What's new

Are we indians celebrating hima das medals too much?

Vikki

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
I read an article which says hima das's gold medals are like winning 5 matches against afghanistan in cricket...the races she won dont have higher grading with IAAF...she hasntt even qualified for world championships...then why are we getting too excited? Due to lack of knowledge of the standard of races she is taking part in?

Because we are shit in athletics and let people celebrate or esle such sports wont get encouragement

Last edited by a moderator:
Because we are shit in athletics and let people celebrate or esle such sports wont get encouragement

Are u insane or u try too hard sometimes?your posts are not even funny
Hmm...but i feel we are exaggerating...good that girl is doing well but not to a level she receives this much appreciation..let her win a medal first in some major racing event like world championships or olympics

Never thought i would write this on PDF, but posters like the OP is why North Eastern people of India find a disconnect with the rest of the country. 5 gold medals in world events in a month, smashing national records, and winning medals in Asian Games(if that's not an world event i don't know what else is) all before she is 20 years of age.

People like these are the same ones who criticized Dutee Chand for her sexual orientation.

You want us to stop playing sports and winning medals for India to go back to our old ways. Really deplorable thread, and here i was thinking of posting a thread yesterday about her glorious achievements.

@Head hunter @halupridol @hembo @swnjo Just have a look at this pathetic thread guys, i am lost for words.

Never thought i would write this on PDF, but posters like the OP is why North Eastern people of India find a disconnect with the rest of the country. 5 gold medals in world events in a month, smashing national records, and winning medals in Asian Games(if that's not an world event i don't know what else is) all before she is 20 years of age.

People like these are the same ones who criticized Dutee Chand for her sexual orientation.

You want us to stop playing sports and winning medals for India to go back to our old ways. Really deplorable thread, and here i was thinking of posting a thread yesterday about her glorious achievements.

@Head hunter @halupridol @hembo @swnjo Just have a look at this pathetic thread guys, i am lost for words.
Same here man , and this not the first time OP has started such threads

You got me wrong brother...I am really happy for her..I have even posted a post on my fb page congratulating her...but I honestly feel we are getting over excited..i am not against appreciating her but its going overboard...I will be more than happy if my northeastern brothers and sisters do well in any profession that brings laurels to my country...I really wish she wins an olympic gold medal for us.
Read this
https://www.newsclick.in/hima-das-gold-medals-and-need-realistic-perspective

You got me wrong brother...I am really happy for her..I have even posted a post on my fb page congratulating her...but I honestly feel we are getting over excited..i am not against appreciating her but its going overboard...I will be more than happy if my northeastern brothers and sisters do well in any profession that brings laurels to my country...I really wish she wins an olympic gold medal for us.
Read this
https://www.newsclick.in/hima-das-gold-medals-and-need-realistic-perspective
Brother, i am not going to discuss her sporting achievements with you as those are self explanatory should you choose to analyse them objectively instead of relying on a self-defeating news article.

Celebrating the accomplishments of noted sportspersons have a far reaching effect in our country. It is used by the sports authorities to draw people's interest to the game, increase viewership and inspire the youngsters to it. Cricket has been doing it regularly to captivate you cricket-crazy fans, don't you see how our under-19 players like Shaw and Gill were touted as future Indian openers even as they were finding their feet.

How do you think boxing became so popular in NE all of a sudden, back in our days hardly anyone played the sport. That changed once we had role models like Mary Kom, Devendro Laishram and Shiva Thapa, someone the young kids could look up to.

Notwithstanding her achievements till now or in future years, Hima Das and Dutee Chand would most certainly do a great job of inspiring scores of young girls and boys to take up sports as a career option in Assam and the rest of India. Believe it or not, sports has played a big role in mainstreaming of the NE.

Brother, i am not going to discuss her sporting achievements with you as those are self explanatory should you choose to analyse them objectively instead of relying on a self-defeating news article.

Celebrating the accomplishments of noted sportspersons have a far reaching effect in our country. It is used by the sports authorities to draw people's interest to the game, increase viewership and inspire the youngsters to it. Cricket has been doing it regularly to captivate you cricket-crazy fans, don't you see how our under-19 players like Shaw and Gill were touted as future Indian openers even as they were finding their feet.

How do you think boxing became so popular in NE all of a sudden, back in our days hardly anyone played the sport. That changed once we had role models like Mary Kom, Devendro Laishram and Shiva Thapa, someone the young kids could look up to.

Notwithstanding her achievements till now or in future years, Hima Das and Dutee Chand would most certainly do a great job of inspiring scores of young girls and boys to take up sports as a career option in Assam and the rest of India. Believe it or not, sports has played a big role in mainstreaming of the NE.

You pay this much attention to a 500 post, negative 13 rating poster random musing?...and let him speak for "rest of the country"? LOL.

The fact she is talk of the athletic scene in India (among a growing number of young stars) says it all. The results in the IAAF junior shooting meet recently also was very promising. Sporting institutions, pedigree and heritage all take time to grow and really expand sustainably...so doubtless the early stars have big role to play, no matter what their final medal tally is....it is all about the long term momentum and interest (esp away from cricket).

Nothing wrong with celebrating her achievements however the problem here is that we have other athletes who are being neglected for not winning medals only because they are competing against much better athletes than what Hima Das is competing against. So we are just celebrating medals and not good performances which sets bad example for upcoming athletes and in no way helps the athletics scene in the country. Only time will tell whether this will help boost her confidence or will she crumble under the pressure of expectations, but so far she seems satisfied with what she has achieved which is not a good sign. In contrast, we have athletes with better records this season, records which they set in national athletics meet this year. Maybe we should first start celebrating national gold medal winners?

IAAF junior shooting
ISSF bruh :P. True that we are now doing great in many sports. Asians traditionally do bad in athletics, can't really do much about it.

here is that we have other athletes who are being neglected for not winning medals only because they are competing against much better athletes than what Hima Das is competing
Athletes are neglected in India even after winning medals in world tournaments like we are doing in this thread now.

Last year back the sports ministry came out with a points criteria to select the Khel Ratna awardee, accordingly several names were shortlisted including celebrated wrestlers- Vinesh Phogat and Bajrang, boxer Vikas Krishan who was to retire from Amateur(last chance of winning the award) and some other successful sportspersons.

Government of India stumped all by declaring that it would be Virat Kohli who would receive the award. Why go through such an elaborate process only to backtrack later.

The OP has twisted the words of the author of that particular article. Nowhere was it mentioned that she is not talented enough or undeserving of the medals. Hima Das is not in a position to pick and choose events, she is there to perform to the best of her ability wherever she is asked to participate.
they are competing against much better athletes than what Hima Das is competing against. So we are just celebrating medals and not good performances which sets bad example for upcoming athletes and in no way helps the athletics scene in the country.
So tell me which other upcoming sprinter in India has shown this much promise in a long time. If you cared to look at the national records, there is only name besides our sprint-queen Dutee Chand, and that is of Hima Das.
but so far she seems satisfied with what she has achieved which is not a good sign.
Virat Kohli seems like a typically uncouth, foul mouthed and spoilt North Indian brat on the field of play, but outside of it he is a completely different person. Bottomline being, things are
not what they seem.

Athletes are neglected in India even after winning medals in world tournaments like we are doing in this thread now.
This is not neglecting. Neglecting is what other Indian athletes suffered who won medals in meets in which Hima Das participated. You need to re-read what I posted. I nowhere claimed she should be neglected because of quality of the events she is participating in. I only said other athletes should be encouraged as much. We have won around 40 Gold medals (not even counting silver/bronze) in various international athletic meets this month alone. Many of those gold medalists do much better than Hima Das comparatively in their own respective events. Few of them even have performances in top 10 in the world this season. But people don't know their names. Problem is not with Hima Das, but media.

Virat Kohli seems like a typically uncouth, foul mouthed and spoilt North Indian brat on the field of play, but outside of it he is a completely different person. Bottomline being, things are
not what they seem.
Nothing against North Eastern athletes if you are wondering. I support Indian athletes irrespective of region or religion. And have always defended them against racial attacks by Chinese and Pakistanis on this forum since years.

Last night Hima Das did claim she is just warming up which clears all the doubts. She is hungry and wants to do much better. And hopefully will bring more gold medals.:tup:

I think Hima Das should be nurtured properly. GoI should not remove focus from her development, if required I'd say provide the best world class training and set up to her. This girl has a huge potential to make our country proud.

Having said that, I kinda (not completely) agree with the OP. Although Asian Games was a big success, these events are not on par with the kind of competition I personally would like Hima to participate in and show the world what she got. I am actually eager doe her to clock the qualifying timing for world Championship. She has not even touched her personal best in these races, but still I would not want this media hype to stop... it's actually a blessing in disguise for all our upcoming athletes.

This is not neglecting. Neglecting is what other Indian athletes suffered who won medals in meets in which Hima Das participated. You need to re-read what I posted.
Perhaps you need to re-read my post too, athletes from other sports are neglected to a large extent irrespective of whether they they win medals or not by the government(states and center when it comes to distribution of promised sum for eg) and their sports federations, when compared to these pampered cricketers.
We have won around 40 Gold medals (not even counting silver/bronze) in various international athletic meets this month alone. Many of those gold medalists do much better than Hima Das comparatively in their own respective events.
I would like you to kindly tell this forum which other young sprinter is currently doing better than Hima Das in her niche events in the last two years.

If you are talking about other sports, then the argument is even more ridiculous. Every young talent in Indian sports have been hyped up by the media- Manika Batra to Manu Bhaker to Vinesh Phogat, and even the experienced ones like Saina, Sindhu etc when they started..

You fail to understand that track and field has a higher share of medals in world events and it has historically been an area where India has performed poorly. So any bright prospects has to be encouraged more and taken care of..
Last night Hima Das did claim she is just warming up which clears all the doubts. She is hungry and wants to do much better. And hopefully will bring more gold medals.
This part i agree with, and frankly speaking it's a shame that it has come to this. It was common knowledge that she had taken some time off to prepare for her board exams and during her return in the Asian Athletic Championship she got injured. The plan was always to ease her into the program before things get hectic and she had no say in it. In light of the above, i referred to OP calling his criticism of Hima Das unwarranted.

Perhaps you need to re-read my post too, athletes from other sports are neglected to a large extent irrespective of whether they they win medals or not by the government(states and center when it comes to distribution of promised sum for eg) and their sports federations, when compared to these pampered cricketers.
We are not in conflict on this.
better athletes
So tell me which other upcoming sprinter
in their own respective events
which other young sprinter
Brother, athletics is much more than just sprint. I am sure you know. Sprint events are usually 100m, 200m and 400m. Both times I clearly stated athletes and you read sprinter. Second time I specifically stated other events.

These are the Athletes who are currently doing better than Hima Das, in the events they take part in, yet we don't hear much about them on social media.

Muhammed Anas Yahiya in 400m, Avinash Sable in 3000m Steeple Chase, Madari Pillyalil Jabir in 400m Hurdles, Dharun Ayyasamy in 400m Hurdles, Jinson Johnson in 1500m, Tejaswin Shankar in High Jump, Vipin Kasana in Javelin Throw, Shivpal Singh in Javelin Throw. There are lot more names, I can't go through each and every past event just to prove something. These athletes need recognition too that was my point.

I did not add names which are already known/celebrated a lot.

Back
Top Bottom