What's new

Another Indian Export Success - BEL Systems For Myanmar's Frigate Programme

Ankit_Pujari

New Recruit

Reaction score
India's BEL signs sensor deal with Myanmar Navy
India's state-owned Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has secured a contract to supply a number of shipborne sensors to Myanmar, IHS Jane's understands.

A contract was signed in mid-January for the delivery of three sets of RAWL-02 Mk III L-band 2D search radars, which are licence-built versions of the Thales LW-08 radar, commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) navigation radars, and a hull-mounted sonar system. The latter is likely to be the HUMSA system. These are to be fitted to frigates under construction in Myanmar.

Myanmar has a frigate construction programme under way at its naval dockyard in Yangon. The first of the 106 m-long frigates, UMS Aung Zeya (pennant number F11), is fitted with what appears to be an older variant of the RAWL. A second hull, with a stealthy superstructure, was launched in September 2012 as UMS Kyan-Sit-Thar (F12). The ship is undergoing outfitting, with completion slated for early 2014.

A third frigate is under construction at Sinmailik Naval Dockyard, Rangoon, according to Burmese sources. Its keel-laying ceremony took place on 5 September 2010, and hull framing was largely complete by February 2012. The BEL deal could mean a fourth frigate is on the way, and reports indicate eight frigates are planned.
someone please try locating the full Jane's article

Myanmar+_Navy_stealth_frigate_2.png

F11 frigate Aung Zeya
weapons
76mm Oto Melara Super Rapid Gun,
barrel 30mm CIWS 4x6 AK630,
anti-submarine launchers topedo 324mm YU-7
anti-ship missile C-602 2x2.

Myanmar+_Navy_stealth_frigate_.jpg

Burmese Navy Stealth Frigate F12 Kyansittha

I never knew India is supplying to Burmese Army. Perhaps that is why despite Suu Kyi's repeated attempts, Indian Government has never criticized Myanmar Junta

I never knew India is supplying to Burmese Army. Perhaps that is why despite Suu Kyi's repeated attempts, Indian Government has never criticized Myanmar Junta

Myanmar is known for its hard stand on Indian separatist operating in Myanmar. Thats why we have such good relations to them.

It's our liability to arm Myanmar to the teeth, to protect itself and our interests from the wannabe Chinese dalals in this region. :D

@arp2041

The term 'war' with wannabe Chinese dalals would be an insult for us, better say it as 'fiddling around'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damn bro. There is so much you and others don;t know. Not putting you down, but making you realize. Our neighborhodd is f-ked up. There is so much work to be done, but our govt is slow like a snail. That's why I complain about corruption and govt.

HUMSA is a mature and capable sonar system.

We should also sell the P-25 Khukri corvettes with P-25A's weapon system to Myanmar Navy after
retiring from Indian Navy.

Back
Top Bottom