What's new

Are you for or against Indo-US JD projects?

Are you for or against the latest US offers for Joint developments?

• I am for it

Votes: 32 68.1%
  • I am against it

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I prefer a wait and watch and will see where it goes.

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

acid rain

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Guys!!!

The US has offered a few joint development projects, namely Javelin, EMALs, Sikorsky helis, M45 naval gun etc and are keen for joint production with India. I would like to know your views on this whether you are for it or against India joining up in those programs. Also I would like your comments on why you think so.l

Hi Guys!!!

The US has offered a few joint development projects, namely Javelin, EMALs, Sikorsky helis, M45 naval gun etc and are keen for joint production with India. I would like to know your views on this whether you are for it or against India joining up in those programs. Also I would like your comments on why you think so.

What rational person could seriously be against this?

India DESPRETLY needs to upgrade its military and many of the best products on offer are from the US. They have the capacity and willingness to dramatically improve India's military capabilities.

India should also be looking to (and is) increase military-military ties between the two nations. There's a lot to be gained in this by both sides.

Of course India should go into any dealing with the US with eyes open and needs to make sure it maintains its sovereignty and it's Independant foreign policy. But from a purely defence perspective these sort of agreements between the two sides is simply mouth watering and end can only imagine what the future holds for India's military.

India should use the US and milk it as much as possible, but very carefully, like the US uses countries for it's interests, all the time remembering that the US is no friend of India. India would be foolish to believe it can trust the US, don't forget history, the same US has hurt India many, many times in the past and supported enemy countries.

What if 5hit hits the fan and India does something that is against US interests, what will happen to any joint projects? What is the point of joint weapons if the US says India cannot use those weapons against a country under US protection?

Agree with all the posts above.

We should act in our own self interest ... and hence decisions should be on a case by case basis. We should get into projects which make economic sense for us, suit our long term goals, give us control (e.g. if US decides to walk out later), keeps us diversified in terms of sourcing and manufacturing is in India (where possible).

Dude Whom will go against it :pissed:

But i support JV with American only if they want to sell 2 Nimitz Class AV to India :usflag: ... We can build our trust from there :yahoo:

Stupid Robot MMS wont demand more ! INDIA Need Brainy Leader like ME :smart:

India should use the US and milk it as much as possible, but very carefully, like the US uses countries for it's interests, all the time remembering that the US is no friend of India. India would be foolish to believe it can trust the US, don't forget history, the same US has hurt India many, many times in the past and supported enemy countries.

What if 5hit hits the fan and India does something that is against US interests, what will happen to any joint projects? What is the point of joint weapons if the US says India cannot use those weapons against a country under US protection?

you are right. in the case of Iraq and taliban both were once us allies. but India need a JV with US in defense sector.

For it since no other option remains. The JVs are not limited to the Javelins (in this particular case a JV isn't exactly what's on the table to begin with) and naval guns alone. India at the moment has a lot to consider, many other options have been put on the table. Some which we cannot truly ignore, since indigenous development in those areas while very much possible was simply never taken up at the right time and can no longer be viably conducted.

The US will soon be digging into the land-mobility requirements of the IA and providing some juicy ventures which we shall be hard pressed to let go of. Since wheeled armored troop carriers are non-existent at the moment and the case is similar for armored patrol and tactical vehicles the IA will be most receptive. What the MOD does as the apex decision making body on the matter is a different issue. These offers are not particularly recent though and have been around in some form or the other since 2009-10.

India should look into the prospect of having US as a JV partner for the F-INSAS project. US has one the if not the most well equipped army. They can help us in equipping and creating better personal equipment for our men on the front line.

I wonder what is the motive or mindset of those who voted against it?

India is way behind USA in technology... so what will be the use of JV? what will India bring to table..
its just a way to avoid being seen selling weapons ... americans learnt it from russians/israelis..

There is no other way to get High End Technology without Co-development with Americans. They are in a totally different league. No one comes close. For couple of decades we should swallow our pride and toe the American line till we can independently stand on our own two feets. Some thing like the Japanesse.

Not only with US but with any country more technically advanced than us, for that matter even Ukraine should be cautiously partnered with if they are really willing to share their stop gap tech in lieu of sharing burden of expenditure incurred during common R&D phase.

In future I think more and more allied countries having no convergence of interests would participate together to develop various platforms, it would be economical.

Any guesses what brought about this change in US policy towards India only few years back they were reluctant to share Javelin know-how . Has it something to do with growing Sino-Russian proximity?? US was already miffed after Snowden episode and then Syria.

Back
Top Bottom