What's new

Army ready the foot over-bridge at CWG in 4 days

Army to hand over footbridge near Nehru stadium soon | Defence / Terrorism

Army to hand over footbridge near Nehru stadium soon

New Delhi, Sep 28 – Around 600 combat engineers of the Indian Army, working on war footing for a little over four days, have managed to rebuild a footbridge near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium — days after it collapsed causing embarrassment ahead of the showpiece Commonwealth Games.

‘The bridge will be handed over to the organisers (of the sporting event) soon,’ an official in the army headquarters told IANS.

The army stepped in to build the retractable Bailey overpass after an under-construction footbridge collapsed Tuesday near the stadium, the main venue of the mega sporting event.

According to officials at the Army Headquarters here, construction work started Saturday and the structure is almost ready and will be handed over to the Games Organising Committee after a necessary safety trial.

The official said it took over 600 combat engineers from the Madras Engineer Group, known as the Madras Sappers, to finish the job in a little over four days.

The structure made of portable steel sheets and iron angles with roadbed width of 12 feet has been erected on concrete pillars on either side of the elevated Barapullah Nallah, on which the earlier structure rested, near Lodhi Road.

When the army was called in Saturday, the combat engineers swiftly went into action by conduction a quick feasibility test and then drew up a design, working literally on war footing.

They have added three piers to make the bridge – that will be used by athletes during the event – more safe.

The framework, made of iron grills serving as support for the floor and the railings, was completed on the second day.

The bridge connects the main Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium to a nearby parking lot.

The officials refused to give an estimate of the cost of the structure. The army will pack it away soon after the Oct 3-14 Games finish.

The bridge-collapse had triggered a barrage of criticism over preparations for the event, the biggest in India after the 1982 Asian Games.

Last edited:
Buddy the roads have already started caving in and as far as metro is concerned, well only one man called 'E. Sreedharan' deserves credit for that and even that would have happen with or without CWG.

Bhai itni baarish hui hai (highest rainfall in 32 years), shukra hai sirf roads tooti, pados mein dekho. things could have been worse. As for traffic snarls, more blame goes to commuters with no traffic sense. Mumbai has got far more congested roads, still traffic keeps on moving, though slowly. Here in delhi, people follow only one rule - I will not let you go before me.result- nobody moves.

OMG the Indian Army built the bridge by the time we came from Page 1 to Page 4 on this thread?:cheesy:

Bhai itni baarish hui hai (highest rainfall in 32 years), shukra hai sirf roads tooti, pados mein dekho. things could have been worse. As for traffic snarls, more blame goes to commuters with no traffic sense. Mumbai has got far more congested roads, still traffic keeps on moving, though slowly. Here in delhi, people follow only one rule - I will not let you go before me.result- nobody moves.

I follow one very simple rule: NIKAL KE DIKHA!:rofl:

On Topic:

Buddy people also have their own limitations, when people are pushed to the wall, what else do you expect to happen?

I follow one very simple rule: NIKAL KE DIKHA!:rofl:

On Topic:

Buddy people also have their own limitations, when people are pushed to the wall, what else do you expect to happen?

In every other major city around the world, people fall in line at traffic lights, in delhi, they try to squeeze in wherever they find space. most of them have already crossed the lights by the time signal turns green while vehicles coming from other side try to pass the signal even after it turns yellow.If no traffic policemen are there, people run through red lights. tell me honestly, who is"pushing" them to do so? I am yet to see any car in delhi without dents, and then they park their cars in the middle of the road and start fighting. I have not seen such arrogance and utter negligence for traffic rules even in small towns of UP.

In every other major city around the world, people fall in line at traffic lights, in delhi, they try to squeeze in wherever they find space.

Compare the number of private vehicles in Delhi to that in 'every other major city' and you will find an answer to this...

Look buddy even patience has a limit (just like anything else in this world):

5 vehicles ahead of me: Ok let's wait
10 Vehicles ahead of me: Let's just wait
15 vehicles ahead of me: Man this cop is standing so let's wait
20 vehicles ahead of me: Shall I jump or shall I not?
25 vehicles ahead of me: Let me see, what will happen if I try? Is there any cop around?
30+ vehicles ahead of me: To hell with it, man I'm leaving!

It is nothing but basic human tendency. you cannot blame the people for that.

We have just way too many vehicles on delhi's road. We need to bring some congestion tax (on weekdays) or something in place.

As far as arrogance is concerned,

Those in large cars do have some arrogance at times and those on two wheelers/in busses are simply so pissed of due to Delhi's searing heat/pollution etc. that it becomes impossible to not grow horns.

In summers, when at traffic intersections (in the middle of all the cars in the afternoon), the temperature can reach to even unbearable 50's, it requires a herculean effort just to remain focussed on riding/driving, retaining one's cool is next to impossible.

This is no radio mirchi ad where you can say "Mirchi sun ne waale always khush!"...LoL Real life just doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Look buddy even patience has a limit (just like anything else in this world):

5 vehicles ahead of me: Ok let's wait
10 Vehicles ahead of me: Let's just wait
15 vehicles ahead of me: Man this cop is standing so let's wait
20 vehicles ahead of me: Shall I jump or shall I not?
25 vehicles ahead of me: Let me see, what will happen if I try? Is there any cop around?
30+ vehicles ahead of me: To hell with it, man I'm leaving!

It is nothing but basic human tendency. you cannot blame the people for that.

get caught by traffic police for jumping traffic lights? bribe him and then rant about omnipresent corruption in India

A biker is trying to get ahead in front of your car? roll down your windowpane and start abusing him

Another car bumped into yours trying to move ahead(just like you)? come out of your car and start fighting

Ofcourse, CWG is to be blamed for this, right??

guys do u know which channels are going to broadcast the opening ceremony??.i heard abt BBC

get caught by traffic police for jumping traffic lights? bribe him and then rant about omnipresent corruption in India

A biker is trying to get ahead in front of your car? roll down your windowpane and start abusing him

Another car bumped into yours trying to move ahead(just like you)? come out of your car and start fighting

Ofcourse, CWG is to be blamed for this, right??

When did I say CWG was responsible for this? LoL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom