What's new

Anger as Internet hate-mongers spew venom against Kashmir

No body owns the land in my country. Its not some thing that can be bought & sold in a grocery shop. It is shared by every one irrespective of caste,creed or religion. Any one who wants to appropriate it is only being small minded and disrespecting the fellow humans who live there.
Per the UN the 'land of J&K' is in fact not in 'your country' - it is disputed territory and the UN, India and Pakistan agreed to implement the UNSC Resolutions to resolve that disputed status via plebiscite which essentially assigns the land to the residents of J&K and makes it their decision and choice to 'take it to whichever country they want'.

That is your interpretation. Has UN clarified it anywhere else that it wasn't unconditional? And if it was indeed as you say, still India is not breaking any resolutions that it agreed to. India wasn't bound to accept any of the panel's proposals going against its interest and those proposals aren't valid until India agrees to it. If pak agreed to it, it should have implemented them irrespective of whether india did or not.
I explained (and highlighted the relevant language in the text of the UNSC Resolutions) in my posts in the thread I linked to earlier.

Per the UN the 'land of J&K' is in fact not in 'your country' - it is disputed territory and the UN, India and Pakistan agreed to implement the UNSC Resolutions to resolve that disputed status via plebiscite which essentially assigns the land to the residents of J&K and makes it their decision and choice to 'take it to whichever country they want'.

I explained (and highlighted the relevant language in the text of the UNSC Resolutions) in my posts in the thread I linked to earlier.

Pardon my ignorance but can is there any official UN document or page which lists J&K as disputed territory ? If yes, then where can I find it ?

Pardon my ignorance but can is there any official UN document or page which lists J&K as disputed territory ? If yes, then where can I find it ?
Look at the language of the UNSC Resolutions that India and Pakistan committed to implement - specifically the part that states. If the UN did not consider J&K disputed territory, why would it talk about a plebiscite to determine the question of accession of J&K to India or Pakistan?

"... Noting with satisfaction that both India and Pakistan desire that the question of the accession of Jammu and Kashmir to India or Pakistan should be decided through the democratic method of a free and impartial plebiscite ..."

"... and to create proper conditions for a free and impartial plebiscite to decide whether the State of Jammu and Kashmir is to accede to India or Pakistan."

Look at the language of the UNSC Resolutions that India and Pakistan committed to implement - specifically the part that states. If the UN did not consider J&K disputed territory, why would it talk about a plebiscite to determine the question of accession of J&K to India or Pakistan?

"... Noting with satisfaction that both India and Pakistan desire that the question of the accession of Jammu and Kashmir to India or Pakistan should be decided through the democratic method of a free and impartial plebiscite ..."

"... and to create proper conditions for a free and impartial plebiscite to decide whether the State of Jammu and Kashmir is to accede to India or Pakistan."

Hmm... but it doesn't call J&K a disputed territory. Besides, I don't think there is any official UN document that lists out UN declared territorial disputes in the world.

These guidelines were given by the UN in a non-binding resolution because India approached the UN for providing a solution to this problem. India involved UN here, not that UN got involved itself calling a UN recognised territorial dispute/

I truly believe that it is a bilateral dispute between India and Pak at best and not a UN declared/recognised territorial dispute.

Back
Top Bottom