What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

I got 1 question.
Why dont India uses russian or western hi-techs?
Like.. make an agreements like.. where india gets the technology.. then i mean 100% of it.
and then out of that 100% tank technology they can make better ones.
instead of making these things..

I got 1 question.
Why dont India uses russian or western hi-techs?
Like.. make an agreements like.. where india gets the technology.. then i mean 100% of it.
and then out of that 100% tank technology they can make better ones.
instead of making these things..

there's something called 'self reliance' my friend !!

u cant just always rely on someone else to give u hi-tech stuff !!!!

itzz better if you it of ur own ..

so that u dont have to send RFPs 'request for proposals' etc etc... round the globe to fulfill ur each and every requirement !!!

And India has realized this requirement !!!!

there's something called 'self reliance' my friend !!

u cant just always rely on someone else to give u hi-tech stuff !!!!

itzz better if you it of ur own ..

so that u dont have to send RFPs 'request for proposals' etc etc... round the globe to fulfill ur each and every requirement !!!

And India has realized this requirement !!!!

Why not do it both?
or why has Turkey succeeded then?
and when happens if you face full scale war?
that will cost alot of lives.

Well Arjun even indian army got sick of it plz it is a failed project thats why india bought huge numbers in T 90 tank

Well Arjun even indian army got sick of it plz it is a failed project thats why india bought huge numbers in T 90 tank

when we have a better and an even advanced version of arjun ie.......its mk2 tank coming ......

then why pour the money on arjun and not on arjun mk2 ........ ask urself

and plzz use some common sense before writing ur posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall:

can you please tell me the current status of arjun?
last i heard that the integration of the engine and other main components had failed?
dont mean to offend anyone?

can you please tell me the current status of arjun?
last i heard that the integration of the engine and other main components had failed?
dont mean to offend anyone?

care to post your source... If rupeenews then don't bother...

DRDO working on more advanced version of Arjun MBT: Saraswat - India - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: After receiving orders for 124 more Arjun main battle tanks, the DRDO has decided to supply an advanced version of the weapon system to meet the requirements of the Army.

"We will have the modifications (on Arjuns) that the Army is looking for," Defence Research and Development Organisation chief V K Saraswat said here on Thursday.

He was asked if the DRDO had any plans of delivering a more advanced version of Arjun to the Army as part of the next order. The DRDO chief was talking to reporters on the sidelines of a function to mark the golden jubilee of the Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS).

Saraswat said that the DRDO had already started working on the mark II version of the tank, which will incorporate a number of modifications that have been sought by the Army.

"We have to make certain modifications in the tank, which we call the Arjun mark II version. Development process on mark II is already in progress and our scientists and the Army are working together," Saraswat said.

The DRDO chief said the decision by the Army to place orders for 124 more Arjuns will ensure that the assembly line of the tanks is "engaged".

Army has till date placed orders for 248 Arjun tanks of which 124 have already been delivered to it. The orders for additional 124 tanks was placed after the comparative trials in March and April this year.

The comparative trials between the Arjun and the Russian T-90 were carried out to decided the future of the tank in the Army, during which the indigenous tanks reportedly performed satisfactorily.

The DRDO wants the Army to place orders for at least 500 Arjuns to recover its investments before staring work on the futuristic main battle tank for the service.

Commenting on the role of INMAS during the recent Mayapuri radiation leak case here, Saraswat said, "INMAS also has the expertise of detecting nuclear radiation and we provided the fastest response to the casualties there. We were able to send our teams within four hours and we also found out the level of radiation."

The other system being developed is the ALWCS system. This consists of a laser warning system, Infra-Red (IR) jammer and aerosol smoke grenade system. This is being developed jointly with Elbit Systems Limited of Israel. The system will be integrated on MBT Arjun and performance evaluation trials are expected in mid 2009.

i read the above in an article guys.....

lwr, ir jammer, smoke grenade launcher.... all extremely gud ...... but what about the laser guided weapons ... can ir jammer also do that job ??? plz tell

Arjun Mark II battle tank getting ready, first trials by June 2012

Chennai: The prototype of the Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II will be ready for testing by June 2012, officials of the Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVR&DE), Avadi, have said. The Arjun MBT Mark I was tested in 1984.

Officials of the CVR&DE, the nodal design and development agency for the MBT, said Mark II was not only a improved version of Mark I but also had several unique features, including greater missile firepower and better protection. “By the summer of 2012, we will come out with a prototype of Arjun Mark II for tests by the Army while the complete version will be ready by 2014,” CVR&DE director P Sivakumar told The Times Of India.

On July 9, the first executive board meeting was held at the CVR&DE on finalizing the configuration for the Mark II where officials of the DRDO and CVR&DE reviewed progress made by various establishments towards meeting the various requirements of the Army. Besides the CVRDE, the expertise of several allied DRDO organisations was taken for developing the Mark II.

Of the 82 improvements requested over the earlier version, the CVR&DE has so far completed 21 improvements. Some of them are: substantial increase in the missile firing capacity, provisions for night vision and for enabling the crew to engage targets under static and dynamic conditions. “Many of the improvements requested are technical in nature. The Mark I could engage targets only under static conditions. However, the Army wanted this version to engage in static and moving conditions so we incorporated them,” said Sivakumar.

The new version will also have a explosive reactive armoury (ERA) that will help the crew identify explosives deployed by the enemy from a distance and take precautionary measures. The 12.7mm advance air defence gun and a new builtin power unit to reduce the noise generated are among the the other features.

The present MTB with the Army is covered with nets during operations. Mark II will have a perfect camouflage. “We delivered 80 of the 124 Arjun Mark I tanks and will deliver the rest before March 2011. We have got orders for another 124 tanks,” Sivakumar added.

Article Window

The Arjun is a fairly capable tank-though, yet to prove itself- as compared to advanced western tanks. the only disappointment is the duration, delays and cost over runs of the project. By now they shold have moved to next generation Arjun (no need to move to other mythological names :azn: Arjun 2). I feel the weaponry and electronics would be up to the mark however not confident about armour. To make it as strong ans as light as possible requires an advanced knowledge of materials science-india's achilles heel-also as pointed by a user the armour on arjun should have been slanting..it baffles me for not being so. A slanted plate has effectively more thickness than the same plate if held up vertically, and also helps reflect the energy better..see this for your self(eg. with a notebook viewed from its edge-slant & vertical):blink:

Back
Top Bottom