What's new

Arab-Americans

what is the importance of nationality? what is the difference between Arab, American, etc? there are some more important things than nationality about which we should talk.

The majority of Arabs in the US are Christian I believe.

Many are, yes. Also many are Shia Muslims. Then there are Chaldean Iraqi's, I'm sure they're classified as Arab Americans as well. It's a very diverse Arab community, in Michigan it's mostly Lebanese, Chaldean, Syrian and Palestinian.

what is the importance of nationality? what is the difference between Arab, American, etc? there are some more important things than nationality about which we should talk.

Ethnic group studies, it's nice to see accomplishements/status of ethnic groups. This thread provided much information. It makes no sense to do something based on 'Muslim americans', it should be based on ethnicity and not religion. For Muslims though, you are correct we have many important things to worry about overseas, but we have no influence on events there anyways.

For me there is no such thing as "Arab American", maybe "Arab Descent"... an "Arab Descent" American has the same rights as anyone here. We are all Americans!!! The United States is a country of IMMIGRANTS!!!! That is what makes us great!!!!

:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Why do you think there are gazillions of visa applications on our embassies on "OTHER" countries if we aren't!??! I have nothing against peoples "past nationality" here. @gambit and @Oldman1 sirs, may I have your inputs here!??!

There is a limit on how far should you take the significance of your origin: whatever-American.

The US is an immigrant country so when a person make known his/her origin, what is he/she saying about it ?

On the one hand, since the US is an immigrant country, a person's origin implies that the US minimizes that origin. How you make it in the US depends mostly on yourself. That does not mean there are no social barriers in the US that may adversely affect a particular origin, every ethnic group have its own bits of 'horror' stories of those social barriers. But what make the US different from other countries/societies is that those social barriers do not have as much legal support when compares to other countries/societies.

For example, how many countries in the world have automatic birthright citizenship ? Not very many. Citizenship endows a person with legal privileges and responsibilities that make that person the legal equal of fellow citizens. The current interpretation of the 14th Amendment in the US Constitution effectively erases a person's origin as far as the Constitution is concerned. Everything about the person's origin, especially significant items like race/ethnic and religion, are meaningless to the Constitution.

On the other hand, there is a danger in bringing up one's origin in that America could not have got the way she is today unless there are unique contributions from one race/ethnic group that does not exist in other race/ethnic groups. That dangerous implication/insinuation is real and is a constant threat of division in America. Division in the social, legal, and political spheres.

For example, so what if I am an Asian-American ? Is there something 'Asian-ness' about me that does not exist in 'Italian-ness' ? Are Asians more hard working than Italians ? More physically beautiful ? More intelligent ? More of everything ? As an Asian-American, my favorite food is pizza and it is American style pizza at that. I have been to Italy and know Italian style pizza. I just like American style pizza better.

My point is that there should be a limit on how much significance one should place on one's origin. As Americans, we should all focus on what we are as Americans in general and that when a person brings up his/her origin, it should be to emphasize how America frees the person from the many types of shackles that origin may have had upon that person should he/she remains in his/her country/society of origin.

I find it easy to say 'Be proud of where you came from'. Every country and society have things they are not proud of, in history and current status. When you claim association, this is not a buffet table of things you can chose to be proud/ashamed of. The whole table is yours and you have to eat everything. Am not saying you should not be proud of your origin, but I am saying that origin's significance should be in the your current context.

Like it or not, the fact that you are here -- in America -- begs the question: 'If where you came from is so great, then why are you in the US and is a citizen ?'

And like it or not, the fact that you are here -- in America -- and is a citizen means that where you came from is not so great after all.

What make the US a great country in every sense, from geography to social to political, is the fact that we are free to discard our origins if we wanted to. Does not matter if you are proud or ashamed of where you came from. Proud or ashamed is your deeply personal freedom of choice and is as private or as public if you want. Just like your past association, if you want to associate yourself with America, you have to eat the whole table, from institutionalized slavery to emancipation, from a bare continent to a country that went to the Moon, everything good and bad about America is yours.

You do not like this table ? Go back to where you -- or your parents -- came from.

The majority of Arabs in the US are Christian I believe.

Religion should not matter here. You have millions upon millions of Christian Arabs, Jewish Arabs (most living in Israel today) and millions upon millions of Atheist Arabs. None of those are any less Arab than the most observing Muslim Arab out there.

Great thread!

It's weird though. Even though I spent at least a decade here in the U.S. I'm still not 'American'. My only nationality is Jordanian (and that's definitely not a bad thing) but it makes obtaining a job here somewhat difficult.

It is not fairly easy to obtain US citizenship in your case? Also does Jordan allow dual citizenship? I don't bother googling in either Arabic or English right now to find out.

I want a shawarma

If i get to name a country iwill call it shawarma republic

:o::o::o:

You has offended ze Turkish Order of the Golden Doner Kebab :p:

How about a trio consisting of shawarma, kebab and falafel?

May I propose kabsa and mandi as well while we are at it?

Religion should not matter here. You have millions upon millions of Christian Arabs, Jewish Arabs (most living in Israel today) and millions upon millions of Atheist Arabs. None of those are any less Arab than the most observing Muslim Arab out there.

It is not fairly easy to obtain US citizenship in your case? Also does Jordan allow dual citizenship? I don't bother googling in either Arabic or English right now to find out.

It shouldn't matter but it does as to the majority of people in the US and Europe,"Arab" and "Muslim" are one and the same.

For me there is no such thing as "Arab American", maybe "Arab Descent"... an "Arab Descent" American has the same rights as anyone here. We are all Americans!!! The United States is a country of IMMIGRANTS!!!! That is what makes us great!!!!

:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Why do you think there are gazillions of visa applications on our embassies on "OTHER" countries if we aren't!??! I have nothing against peoples "past nationality" here. @gambit and @Oldman1 sirs, may I have your inputs here!??!

All Americans, with the exception of the 3 million or so Native Americans that remain (but even they were offspring of immigrants (we are all in a way) who ventured into North America from Siberia starting some 12.000 years ago) are sons and daughters of immigrants, mainly from Europe or Africa.

Being an American and an Arab-American or German-American are not contradictions. Nowadays most Americans (excluding the most recent wave of migrants) tend to be heavily mixed but even many of them identity with their paternal origin. I see nothing wrong with that. That's why you see, insert x and y ethnicity - American festivals etc. all across the US each year, even in the smallest of towns.

The diverse origins of Americans is exactly (at least if you ask me) one of the many strengths of the US. It's great that people from around the world have created a common identity. That's the strength of the "New World" (North America + Latin America).

Something that is unthinkable (at least for now) in the "Old World" (Europe + Asia + Africa).

There is a limit on how far should you take the significance of your origin: whatever-American.

The US is an immigrant country so when a person make known his/her origin, what is he/she saying about it ?

On the one hand, since the US is an immigrant country, a person's origin implies that the US minimizes that origin. How you make it in the US depends mostly on yourself. That does not mean there are no social barriers in the US that may adversely affect a particular origin, every ethnic group have its own bits of 'horror' stories of those social barriers. But what make the US different from other countries/societies is that those social barriers do not have as much legal support when compares to other countries/societies.

For example, how many countries in the world have automatic birthright citizenship ? Not very many. Citizenship endows a person with legal privileges and responsibilities that make that person the legal equal of fellow citizens. The current interpretation of the 14th Amendment in the US Constitution effectively erases a person's origin as far as the Constitution is concerned. Everything about the person's origin, especially significant items like race/ethnic and religion, are meaningless to the Constitution.

On the other hand, there is a danger in bringing up one's origin in that America could not have got the way she is today unless there are unique contributions from one race/ethnic group that does not exist in other race/ethnic groups. That dangerous implication/insinuation is real and is a constant threat of division in America. Division in the social, legal, and political spheres.

For example, so what if I am an Asian-American ? Is there something 'Asian-ness' about me that does not exist in 'Italian-ness' ? Are Asians more hard working than Italians ? More physically beautiful ? More intelligent ? More of everything ? As an Asian-American, my favorite food is pizza and it is American style pizza at that. I have been to Italy and know Italian style pizza. I just like American style pizza better.

My point is that there should be a limit on how much significance one should place on one's origin. As Americans, we should all focus on what we are as Americans in general and that when a person brings up his/her origin, it should be to emphasize how America frees the person from the many types of shackles that origin may have had upon that person should he/she remains in his/her country/society of origin.

I find it easy to say 'Be proud of where you came from'. Every country and society have things they are not proud of, in history and current status. When you claim association, this is not a buffet table of things you can chose to be proud/ashamed of. The whole table is yours and you have to eat everything. Am not saying you should not be proud of your origin, but I am saying that origin's significance should be in the your current context.

Like it or not, the fact that you are here -- in America -- begs the question: 'If where you came from is so great, then why are you in the US and is a citizen ?'

And like it or not, the fact that you are here -- in America -- and is a citizen means that where you came from is not so great after all.

What make the US a great country in every sense, from geography to social to political, is the fact that we are free to discard our origins if we wanted to. Does not matter if you are proud or ashamed of where you came from. Proud or ashamed is your deeply personal freedom of choice and is as private or as public if you want. Just like your past association, if you want to associate yourself with America, you have to eat the whole table, from institutionalized slavery to emancipation, from a bare continent to a country that went to the Moon, everything good and bad about America is yours.

You do not like this table ? Go back to where you -- or your parents -- came from.

I don't disagree with you. One of the reasons why I created this thread (apart from the reasons I gave in this thread earlier) is due to this below:

It shouldn't matter but it does as to the majority of people in the US and Europe,"Arab" and "Muslim" are one and the same.

Hence (in part) also why this thread below was created:

Arab world and Latin America cooperation thread

To highlight the highly successful but for many completely unknown 30-40 million big Arab diaspora in Latin America. From Mexico in the North to Argentina in the South.

Yeah, both Jordan and U.S. Allow double citizenship (so does Canada for that matter). Obtaining U.S. citizenship would take about 15 years AFTER graduating from university (which I'm still in as of now). First I find a full time job and get a work visa, then wait five years and get a permenent residency, then wait five years and get citizenship. To be honest, if I decide to live in North America long term, my preferred choice would be Canada. Sorry America :D

Which is IMO why threads such as those are necessary. Not only that but also that 99% of all Muslim Arab-Americans are well-functioning and well-integrated Americans. Many of whom having contributed greatly to the US in all fields. Nowadays, at least in many parts of the media, which to a great extend is always looking for controversy and sensationalism, including this one, the talk about the 1.7 billion Muslims and 450 million or so Arabs is mostly negative. There is more to Muslims and Arabs than all those negative headlines that a microscopic (in the wider picture) of people in those two groups are responsible for.

Arab-Americans, whether they are Christian, Muslims, Jewish or Atheists are a good example of that.

Which is IMO why threads such as those are necessary. Not only that but also that 99% of all Muslim Arab-Americans are well-functioning and well-integrated Americans. Many of whom having contributed greatly to the US in all fields. Nowadays, at least in many parts of the media, which to a great extend is always looking for controversy and sensationalism, including this one, the talk about the 1.7 billion Muslims and 450 million or so Arabs is mostly negative. There is more to Muslims and Arabs than all those negative headlines that a microscopic (in the wider picture) of people in those two groups are responsible for.

Arab-Americans, whether they are Christian, Muslims, Jewish or Atheists are a good example of that.
Well said, man.

Yeah, both Jordan and U.S. Allow double citizenship (so does Canada for that matter). Obtaining U.S. citizenship would take about 15 years AFTER graduating from university (which I'm still in as of now). First I find a full time job and get a work visa, then wait five years and get a permenent residency, then wait five years and get citizenship. To be honest, if I decide to live in North America long term, my preferred choice would be Canada. Sorry America :D

U.S. Citizenship | USCIS

Apply for Citizenship | USCIS

Citizenship in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA > Canada ( aka frozen tundra:D ). Only the French speaking part is worthy of a visit I imagine but same shitty weather.

If you want to settle "permanently" abroad I would suggest you to settle somewhere in Western Europe rather than Canada if you have excluded the US. Much closer to Jordan as well. You would have to learn a third language if you don't want to settle on the British Isles.

Or better just stay in the US. Texas can't be that bad.

I have very fond memories of my time as a young student in California. This makes me sound very old (I am not) but I could easily settle down in the US permanently sometime in the future.

Say what you want about US foreign policy, the ills of the US (no country is perfect and never will be), Americans etc. but I consider the US as a great country. Just the nature alone is worthy of an extended stay.

Back
Top Bottom