What's new

Armor Piercing 5.56 -VS- 1/2 inch steel Plate.

boomslang

Reaction score
Country
United States
ry%3D400

...the plate lost. Today I hit this 1/2 inch steel plate with two 62 g. armor piercing rounds and one 'plain' 55 g. FMJ round from 200 yards. I was shocked at the devastation. Like a hot knife though butter. The last round I shot missed the plate and hit the chain holding it. That was the end of that. I have another plate that's a little thicker. Next weekend I'll see how that works out.:sniper:

Which weapon did you use?

My handy dandy AR. I LOVE that thing. Can you put 'Inch' after the '1/2' in my title ? I forgot.

Aren't armor piercing rounds illegal?

Not in Pennsylvania where I live, although I WAS shooting in New Jersey where they ARE illegal. Whoopsy !!:angel:

Sadly this is what the miscreants use as usual practice
My handy dandy AR. I LOVE that thing. Can you put 'Inch' after the '1/2' in my title ? I forgot.

Not in Pennsylvania where I live, although I WAS shooting in New Jersey where they ARE illegal. Whoopsy !!:angel:
waiting for the thicker plate :whistle:

^ The XM855 are not classified as AP they have a steel core tip which allows them enhanced penetration power. They are "penetrator" rounds. Real AP ammunition is black tipped, and has hardened core steel/metal.

ATF doesn't even classify as XM855 as AP nor does the US army. The XM855 will punch through soft steel (I've seen up to 3/4") however won't punch through real armor plating. I wouldn't risk firing the XM855 at armor plating you may very well get a nasty ricochet.

^ The XM855 are not classified as AP they have a steel core tip which allows them enhanced penetration power. They are "penetrator" rounds. Real AP ammunition is black tipped, and has hardened core steel/metal.

ATF doesn't even classify as XM855 as AP nor does the US army. The XM855 will punch through soft steel (I've seen up to 3/4") however won't punch through real armor plating. I wouldn't risk firing the XM855 at armor plating you may very well get a nasty ricochet.

They are green tipped and marketed by Lake City as 'Light Armor Piercing' (L.A.P.) Lake City Armory is an Army owned contractor run ammo producer for the U.S. Army. I'm 200 yards away so I'm not too worried about the ricochet. I wouldn't get too much closer, though.

xm8551000.jpg

Last edited:
They are green tipped and 'marketed' by some as 'Light Armor Piercing' (L.A.P.) Lake City Armory is an Army owned contractor run ammo producer for the U.S. Army. I'm 200 yards away so I'm not too worried about the ricochet. I wouldn't get too much closer, though.

xm8551000.jpg

Yeah they are light armor piercing or semi-armor piercing. Look up the M855A1 that is a true AP 5.56 round.

@A1Kaid Any hookups for an AR-15 in Lahore?

No, but I would search for gun stores online in Lahore call and ask around.

... Look up the M855A1 that is a true AP 5.56 round.

Yeah, I read something on them a while back. I think they are supposed to be more 'eco-friendly'. I've also read some stuff where some people bitched about them not being as accurate. The plain old M855 is fine for my uses. I don't expect to be shooting at an MRAP any time soon.

I ve switched to black hills 50 gr TSX for CQ & out to 175 yards, Never thought about getting them green tipped pills.

I ve switched to black hills 50 gr TSX for CQ & out to 175 yards, Never thought about getting them green tipped pills.

For defense I use HPR 124 g. JHP 9 MM. For target I've been buying Freedom Munitions stuff lately. Nice deals on 9 MM and 5.56. I just ordered 400 rounds of Igman ( Danish) 5.56 before I started farting around on this site today. I really like the stuff. From now though the 4th of July holiday it's $5 shipping on all orders.:sniper:

Last edited:
ry%3D400

...the plate lost. Today I hit this 1/2 inch steel plate with two 62 g. armor piercing rounds and one 'plain' 55 g. FMJ round from 200 yards. I was shocked at the devastation. Like a hot knife though butter. The last round I shot missed the plate and hit the chain holding it. That was the end of that. I have another plate that's a little thicker. Next weekend I'll see how that works out.:sniper:

Firing these rounds must be real excitement, because in the end you want know how accurate you are & how well did these bullets do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom