What's new

American Economy News & Updates

I agree that a low, flat corporate tax rate is ideal, but then how will we be able to pay all of the deadbeats to stop working and all of the fake disability claims?

Its just insane to see how much is taxed on US Corporations. I mean, seriously, 39%? And the DEMS blame corporations for going abroad and "selling US jobs to foreigners". Such vacuous statements.

I mean, I want to also address an issue that I have. This year, this fiscal year, I did my taxes and just was amazed how much had been taken from my income / wages. I mean, I know it goes to services and what not, but I examined also the tax regime here in the 'states. It is as if a citizen is punished for being industrious, productive member of society. A worker who is makes over $90k has a 30% tax. People who make over $250k are taxed even greater. It seems as if the more you contribute to society , you're punished. Whereas the poor / 'marginalized' are rewarded. :hitwall:

Its just insane to see how much is taxed on US Corporations. I mean, seriously, 39%? And the DEMS blame corporations for going abroad and "selling US jobs to foreigners". Such vacuous statements.

I mean, I want to also address an issue that I have. This year, this fiscal year, I did my taxes and just was amazed how much had been taken from my income / wages. I mean, I know it goes to services and what not, but I examined also the tax regime here in the 'states. It is as if a citizen is punished for being industrious, productive member of society. A worker who is makes over $90k has a 30% tax. People who make over $250k are taxed even greater. It seems as if the more you contribute to society , you're punished. Whereas the poor / 'marginalized' are rewarded. :hitwall:

While I don't agree with it, I understand some degree of progressive taxation, in the Willie Sutton sense of robbing banks because that's where the most money is. But once the link between taxes paid and value received is broken, then the system is unsustainable.

As this apocryphal quote (usually attributed either to Ben Franklin, Alexis de Tocqueville, or Alexander Fraser Tyler) posits:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

While I don't agree with it, I understand some degree of progressive taxation, in the Willie Sutton sense of robbing banks because that's where the most money is. But once the link between taxes paid and value received is broken, then the system is unsustainable.

As this apocryphal quote (usually attributed either to Ben Franklin, Alexis de Tocqueville, or Alexander Fraser Tyler) posits:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

My dear sir, very poignant.

To corporate America, even French law looks inviting - MarketWatch

print-logo.png

MarketWatch First Take

July 28, 2014, 3:25 p.m. EDT

To corporate America, even French law looks inviting
Opinion: Pressure building for corporate tax reform as inversions mount
By Steve Goldstein, MarketWatch

MW-CO464_corp_t_20140728103602_NS.jpg

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — The published reports that Hospira may merge with a division of Danone leads to a rather unsettling conclusion: To corporate America, even the famously hostile-to-business France looks more inviting.

But it’s true. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, U.S. companies pay a tax rate of 39.1% (when the average state tax is factored in). French companies, by contrast, pay 34.4%.

Now, it’s important to note that not every U.S. company pays 39.1% of its earnings, or anywhere close to it. Various loopholes, deductions and international operations allow the effective rate for many companies to be far lower.

Take, for example, um, Hospira (NYSE:HSP) ! Over the past five years, the company has enjoyed a cumulative $216.5 million in tax benefits. That’s right — it’s earned $571.1 million before tax, and earned $787.6 million after tax.

True, it’s benefited from charges it’s taken that aren’t necessarily going to recur in future years as well as retroactive application of the research-and-development tax credit. In the first quarter, Hospira said it paid a tax rate of 24.5%.

It’s important to note that not every company can take advantage of these transactions, called inversions. Apple, for instance, would find a hard time finding another company large enough to swallow 20% of the iPhone maker, as the inversion loophole requires.

And, corporate tax represents a tiny part of the tax base anyway. According to data from ConvergEx, just under 9.9% of total tax and withholding came from corporate tax last year. (Through this fiscal year, corporate tax revenue is up about 9%.)

But it’s the principle, and of course, the sound bites, that make this an area ripe for reform, not to mention the potential for job losses when headquarters move abroad. President Barack Obama has called for retroactive action to early May to stamp out practices he calls “wrong.”

The politics aren’t easy though. “Inversions” aren’t catchy on the campaign trail, and it’s important to stress that even Senate Democrats, much less Republicans, are not in agreement on what to do with them. Politicians from both parties are keen to bundle inversions into a broader corporate-tax reform package, consisting of lower top tax rates and various changes and eliminations to the tax code.

It goes without saying that such tax reform can’t get done before the election, and in today’s 24-hour news cycle, it’s not a cinch that it can be done in 2015, either.

There may be another way. An article in Tax Notes suggests existing law allows Treasury to set standards on when a financial instrument should be treated as debt. Classifying any new debt issued to the foreign company as equity would eliminate the tax deductibility, points out Stephen Shay, a Harvard Law School professor and former Treasury official. While it wouldn’t eliminate this particular loophole, it would for instance lower the benefit of Walgreen’s (NYSE:WAG) possible transaction “by hundreds of millions of dollars,” Shay writes.

In any case, Treasury is under the gun. Shay himself talked to a banker who said the volume of deals to be announced in September will be double what was seen in June and July.

By then half of American corporations may be talking French.

Where's China's rates?

I agree that a low, flat corporate tax rate is ideal, but then how will we be able to pay all of the deadbeats to stop working and all of the fake disability claims?

We don't, make the laws stricter and any found abusing welfare should be fined and made forced to find and hold a job for at least a year. If they are unable to find a job they will either be sent to prison or the Government finds a job for them.

U.S. Jobless Rate Closing in on Nairu Estimate - Real Time Economics - WSJ

• wsj_print.gif
  • July 15, 2014, 7:53 AM ET
U.S. Jobless Rate Closing in on Nairu Estimate
ByJon Hilsenrath and Josh Zumbrun
BN-DR753_0715go_G_20140715075203.jpg

The Wall Street Journal
The U.S. unemployment rate is getting closer to the Federal Reserve’s estimate of the non-accelerating inflation rate of unemployment, or Nairu–a rate that is happily low, but not so low that the economy and job market risk overheating and causing inflation.

It is impossible to know exactly where this theoretical jobless rate stands, and it could change over time, depending on trends in worker productivity and other measures of labor-market slack. Fed officials estimate it to help guide their interest-rate-policy decisions. Many Fed officials put it in the 5.2% to 5.5% range. Some think it might be as high as 6% or as low as 5%. The trick for the Fed is to help guide unemployment into this comfort zone with interest rate policies and keep it there. When the economy is soft, the Fed encourages borrowing and spending with low rates, and when it is too strong, it does the reverse.

At 6.1% in June, the jobless rate was getting closer to where some officials put Nairu. Its quick approach to this level helps explain why some regional Fed bank presidents are talking about interest rate increases. Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen, who testifies before Congress on Tuesday and Wednesday on the economic outlook, has argued that hidden forms of labor-market slack, such as people taking part-time jobs when they want full-time jobs, gives the Fed extra room to maneuver.

What about the percentage of people who stopped looking for jobs, the chart should show that too.

What about the percentage of people who stopped looking for jobs, the chart should show that too.

The last sentence in the article addresses that point, but I agree with you that the NAIRU estimate is deceptive when the participation rate is falling.

@XenoEnsi-14 @LeveragedBuyout

In China, generally it's 33%. Besides, for some SMEs who have less taxable income, they have lower tax rate. Companies with taxable income lower than ¥30,000, the rate is 18%. Companies with taxable income more than ¥30,000 but lower than ¥100,000, it's 27% tax rate.

And, in 2013 the new rules says, for companies with sales revenue less than ¥20,000 per month, they can have a tax exemption.

US is facing total economic collapse with massive bond, stock and property bubbles.

The crash will be greater than 2008 and it will be the end of America as a big power.

Hilsenrath: Modest Growth Beneath the Surface Keeps Fed on Track - Real Time Economics - WSJ

• wsj_print.gif
  • July 30, 2014, 11:03 AM ET
Hilsenrath: Modest Growth Beneath the Surface Keeps Fed on Track
ByJon Hilsenrath
Wednesday’s surprisingly strong report on second-quarter economic growth should keep the Federal Reserve on track to finish its bond-buying program in October, while intensifying the debate about when to start raising short-term interest rates without resolving it.

The new figures provide the Fed relief that the economy has weathered a disappointing first quarter But they don’t sharply change the narrative being told by Chairwoman Janet Yellen, who said in testimony to Congress earlier this month, “Although the economy continues to improve, the recovery is not yet complete.”

To cut through the noise and confusion produced by the report on gross domestic product, skip everything else and go straight to table 8 on page 33. It tells you everything you need to know and sends important signals about how Fed officials are likely to view the numbers.

Table 8 includes measures of quarterly output and inflation compared with the economy’s performance one year earlier. U.S. economic output in the second quarter was up 2.4% from a year ago, compared with increases of 1.9% in the first quarter and 3.1% in the fourth quarter.

The economy is growing at a modest pace. It picked up late last year, stumbled in the first quarter, and has resumed a modest, but not-gangbusters, pace.

Meantime, inflation in the second quarter—as measured by the personal consumption expenditure price index—was up 1.6% in the second quarter from a year ago. It has accelerated from 1.1% in the first quarter and 1.0% in the fourth quarter, but remains below the Federal Reserve’s 2% target.

These year-over-year numbers are different from the figures making headlines—growth at a 4% annual rate in the second quarter and inflation at a 2.3% annual pace—because a different approach to measurement is employed. The headline number of 4% growth is based on the economy’s performance in the second quarter compared to the first quarter and then extrapolated over an entire year. The numbers in table 8 show how much output the economy produced in the second quarter measured as a percent change from how much it produced in the second quarter a year earlier. The latter takes a slightly longer-term perspective.

Quarterly numbers measured at annual rates—what you see in Table 1 of the release and what gets widely reported—can loudly signal when the economy is heating up or slowing down. But these numbers are volatile, sometimes suggest more movement than actually occurs and can be skewed by seasonal adjustments meant to smooth out differences caused by weather and holidays.

Consider these make-believe output numbers over five hypothetical quarters:

Period 1: 100

Period 2: 102

Period 3: 104

Period 4: 103

Period 5: 106

The pattern shows modest growth earlier in the series, cut off by a brief downturn, and then resumed. Measured at an annual rate, the change from period 4 to period 5 is 12.2%. Measured as a change from period 1 a year earlier, the change is 6%. What better captures the broader pattern? Probably the year-over-year change.

When Wall Street evaluates the earnings of companies, it typically looks at the year-over-year percent in earnings and revenue.

Importantly, when the Federal Reserve forecasts output and inflation, it also forecasts a year-over-year percent change. More specifically, it forecasts the growth in economic output from the fourth quarter of one year to the fourth quarter of the next and the change in the personal consumption expenditure price index from the fourth quarter of one year to the fourth quarter of the next.

In June, Fed officials projected GDP would rise 2.1% to 2.3% in the fourth quarter of 2014 compared with the fourth quarter of 2013. (These projections were downwardly revised from earlier in the year, thanks to the soft first quarter.) Officials predicted inflation between 1.5% and 1.7% in the fourth quarter compared to a year earlier.

Looked at this way, the economy is now moving largely in line with the Fed’s June predictions. Because of the first-quarter setback, it will need to stay on a growth track greater than 3% in the second half of the year to finish the year in line with its growth expectations.

The GDP report also leaves unanswered an unsettling question: Why is the unemployment rate, at 6.1% in June, falling so fast when the economy, amidst its stops and starts, isn’t growing very fast at all. Friday’s jobs report will add another piece to that puzzle.

BS fake numbers now all of the sudden you change first quarter again thats the 4 or 3 time you change your Q1 data. Youre not reliable and a liar country

If you were confused, you should know that this is an initial estimate, and you should prepare for at least two revisions as further data is collected. Your ignorance is no indication of a lie on our part.

If you were confused, you should know that this is an initial estimate, and you should prepare for at least two revisions as further data is collected. Your ignorance is no indication of a lie on our part.

preparing? for
0.1% to
-1% to
-2.9% to
-2.1% ?
q1 growth?

youre the one accusing other countries faking their gdp numbers like you do to china. The only one faking is you

Back
Top Bottom