What's new

'Any threat to Saudi Arabia will evoke strong response from Pakistan'

When Iranian Mullahs are consistently adopting anti-Pakistan stances and share Indian & National Alliance views in Afghaniatan & the region, why should Pakistan be concerned with Iranian sentiments? Just few months ago, India, Afghanistan & Iran were near simultaneously shelling their borders with Pakistan.

Saudia Arabia has always been a reliable & lifesaving ally and resuscitated Pakistan on numerous occasions.

It's sad to see some Pakistanis approaching this issue from narrow sectarian lenses and acting like Iran's ambassadors. Pakistan should stand with Saudi Arabia & the GCC. It's what friends do.

Any concrete numbers? with source perhaps? Best i found out is that the presence is modest and iirc brigade is ~5000men....ie not modest.

At the height of the "engagement" .. PA had deployed a division (around 40,000+) men in KSA.. Right now there is a brigade mostly in trainer,expert or instructor type role.. Augmented by SSG ..
Proof ., hardly.. Except pics of PA troops training Saudis or Max a few sources talking about PA establishing military schools there...

When Iranian Mullahs are consistently adopting anti-Pakistan stances and share Indian & National Alliance views in Afghaniatan & the region, why should Pakistan be concerned with Iranian sentiments? Just few months ago, India, Afghanistan & Iran were near simultaneously shelling their borders with Pakistan.

Saudia Arabia has always been a reliable & lifesaving ally and resuscitated Pakistan on numerous occasions.

It's sad to see some Pakistanis approaching this issue from narrow sectarian lenses and acting like Iran's ambassadors. Pakistan should stand with Saudi Arabia & the GCC. It's what friends do.

Because we don't want to deal with another enemy and it's proxies ... Pak - Iran relations haven't been awesome like the past .. But they been "stable"...

Also we don't want to be dragged into another useless secto-politico war in countries like Yemen or Syria .. We are already fighting our own .. With 150K troops in our northern border .. We are aready are short of manpower ..

Army to increase intake of cadets at PMA - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Saudis and GCC are our friends.. (We helped them establish their military).. We will protect Saudi soil from any agression., but will Saudi fight or cut its ties with our enemy india? Will it raise the Kashmit cause forcefully at UN or even OIC?

At the height of the "engagement" .. PA had deployed a division (around 40,000+) men in KSA.. Right now there is a brigade mostly in trainer,expert or instructor type role.. Augmented by SSG ..
Proof ., hardly.. Except pics of PA troops training Saudis or Max a few sources talking about PA establishing military schools there...

I meant now, not during Desert Storm. Anyhow, thanks for answer.

#edit: iirc i have read recently the strength of the contingent was upgraded? Any more info perhaps?

Last edited:

Because we don't want to deal with another enemy and it's proxies ... Pak - Iran relations haven't been awesome like the past .. But they been "stable"...

Also we don't want to be dragged into another useless secto-politico war in countries like Yemen or Syria .. We are already fighting our own .. With 150K troops in our northern border .. We are aready are short of manpower ..

Pakistan doesn't need to have boots on the ground. I think it can contribute on other areas, & I think the people in GHQ will take the sensible decision & do the right thing.

Besides, Pakistanis should come off their defeatist shells. Iran is not some super power that can hurt Pakistan in any serious way.

PA SSG Along with french GIGN took part to end siege of grand mosque in Mecca after Saudi forces failed to dislodge attackers.

PA took part in gulf war 1 to provide security to KSA, an AD battalion was deployed.
http://cpakgulf.org/documents/Pak-Gulf-Security-Ties-final.pdf

Pakistani military also took part in the previous Saudi Yemen war,
Against PLO.
In Kuwait against Iraqis.
Etc etc

Pakistan doesn't need to have boots on the ground. I think it can contribute on other areas, & I think the people in GHQ will take the sensible decision & do the right thing.
We can offer training and equipment ... But not troops to invade Yemen or Syria ..
As I said Pak will protect the Saudi soil but we will not fight a useless secterian Political war in another country for them.

Besides, Pakistanis should come off their defeatist shells. Iran is not some super power that can hurt Pakistan in any serious way.

It's not a defeatist shell.. But why would Pak make more enemies in their neighbourhood when we already have enough? We would we jeopardise ourself for others ? Iran is our immediate neighbour .. It would be foolish to create more enemies .. We already have India and Afghanistan to deal with.

Also we don't want a secterian civil war .. Pakistan also has the largest Shia population after Iran ... We also have Daesh (in Afghanistan) and local secterian terrorists to deal with...

I meant now, not during Desert Storm. Anyhow, thanks for answer.

#edit: iirc i have read recently the strength of the contingent was upgraded? Any more info perhaps?

Right now we have a brigades deployed in KSA.

Troops already in Saudi Arabia, says minister - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
(Old news - when the Saudis had named Pak participation in Yemen).

To protect the "holy sites" .. But not for Yemen or Syria.

After that 1000 troops were sent for joint exercises... Not sure about any further deployment or reinforcement..

How solid is Nawaz Sharif's position?

Let me explain...i couldn't have helped to notice the Saudi FM went to see Pakistani PM, but Saudi defence minister, who is next king and is said to be the architect of Saudi expansion talked to the Chief of armed forces. Unless i missed the news where he talks to Sharif.

So....either Sharif told the FM to **** off and now this future king is coming to seek support from the army directly or Sharif told him he can't approve anything without the army and now the architect will meet with the general?

How solid is Nawaz Sharif's position?

Let me explain...i couldn't have helped to notice the Saudi FM went to see Pakistani PM, but Saudi defence minister, who is next king and is said to be the architect of Saudi expansion talked to the Chief of armed forces. Unless i missed the news where he talks to Sharif.

So....either Sharif told the FM to **** off and now this future king is coming to seek support from the army directly or Sharif told him he can't approve anything without the army?

Nawaz shot himself in the foot.. Thanks to his own stupidity... The security policy is pretty much with the GHQ.
The Parliament has already ruled our any deployment of troops in Yemen or syrid called for peaceful negotiations between Iran & KSA... Terming the escalation dangerous for the region ..

Neither Iran, Nor KSA are super powers that they can hurt State of Pakistan if Pakistan decides to side with any of them to secure her interests. It's people of Pakistan who can hurt the state most and bring it down because of their loyalties to others, hence Pakistan as state has no option other than hiding under bed.

Nawaz shot himself in the foot.. Thanks to his own stupidity... The security policy is pretty much with the GHQ.
The Parliament has already ruled our any deployment of troops in Yemen or syrid called for peaceful negotiations between Iran & KSA... Terming the escalation dangerous for the region ..

And the nation should be thankful that he did.

Coup chances? Payback to Sharif for being reluctant in giving support by Saudis?
I also read in the last few days, admittedly, a single post where someone said with no links, that general's power is in danger from Sharif?

What's with Sharif's debt to KSA? As far as i understand they gave him a second life, money and with it he reclaimed his first life. Is that being mentioned in any way? It is leverage of the utmost quality, that's why i ask.

Pakistan calls for peaceful resolution to S. Arabia, Iran tensions - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
Coup chances? Payback to Sharif for being reluctant in giving support by Saudis?
I also read in the last few days, admittedly, a single post where someone said with no links, that general's power is in danger from Sharif?
There are no chances of any coup.. Army doesn't want to come .. Coup happen due to politicians themselves (who invite military takeovers)... Any chances or hopes of such folks were dashed during the parliament "seige" by protestors .. When Nawaz himself asked the army to intervene and negotiate and later put the blame on military in the parliament .., so nope .. It's been almost a decade and no coup has happened nor will.

What's with Sharif's debt to KSA? As far as i understand they gave him a second life, money and with it he reclaimed his first life. Is that being mentioned in any way? It is leverage of the utmost quality, that's why i ask.

That's his personal relation with Saudis (he is also a top investor in KSA - a billionaire)... But powerless infront of the parliament (his opposite will screw him) and the military that doesn't want to be dragged in Saudi Irani shit;

Pakistan calls for peaceful resolution to S. Arabia, Iran tensions - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

There are no chances of any coup.. Army doesn't want to come .. Coup happen due to politicians themselves (who invite military takeovers)... Any chances or hopes of such folks were dashed during the parliament "seige" by protestors .. When Nawaz himself asked the army to intervene and negotiate and later put the blame on military in the parliament .., so nope .. It's been almost a decade and no coup has happened nor will.

Okay, i see, thanks.
Though for the record, your last sentence "putting blame on army" is a reason why some general would want to get rid of someone. In my personal opinion, if other conditions permit ofcourse.

I'm merely speculating ofcourse, but here the coup initiative would come from Saudi's which would play on general's feeling of threat from Sharif which i mentioned earlier. All, nicely baked with candy ala MastanKhan's suggestions in this or another thread.

That's his personal relation with Saudis (he is also a top investor in KSA - a billionaire)... But powerless infront of the parliament (his opposite will screw him) and the military that doesn't want to be dragged in Saudi Irani shit;

Sharif's party does not have decision making majority? He has minority government? I know you said army decides on security issues, but just asking...

-----------------------------------------------

What are the chances Pakistan reneges on it's guarantees to Saudis? In regards to territorial integrity, not holy cities.

True. However KSA, UAE, Kuwait and Qatar made some diplomatic errors in their dealings with Pakistan in last few years. Errors of judgement I would say probably because of younger generation making into decision making positions. Instead of partner they dealt with us more like client state. Older generation was wiser and cool headed. They also supported the wrong horse in our domestic politics. Pakistan's recent stance is more a show of its independence than anything else. More like "what goes around comes around" reminder. Subtle but far reaching way of asserting Pakistan's position as an independent sovereign nation.

If the Saudis were not bombing Yemen relentlessly then the Houthis would not respond.
You are mistaken, nobody cares who is wrong or right. The fact is Saudi is our Ally not houthis and our national interest lies by siding with Saudis not houthis.
Same goes for Iran,I am a sunni and if Iran can not screw with Pakistan over Chabahar, they can kill all the Sunnis they want in Iran, Syria and Iraq, Pakistan shouldn't say a word.
So its not about ideology it should be strictly business. Why should we care if houthis getting screwed?

The best solution to the current stand off is through an arbitrator, none of the countries (S.A or Iran) is in a position. Infact any cold war style stand off is and will hurt this region and blood shed will continue. The problem is the region is becoming more vulnerable to radical sectarianism. Big muslim powers like Turkey and Pakistan ought to play the role of an arbitrator and help to cool down the situation if not the then the future doesn't look very bright.

It's clear that Iran neither respects us as a possible arbitrator or as a sovereign country given the way they've recruited Pakistani Shi'ites into their own army and sent them off to die in Syria. We definitely need to be firmer in the way we act. Stop this "end divisions among the Ummah" and neutrality BS and start helping out Saudi Arabia which has come to our aid in times of crisis numerous times.

Back
Top Bottom