What's new

An Iranian nuclear facility is so deep underground that US airstrikes likely couldn’t reach it

An Iranian nuclear facility is so deep underground that US airstrikes likely couldn’t reach it
By JON GAMBRELL May 22, 2023 GMT
https://apnews.com/article/iran-nuclear-natanz-uranium-enrichment-underground-project-04dae673fc937af04e62b65dd78db2e0

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Near a peak of the Zagros Mountains in central Iran, workers are building a nuclear facility so deep in the earth that it is likely beyond the range of a last-ditch U.S. weapon designed to destroy such sites, according to experts and satellite imagery analyzed by The Associated Press.

The photos and videos from Planet Labs PBC show Iran has been digging tunnels in the mountain near the Natanz nuclear site, which has come under repeated sabotage attacks amid Tehran’s standoff with the West over its atomic program.

With Iran now producing uranium close to weapons-grade levels after the collapse of its nuclear deal with world powers, the installation complicates the West’s efforts to halt Tehran from potentially developing an atomic bomb as diplomacy over its nuclear program remains stalled.

Completion of such a facility “would be a nightmare scenario that risks igniting a new escalatory spiral,” warned Kelsey Davenport, the director of nonproliferation policy at the Washington-based Arms Control Association. “Given how close Iran is to a bomb, it has very little room to ratchet up its program without tripping U.S. and Israeli red lines. So at this point, any further escalation increases the risk of conflict.”

The construction at the Natanz site comes five years after then-President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew America from the nuclear accord. Trump argued the deal did not address Tehran’s ballistic missile program, nor its support of militias across the wider Middle East.

But what it did do was strictly limit Iran’s enrichment of uranium to 3.67% purity, powerful enough only to power civilian power stations, and keep its stockpile to just some 300 kilograms (660 pounds).

Since the demise of the nuclear accord, Iran has said it is enriching uranium up to 60%, though inspectors recently discovered the country had produced uranium particles that were 83.7% pure. That is just a short step from reaching the 90% threshold of weapons-grade uranium.

As of February, international inspectors estimated Iran’s stockpile was over 10 times what it was under the Obama-era deal, with enough enriched uranium to allow Tehran to make “several” nuclear bombs, according to the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

President Joe Biden and Israel’s prime minister have said they won’t allow Iran to build a nuclear weapon. “We believe diplomacy is the best way to achieve that goal, but the president has also been clear that we have not removed any option from the table,” the White House said in a statement to the AP.

The Islamic Republic denies it is seeking nuclear weapons, though officials in Tehran now openly discuss their ability to pursue one.

Iran’s mission to the United Nations, in response to questions from the AP regarding the construction, said that “Iran’s peaceful nuclear activities are transparent and under the International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards.” However, Iran has been limiting access for international inspectors for years.

Iran says the new construction will replace an above-ground centrifuge manufacturing center at Natanz struck by an explosion and fire in July 2020. Tehran blamed the incident on Israel, long suspected of running sabotage campaigns against its program.
https://defence.pk/video/iran-gover...press-israel-986492a548964754805b3ac439776698
Tehran has not acknowledged any other plans for the facility, though it would have to declare the site to the IAEA if they planned to introduce uranium into it. The Vienna-based IAEA did not respond to questions about the new underground facility.

The new project is being constructed next to Natanz, about 225 kilometers (140 miles) south of Tehran. Natanz has been a point of international concern since its existence became known two decades ago.

Protected by anti-aircraft batteries, fencing and Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, the facility sprawls across 2.7 square kilometers (1 square mile) in the country’s arid Central Plateau.

Satellite photos taken in April by Planet Labs PBC and analyzed by the AP show Iran burrowing into the Kūh-e Kolang Gaz Lā, or “Pickaxe Mountain,” which is just beyond Natanz’s southern fencing.

A different set of images analyzed by the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies reveals that four entrances have been dug into the mountainside, two to the east and another two to the west. Each is 6 meters (20 feet) wide and 8 meters (26 feet) tall.

The scale of the work can be measured in large dirt mounds, two to the west and one to the east. Based on the size of the spoil piles and other satellite data, experts at the center told AP that Iran is likely building a facility at a depth of between 80 meters (260 feet) and 100 meters (328 feet). The center’s analysis, which it provided exclusively to AP, is the first to estimate the tunnel system’s depth based on satellite imagery.

The Institute for Science and International Security, a Washington-based nonprofit long focused on Iran’s nuclear program, suggested last year the tunnels could go even deeper.

Experts say the size of the construction project indicates Iran likely would be able to use the underground facility to enrich uranium as well — not just to build centrifuges. Those tube-shaped centrifuges, arranged in large cascades of dozens of machines, rapidly spin uranium gas to enrich it. Additional cascades spinning would allow Iran to quickly enrich uranium under the mountain’s protection.

“So the depth of the facility is a concern because it would be much harder for us. It would be much harder to destroy using conventional weapons, such as like a typical bunker buster bomb,” said Steven De La Fuente, a research associate at the center who led the analysis of the tunnel work.

The new Natanz facility is likely to be even deeper underground than Iran’s Fordo facility, another enrichment site that was exposed in 2009 by U.S. and other world leaders. That facility sparked fears in the West that Iran was hardening its program from airstrikes.

Such underground facilities led the U.S. to create the GBU-57 bomb, which can plow through at least 60 meters (200 feet) of earth before detonating, according to the American military. U.S. officials reportedly have discussed using two such bombs in succession to ensure a site is destroyed. It is not clear that such a one-two punch would damage a facility as deep as the one at Natanz.

With such bombs potentially off the table, the U.S. and its allies are left with fewer options to target the site. If diplomacy fails, sabotage attacks may resume.

Already, Natanz has been targeted by the Stuxnet virus, believed to be an Israeli and American creation, which destroyed Iranian centrifuges. Israel also is believed to have killed scientists involved in the program, struck facilities with bomb-carrying drones and launched other attacks. Israel’s government declined to comment.

Experts say such disruptive actions may push Tehran even closer to the bomb — and put its program even deeper into the mountain where airstrikes, further sabotage and spies may not be able to reach it.

“Sabotage may roll back Iran’s nuclear program in the short-term, but it is not a viable, long-term strategy for guarding against a nuclear-armed Iran,” said Davenport, the nonproliferation expert. “Driving Iran’s nuclear program further underground increases the proliferation risk.”

Lol
Rape of birds
article_5e5b82dfd31ba1_18811638.jpg

To have nuclear weapons you must have firstly the know how, and secondly either you have the approbal of nuclear club to have it, or you are willing to take the risks of war/sanctions to have it. The case of North Korea and Iran are special,because these countries dares to have an independent policy.

In the case of KSA, Algeria, Egypt, i don t know if they have or not the know how, but surely they have not the approbal of the US neither the willing to go against this kind of approbal. Egypt with strong leadership maybe can have on the future, but i see impossible now.

So if Iran test nuclear weapons (a solely iranian decision now), it s naive to assume these countries would and can have it.
Algeria has been at it quietly for a long time.

Things are rarely black of white, mostly it is a grey area.

The KSA hasn't been sleeping all these years. It is foolish to underestimate Egypt.

If the USA had such control, Pakistan would never have had a nuclear or even a missile program.

To have nuclear weapons you must have firstly the know how, and secondly either you have the approbal of nuclear club to have it, or you are willing to take the risks of war/sanctions to have it. The case of North Korea and Iran are special,because these countries dares to have an independent policy.

In the case of KSA, Algeria, Egypt, i don t know if they have or not the know how, but surely they have not the approbal of the US neither the willing to go against this kind of approbal. Egypt with strong leadership maybe can have on the future, but i see impossible now.

So if Iran test nuclear weapons (a solely iranian decision now), it s naive to assume these countries would and can have it.
Pakistan gave centrifuges to Iran. Where was the American pressure about that?

States are not individuals. States do what states can do to safrguard their safety.

Algeria has been at it quietly for a long time.

Things are rarely black of white, mostly it is a grey area.

The KSA hasn't been sleeping all these years. It is foolish to underestimate Egypt.

If the USA had such control, Pakistan would never have had a nuclear or even a missile program.

Pakistan gave centrifuges to Iran. Where was the American pressure about that?

States are not individuals. States do what states can do to safrguard their safety.

I do not understimate any one in this world... but there is a law of probabilities based on historic decisions that leads to me to think in any way or other.

To think Algeria, KSA or Egypt today would dare to conduct a policy not approbed by the US... to me the chances of that are very low. There is not political willing to do that, not the same way NK or Iran does.

For some reason, US does not care about Pakistan nuclear weapons... they think this is a controllable situation.

The point to me, is should Iran have nuclear weapons ( i do think they have something, not proofs, just my vision and logic of things) it DOES NOT mean Arab countries or Turkiyeh would have nuclear weapons. This equivalence is false, and flawed.

And even if this is true... who cares? Iran certainly not.

pk.GIF

no.GIF

Hey I didn't feel the need to abandon my country for a better life...

That is because your country is responsible for a regime change in Pakistan. The US is responsible for meddling in Pakistani politics.

I do not understimate any one in this world... but there is a law of probabilities based on historic decisions that leads to me to think in any way or other.

To think Algeria, KSA or Egypt today would dare to conduct a policy not approbed by the US... to me the chances of that are very low. There is not political willing to do that, not the same way NK or Iran does.

For some reason, US does not care about Pakistan nuclear weapons... they think this is a controllable situation.

The point to me, is should Iran have nuclear weapons ( i do think they have something, not proofs, just my vision and logic of things) it DOES NOT mean Arab countries or Turkiyeh would have nuclear weapons. This equivalence is false, and flawed.

Wrong. The US and the entire Western world is actually obsessed with Pakistani nuclear capability. The West has dubbed the Pakistani nuke as an Islamic bomb. This is a well documented fact. Pakistani nukes are even filmed in Hollywood movies. Of course Pakistani nukes are always a discussion in US politics and media.

Yes. Every country should have the freedom to have nukes. That includes Iran.

Last edited:
That is because your country is responsible for a regime change in Pakistan. The US is responsible for meddling in Pakistani politics.

Wrong. The US and the entire Western world is actually obsessed with Pakistani nuclear capability. The West has dubbed the Pakistani nuke as an Islamic bomb. This is a well documented fact. Pakistani nukes are even filmed in Hollywood movies. Of course Pakistani nukes are always a discussion in US politics and media.

Yes. Every country should have the freedom to have nukes. That includes Iran.

I m from the west, they are not obsessed with pakistani nuclear weapons, sorry to say this to you. West considers Pakistan would use that (as a remote possibility) in India, not in any other country. US does not worry for sure, US does films of whatever,it does not mean they have importance.

Yes i agree with you any country must have nuclear weapons, i think maybe there can be peace on the world with this. No one knows, but there is not peace today... anyway.

I m from the west, they are not obsessed with pakistani nuclear weapons, sorry to say this to you. West considers Pakistan would use that (as a remote possibility) in India, not in any other country. US does not worry for sure, US does films of whatever,it does not mean they have importance.

Yes i agree with you any country must have nuclear weapons, i think maybe there can be peace on the world with this. No one knows, but there is not peace today... anyway.

Your leaders claim that Pakistan is the most dangerous country in the world. This isn't a slip of tongue. Recently Biden made a similar statement with regards to Pakistan. US and Western leaders have always labelled Pakistan dangerous and important for their interests.

pk.GIF

no.GIF
:coffee:

Hey at least I didn't feel the need to abandon my country for a better life...
You did yankee. You are not native American. Your parents or grandparents or whoever migrated from your country of origin.

You live in the US. Which is a artificial country with no real culture.

Anyways what are you doing on a Pakistani forum?

You did yankee. You are not native American. Your parents or grandparents or whoever migrated from your country of origin.

You live in the US. Which is a artificial country with no real culture.

Anyways what are you doing on a Pakistani forum?

Oh suddenly getting triggered eh?

Like to dish it out...but can't take it. Typical response!!

I shouldn't expect less from somebody who quits their country. You should be damn proud of yourself sitting there at your computer in Norway...posting pics of other people supposedly at their desk in their country. Good going!!

Last edited:

If anyone will go nuclear in Africa first, it will be Algeria. Not that they will immediately follow Iran, but once Iran goes nuclear the Arabs will catch up at all costs no matter what. The Egyptians already sit on stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons despite objections from the West. If the latest "intelligence leak" is to be believed then the Egyptians were making missiles for Russia to use against NATO. Not sure how all that Western pressure didn't prevent Egypt from working for and with Russia. Afterall Russia is building nuclear plants for Egypt.

KSA will immediately follow Iran and test a nuclear device.

Algeria isn't beholden do American pressure. Heck they can withstand USA pressure a lot more than Pakistan can.

The Iranians have made many mistakes but trying to stir up support for itself among Arab populations hasn't gone unnoticed or sat well with the main Arab countries.

The current Iranian-Afghan issue is just a beginning. If it intensifies to any level comparable to the Houthis attacks on Saudis, Iran will have some serious problems. The Iranians crossed a big red line by attacking Saudi oil facilities using Yemenis. They should expect the unexpected.

That is because your country is responsible for a regime change in Pakistan.

I keep forgetting we have the Infinity Gauntlet and with the snap of a finger the whole world goes into a zombie mode and blindly does what we say.

Last edited:
If anyone will go nuclear in Africa first, it will be Algeria. Not that they will immediately follow Iran, but once Iran goes nuclear the Arabs will catch up at all costs no matter what. The Egyptians already sit on stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons despite objections from the West. If the latest "intelligence leak" is to be believed then the Egyptians were making missiles for Russia to use against NATO. Not sure how all that Western pressure didn't prevent Egypt from working for and with Russia. Afterall Russia is building nuclear plants for Egypt.

KSA will immediately follow Iran and test a nuclear device.

Algeria isn't beholden do American pressure. Heck they can withstand USA pressure a lot more than Pakistan can.

The Iranians have made many mistakes but trying to stir up support for itself among Arab populations hasn't gone unnoticed or sat well with the main Arab countries.

The current Iranian-Afghan issue is just a beginning. If it intensifies to any level comparable to the Houthis attacks on Saudis, Iran will have some serious problems. The Iranians crossed a big red line by attacking Saudi oil facilities using Yemenis. They should expect the unexpected.

Saudi is not increasing hostilities with Iran, now they are in some kind of reverse procees to improve ties, KSA is not stupid they know Iran is not gonna be attacked by Israel, Israel has lost a LOT of deterrence against Iran, KSA wouldn t bet in a loser horse, this would be stupid. Last news about Iran hypersonic test and when they show the missiles show Iran is there to rule, they the real power out there, seriously. People can think whatever,but for US Iran is the only one means business, Iran is the beef.

Algeria is not gonna be nuclear, never any time soon, maybe Egypt can be nuclear capable only if improves relation with Iran. Iran will help anyone who shows wants to be in the alliance, officials repeteadly said that. But Egypt authorities are weak today, they seems to have a marginal position in the region.

And Turkiye would be subjected to sanctions if they try to be nuclear capable. They will obey. We all know this.

Iran is the strongest, to me, of course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom