What's new

Arjun-II MBT development l Updates & discussion.

It was IA that wanted the change in the middle of trials, this program has always had it's requirements changed by the user.

This isnt the DRDO's choice, first they wanted all these changes on mark 1 that added weight, then in the middle of mark 2's trials they want more weight reduction.

IA never has these type of requirements for foreign OEMs. 50 tons is an error made by the outlet. 62 tons is probably what it is.

With that said, DRDO labs are gaining extensive experience armored development, which will be used in FRCV, FICV, etc. Some of it is being used in T90, 72.

That is the problem. It is all about making money for DRDO. In doing so, they screwed the national interest bigtime. After 40 years in the making, they are still gaining extensive experience.

Unreal!

That is the problem. It is all about making money for DRDO. In doing so, they screwed the national interest bigtime. After 40 years in the making, they are still gaining extensive experience.

Unreal!

Dude, what dont you get? IA keeps changing the requirement! DRDO doesnt operate on making any money. It'll exist with or without. They actively support and nurture the private sector even, who will eventually become their competitors in non-strategic R&D.

The user keeps changing the requirement, this isnt DRDO doing. For the example of the new AR. Originally IA wanted a multi caliber rifle.

Ok sure -- Basic proto made, trialing all over India.

main-qimg-cede676597e9175645afeb0100ce927a-c

Now, they dont want ANY of the 3 calibers that was their original requirement, killing the program. This was the problem with the Arjun, you just saw another requirement change in the middle of trials! When the original one added on weight!! These types of trials and tribulations arent asked for the Russians for examples. The even got to skip trials.

After 40 years in the making, they are still gaining extensive experience.

No, I am following, maybe not as closely as others, but DRDO labs are gaining momentum in several fields, fast. I remember what it was like here when I join, compared to now.

Last edited:
Dude, what dont you get? IA keeps changing the requirement! DRDO doesnt operate on making any money. It'll exist with or without. They actively support and nurture the private sector even, who will eventually become their competitors in non-strategic R&D.

The user keeps changing the requirement, this isnt DRDO doing. For the example of the new AR. Originally IA wanted a multi caliber rifle.

Ok sure -- Basic proto made, trialing all over India.

main-qimg-cede676597e9175645afeb0100ce927a-c

Now, they dont want ANY of the 3 calibers that was their original requirement, killing the program. This was the probably with the Arjun, you just saw another requirement change in the middle of trials! When the original one added on weight!! These types of trials and tribulations arent asked by the Russians for examples. The even got to skip trials.

No, I am following, maybe not as closely as others, but DRDO labs are gaining momentum in several fields, fast. I remember what it was like here when I join, compared to now.

They are a burden on the nation. Their track record shows just that.

Far from it. Look, I can agree on OFB, but DRDO, especially with the co-operation of the private sector is a winning combo. They've been showing results in several fields. Several of it's labs are gain momentum. Like I said, I remember what it was like when I join, dismal, not the same anymore. And another 10 years is going to be great.

Far from it. Look, I can agree on OFB, but DRDO, especially with the co-operation of the private sector is a winning combo. They've been showing results in several fields. Several of it's labs are gain momentum. Like I said, I remember what it was like when I join, dismal, not the same anymore. And another 10 years is going to be great.

That will make it 50 years right? ARe you sure Arjun will be inducted by then? Judging from the past track record, the situation is pretty dismal.

That will make it 50 years right? ARe you sure Arjun will be inducted by then? Judging from the past track record, the situation is pretty dismal.

I dont really care for the Arjun per-se. It'll get the order, but IA's true T90 replacement is the FRCV program. DRDO knows this, will partner with the private sector for the FRCV program. Arjuns weight alone wont allow it to continue on for IA's FRCV.

This is the problem when one over-generalizes. In reality there are some labs that have done phenomenally well and then there are those that are mediocre. The accountability to complete a program on time was an issue back then, however this trend is gradually changing with projects sanctioned recently. I'm not saying there isn't any delay, it's just that the magnitude of those delays is shrinking.
There are certain labs most notably the radar labs(LRDE) and the missile cluster(DRDL,ASL and RCI) that have been doing some great stuff. The missile in discussion in other thread(astra) is from DRDL and believe me it's better than R77 in certain aspects. They've already tried an indigenous seeker for astra(you can use google to establish the veracity of this information). With the indigenous seeker, DRDL will be able to integrate it with any radar.
As for the delay in arjun, it's sheer mis management and lack of accountability for those delays as has been flagged in various CAG reports.

Last edited:
If the hull and turret re-fabrication with new materials is to be believed, the whole program just got delayed for several more years. The testing alone may take two years and subsequent changes will be validated. Simply put, whoever is in charge of the project is screwing it pretty badly. The IA is not amused and i can see why.

First, they designed an overweight behemoth and boasted all around it. Then, they thought about weight reduction?? Didnt DRDO/ CVRDE know from the word go that anything above 50 metric ton will have a tormenting time in the Thar/ Cholistan desert? It all seems to be about milking the army and extract $$.

Someone should write a book on this whole episode. All this is costing the IA dearly and they are forced to see alternative solutions.

Since the private sector is involved, the chance of Arjun Mk2 process getting expedited has imo increased.
Look at Larsen and Toubro with Samsung Techwin producing K9 SPHs.

pibimage.jpg

Ministry of Defence
01-December, 2018 17:52 IST

Defence Acquisition Council also approved the procurement of Armoured Recovery Vehicles (ARVs) for the Indian Army’s Main Battle Tank Arjun. These are designed and Developed by DRDO and would be manufactured by M/s BEML. ARVs ensure efficient and speedy repair and recovery operations during combat.

Hmm, how is it going? The IA still rejecting it and insisting on imports?

Yes it is, but Arjun MBT no more a DRDO project it as PPP project and Private companies have taken few burdens to change the corner, effects will be seen in coming years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom