What's new

America has just discovered the doner kebab – and the Internet's gone crazy

KhalaiMakhlooq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
America has just discovered the doner kebab – and the Internet's gone crazy

27 February 2019 | https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/762287/doner-kebab-shish-america-turkish-takeaway

DONER KEBABS are an essential part of the Great British Night On The Lash – but Americans are only just discovering them…

5c766e87d7e0a_KEBABHERO.jpg

New York news site Insider ran a video of someone slicing the classic ‘“elephant’s leg” kebab way back in May – but for some reason it’s blown up on Twitter overnight.

The video describes the ultimate post-pub dirty snack as a ‘meat platter’ because apparently due to some oversight they don’t have a kebab shop situated exactly half-way between everybody’s house and their local.

The poor, naive Americans seem to think that doners are some sort of exotic culinary innovation that counts as a gourmet sandwich.

And British Twitter is amazed, aghast, and laughing its head off.

Calum McSwiggan asked “Did they really just refer to that kebab as a “sandwich”? I literally can’t with these people” while Becs cut right to the heart of the matter: “Meat platters? It’s a doner kebab – you can get one in every take away in the U.K.”

Mr Price shared some valuable information for US citizens just discovering the late-night staple: “It's a kebab!!! And top tip from UK..... if the kebab shop guy asks you if u want his 'secret sauce' you say NO!”

1574798.jpg

Doner kebab purist Vigilante wasn’t entirely happy with the presentation: “Imagine chopping up doner meat like this. Blasphemy” and Miyun offered a similar perspective: “oh god that meat looks so weird americans what are they feeding you oh my god if you tried to sell that "kebab" in Turkey people would report you to somewhere anywhere …oh my god”

Kebabs aren’t entirely new in New York. Iron Man spots a Shawarma restaurant towards the end of the first Avengers movie but for some reason the fine people at Insider missed that.

They also seemed to miss the fact that the mysterious ‘secret sauce’ was just garlic mayonnaise.
After being comprehensively mocked by British, Turkish, German and French Twitter for a few hours one plucky Yank hit back, saying “All of you saying “Americans haven’t found this yet?”....ummmm we’re in a different country. Here’s a question, do know what a sloppy joe is? Or Shoo Fly Pie? No? Ok then”

No we don’t. And we’re not about to find out. because after talking about kebabs for ten minutes all we can think about now is that lovely, lovely elephant’s leg.

The Halal Guys has become a nation-wide franchise here in the U.S---however, any Turkish or Pakistani wouldn't even give Halal guys 5/10 for taste :lol: (Talking about the franchise food, not the original cart in NYC)

Not even kidding, at my university here in California, we used to have this random truck selling halal "chicken and rice" and trust me, it was muchhhhhhhhhh better than Halal guys.

One thing we have absolute 'superiority' over white people is...Food. Can't take that away :D

Meanwhile doner kebob franchises fail in Pakistan for some reason. Shawarmas sell not doner kebab specific franchises or maybe it was just my city.

Doner Kebap >>>>> Shwarma. No comparison. Turkish food is very similar to Pakistani food.

Are these guys f...cking idiots Greeks have been selling Gyros or Souvlaki or what the Turks call it Doner or something else since like the 1960s go to Astoria,Queens and see a bunch of Greeks and Turks sell this stuff lol as for Pakistani food being close to Turkish food bit too far Turkish food is more closer to Greek,Albanian, or Bulgarian tbh

They are called Gyros in USA and been selling for at least half a century may be more.

Yeah the Greeks were the first one to start selling them here the Turks came a lil later

Meanwhile doner kebob franchises fail in Pakistan for some reason. Shawarmas sell not doner kebab specific franchises or maybe it was just my city.

Shwawarmas is just the Arab version of a Doner while the Doner is the Greek version of a Gyro basically

The Halal Guys has become a nation-wide franchise here in the U.S---however, any Turkish or Pakistani wouldn't even give Halal guys 5/10 for taste :lol: (Talking about the franchise food, not the original cart in NYC)

Not even kidding, at my university here in California, we used to have this random truck selling halal "chicken and rice" and trust me, it was muchhhhhhhhhh better than Halal guys.

One thing we have absolute 'superiority' over white people is...Food. Can't take that away :D

The Halal Guys is okay but I prefer going to Astoria,Queens for a Gyro or Doner, in terms of the carts the King of Falfael is better which again is in Astoria

They are called Gyros in USA

Yoğurt, baklava, kebap, coffee, musakka, cacık, dolma, kokoreç, işkembe, iskender kebap, güveç, lokma and even TURKISH DELIGHT as GREEK DELIGHT... Is there anything left Turkish that Greeks didn't steal and rebrand ? Come over here guys take my livers too! :facepalm:

The Halal Guys is okay but I prefer going to Astoria,Queens for a Gyro or Doner, in terms of the carts the King of Falfael is better which again is in Astoria

West Coast Best Coast.

Never lived in dumb East Coast :D

lmao the white sauce is called tahini and the recipe is not unknown... it's basically garlic in place of eggs in mayo... made the same way...
ah white people :P

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom