said that the couple strives harder to make a love-marriage work because it realises that the onus of the blame, should anything go wrong, is on itself and on nobody else. While this sounds most wonderful in theory; in practice, there’s always the spouse to blame exclusively for all troubles. Not to mention that ultimately convenient scapegoat – the mother-in-law who ‘never really accepted me as her daughter-in-law’.

An arranged marriage is often advertised by its adherents as not merely a union of two individuals, but a coming together of two families. This too sounds capital, but experience tells us that coming together of so many people is seldom a great idea. Therefore, while theory suggests that any and all conflicts ought to be resolved amicably, equally likely is the possibility of problems arising where none ought to have existed in the first place.

Even the most romantic of my readers (and therefore most pro-love-marriage), would agree that romance has a way of fading with advancing years. So it is that in a love-marriage, one often finds oneself on the receiving end of, ‘You are not what you used to be when we met,’ or some such endearing remark. Matters are not much better in arranged marriages, where there is an equal likelihood of this sentiment being replaced by something like, ‘You were a pathetic dud from day one,’ hardly a more palatable offering.

It is often held against love-marriages that a young man’s judgment is often clouded by a woman’s appearance and beauty. While that catastrophe is happily prevented in arranged marriages, there’s another problem: the older, wiser decision-makers are as often guilty of being a little too mindful of the qualities that ultimately matter, and which only older, experienced folks can really appreciate.

It is observed that in arranged-marriages, couples don’t seem to understand each other very well, at least for the first forty-odd years. Exactly the same is observed of love-marriage-couples.

In summary, it seems we have a tie between arranged-marriage and love-marriage; and neither sounds like a particularly good option. Good-old Raisani logic may not be too far off the mark after all.

930.thumbnail.jpg

Hasan Aftab Saeed
The author is a connoisseur of music, literature, and food (but not drinks). He can be reached athasanas@live.jp.

@war&peace @GreenFalcon @SherDil007 @Mentee @Khafee @Hell hound @Indus Falcon @Well.wisher @Morse_Code @Moonlight @El_Swordsmen @Farah Sohail @PakSword
@waz
All of my female cousins have touched the mark of 30+ so no chance in family . I think this is what you meant by arrange marriage ?

All of my female cousins have touched the mark of 30+ so no chance in family . I think this is what you meant by arrange marriage ?

What about Phupo ki beti ???

I'll prefer Arrange marriage.. Cause the one who raised you have the right to take this decision of your life..

There is no Love exists in real world.. Its all about Fiction.. Love marriage requires more compromises and mostly after marriage people can't do that.
@Hell hound @GreenFalcon @Zibago

I'll prefer Arrange marriage.. Cause the one who raised you have the right to take this decision of your life..

There is no Love exists in real world.. Its all about Fiction.. Love marriage requires more compromises and mostly after marriage people can't do that.
My phupo has no beti #Thankgod

My view is different you are going to spend your entire life with the other person i am fan of arranged love marriages where parents dont impose their will and kids listen to their paremts viewpoint

i will go for love marriage.times are changing our needs are more defined now and generation gap between us and our parents is substantially huge in fact it is the largest gap since inception of this world all courtesy of advances in electronics.
throwing two strangers in a room and expecting them to love each might have worked in the past but not anymore.you need someone with same brain power, mindset and values as you.
reason for increasing divorces is not because of increase in love marriages it is because of increased self awareness decreasing pressure for divorced people(a good thing you can't spend your whole life in hell because of single mistake).you and only you understand and know what you want and when you don't get those core things you wanted in the relationship breakup or divorce happens.it doesn't even matter what type of marriage it was.
best option in my opinion is either let your child do love marriage or give them enough space and alone time without putting the pressure to commit no matter what before arrange marriage.so guy and girl can understand each other better and decide them self either their to be partner is compatible with them or not.

My view is different you are going to spend your entire life with the other person i am fan of arranged love marriages where parents dont impose their will and kids listen to their paremts viewpoint
shiekho lagta hay apna dono ka demagh ek hi cast main tyar hoa hay:lol:

Back
Top Bottom