What's new

Army to induct 'offensive' corps along China border

falconfx

BANNED
Reaction score
NEW DELHI: The Indian security establishment is considering the largest-ever upgrade of military capabilities along the China border as it tries to catch up with the militarily advanced neighbour.

Sources told TOI that the defence ministry has proposed the setting up of a Mountain Strike Corps and two Independent Brigades along the China border. The proposed corps would be India's fourth strike corps and the only one dedicated for offensive operations in mountainous terrain.

When contacted, a senior Army official looking after media affairs denied any such move. However, authoritative sources said the Cabinet Committee on Security is set to consider the proposal in the coming weeks. Once approved, the proposal would lead to a massive upgrade in India's military capabilities, and would be a huge step-up of Army presence along the border.

A senior official in the security establishment told TOI that the entire proposal was part of Army leadership's "vision" to catch up with China in military capabilities. The entire effort was "defensive in nature", he said.

Presently, Indian Army is engaged in raising two mountain divisions along the border with the giant neighbour. The proposed strike corps and two independent brigades would be separate from the two divisions being raised, he said.

The Army proposal, now under consideration at the highest levels of the government, envisages an expenditure of Rs 9,500 crore. The cost is primarily for new equipment such as ultra light howitzers and helicopters required for creating these highly mobile units. Units of the strike corps, to be based somewhere in the northeast, would be capable of operating like rapid reaction forces. The strike corps would have two divisions and other support troops, TOI has learnt.

The Army proposal includes raising of an independent brigade in Ladakh, and another brigade in Uttarakhand. Sources within the security establishment have for long been worried about India's military weaknesses before China's intimidating military modernisation. Coupled with a weak infrastructure, India's situation has been worrying to security experts.

After the defeat of 1962, India abandoned infrastructure development along border areas with China for decades.

Army to induct 'offensive' corps along China border

I thought the image that was being fed to the international community from the Indian side was that India and China are working towards a better future, where Indian and Chinese people will benefit from each other by opening up their borders for workers and students.

I don't think anyone's going to buy that crap if you're going to raise a new corp along the Chinese border called the "Offensive Corp".

Good luck with the raising. :lol:

These 'offensive corps' are supposed to 'deter' the raiding PLA army who come down about 50 kms within the border and write china on stones in Indian territory. The raising of offensive corps is to make sure they don't go back if they intrude.

The moment i saw that the article was from Times of India,i stopped further reading.

In a war attack is the best form of defence.I think this is a good move by the IA as it is not possible to be totally defencive in a war and win it.

In a war attack is the best form of defence.I think this is a good move by the IA as it is not possible to be totally defencive in a war and win it.

You cannot win a war against China. This is not even a possibility with Pakistan. Nowadays no war is winnable specially when the adversary has more than enough capability to deny victory to you.

Strike corps in the context of Mountain warfare is a non-starter. If anything, you can throw more infantry, mobility and mountain artillery at it but its nothing different than what is being done right now.

A good move by India, when they are Upgrading there Infrastructure along the border, why shouldnt we, we must upgrade Further and Give a strong warning that any misadventure And there will be a heavy retaliation....

You cannot win a war against China. This is not even a possibility with Pakistan. Nowadays no war is winnable specially when the adversary has more than enough capability to deny victory to you.

Strike corps in the context of Mountain warfare is a non-starter. If anything, you can throw more infantry, mobility and mountain artillery at it but its nothing different than what is being done right now.

May be true about the war.. But not about battles. One of the ways to deny victory to the attacker is to have the capability to attack back. In your scenario, assume an attack by China on India and you will see the relevence of the availability of strike corps on the Eastern border.

Good. I hope the Indians piss off the Chinese and then suffer their wrath.

:rofl: Do you really think Chinese would do anything ? War is not good for both the countries. And both countries know that.

I guess the aim is only a limited victory in-terms of territory which can be used as a bargaining chip later. Or just Defensive force to prevent any misadventure.

I see no sense for a war with China and hope everything is sorted out by Dialogue.
flagindia.gif

I thought the image that was being fed to the international community from the Indian side was that India and China are working towards a better future, where Indian and Chinese people will benefit from each other by opening up their borders for workers and students.

I don't think anyone's going to buy that crap if you're going to raise a new corp along the Chinese border called the "Offensive Corp".

Good luck with the raising. :lol:

"Precaution is better than cure"

Well what u are hearing is rite. Political trust building coupled with a strong defensive capabilities will help India stand on an equal footing with China.

And this will help in obtaining agreements among equals otherwise there will be a lot of pressure tactics used to gain an edge over us.

what's the big deal if Indian Army to induct 'offensive' corps along China border, please cut the troll guyz..

I am glad India is warming up to a potentially dangerous and unpredictable China. First the deployment of Su-30 mki along our eastern border , then getting those light but very effective howitzers from USA and now this. I can see where this is headed. I hope soon we will have a credible deterrent against China along our eastern borders.
Good going India:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom