AMD India develops new fusion chip

Choppers

Reaction score
Country
India
AMD India develops new fusion chip​

Chip will make netbooks, tablets thrice as powerful

TH11_BU_AMDONTARIO_306000f.jpg

HYDERABAD: The India team of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has designed and developed its latest fusion chip 'Ontario' - combining a central processing unit (CPU) and graphics processing unit (GPU) in one chip and at least three times more powerful and economical compared to its competitors, company officials said.

AMD India managing director and corporate vice president Dasaratha R. Gude told reporters the research and development team in Hyderabad produced the chip after working hard for two years.

"It has put India on the global map with product development capability that involved design and development of product from drawing board to mother board," he said.

While shipping began recently, the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) will roll out their products powered by Ontario beginning January 2011.

Ontario will power netbooks/tablets, small form factor desktops and devices, while Zacate, another version of Ontario, will be tucked in to energize the ultra-thin mainstream and value notebooks, desktops and all-in-ones.

The 90-member team that developed the fusion chip include Gude, project director Ajay Naini, chief engineer Michael Goddard and design manager Srini Gutta.

According to Naini, the estimated total available market for products of this ilk is 100 million units a year to power multiple consumer gadgets. The annualised market size is pegged at $30-40 billion.

AMD India plays a significant role in the design of microprocessors, Fusion SoCs (system on chips), graphics and media solutions.

The Hindu : Business / Companies : AMD unveils first of its kind chip

:disagree:

lie after another lie.

this chip features two core components - a Bobcat CPU and an ATI GPU. you tell me which of them is designed in india?

the indian team put two major components designed by western teams together, that is all.

:disagree::disagree:

you need to be honest before you can achieve anything real in life.

good news

Hopefully more foreign companies will open their R & D centers here,plugging the brain drain to some extent.

lie after another lie.

this chip features two core components - a Bobcat CPU and an ATI GPU. you tell me which of them is designed in india?

the indian team put two major components designed by western teams together, that is all.

another brainless post after another..

Nw please could u tell us that where they are claiming that they have fabricated the CPU and GPU..they are saying that they just combined them on a single chip which indeed is very wonderful..as this combo would require much less power which is the main aim of any mobility device..

Last edited:

lie after another lie.
this chip features two core components - a Bobcat CPU and an ATI GPU. you tell me which of them is designed in india? the indian team put two major components designed by western teams together, that is all.

AMD Ontario, Zacate Fusion Family APUs

AMD unveils fusion chip 'Ontario' with latest features | MAT, SNAP, XAT, CAT 2010

AMD India team develops new fusion chip - Yahoo!

AMD India develops new Ontario Fusion APU | TATHYA.NET

AMD India team develops new fusion chip | AMD chip | | Indian Express

AMD India develops new fusion chip - OverOll.com - 420368

AMD India team develops new fusion chip - AOL India News

PC Perspective - AMD's Ontario and Zacate APUs Further Exposed

PLS GO THROUGH THE ABOVE LINKS

lie after another lie.

do you work there? how did you get these information? any source?.

Not "AMD India" but AMD Canada, AMD USA and AMD India so its false to claim the whole credit for one..or even headline it as AMD India..end of the day AMD remains the IP owner and shall be addressed as AMD...once again self obsession of Indian press.

this is rubbish as AMD is years behind fabrication technology than Intel despite having a CPU design more advanced than Intel which accomplished the same feat 3 years ago of cramming X4000 GPU in the CPU core.

No new technology has been invented or discovered here just fabrication engineers developing new productions methods..

and kudos to talent of Indian team. Many people were under impression that only western countries with white workforce are capable of such..a small step forward a giant leap for nation!

And by the way three teams participated in the Ontario project..

Last edited:
Not "AMD India" but AMD Canada, AMD USA and AMD India so its false to claim the whole credit for one..or even headline it as AMD India..end of the day AMD remains the IP owner and shall be addressed as AMD...once again self obsession of Indian press.

this is rubbish as AMD is years behind fabrication technology than Intel despite having a CPU design more advanced than Intel which accomplished the same feat 3 years ago of cramming X4000 GPU in the CPU core.

No new technology has been invented or discovered here just fabrication engineers developing new productions methods..

and kudos to talent of Indian team. Many people were under impression that only western countries with white workforce are capable of such..a small step forward a giant leap for nation!

well spotted!

I knew it when I read the name "Chop Ontario". It tells who were the leading force of the effort. Else they would have called it Chip "Delhi" instead by all means. :cheesy:

kudos to the AMD India and the teams behind the futuristic chip development. There are many other advanced microprocessors developed in India like Intel's 'Whitefield' named after Whitefield in Bangalore.

well spotted!

I knew it when I read the name "Chop Ontario". It tells who were the leading force of the effort. Else they would have called it Chip "Delhi" instead by all means. :cheesy:

is there any high tech company in india that are capable of design a dual/quad core chip on their own?

I mean let's forget about American companies for the purpose of this discussion, is there any indian company can do this? I don't think so. the gap here is clear, about 3-4 decades lag.

I can easily name a long list of chips that are critical to india's development, but india has to rely 100% on foreign supplies:

1. india is NOT capable of designing and building DSP chips.
2. india is NOT capable of designing and building FPGA chips.
3. india is NOT capable of designing and building D/A or A/D chips.
4. india is NOT capable of designing and building modern general purpose CPU.
5. india is NOT capable of designing and building embedded CPU with low power consumption.
6. india is NOT capable of designing and building GPU.
7. india is NOT capable of designing and building many-core chips.
8. india is NOT capable of designing and building 1-10Gbps network controller chips.
9. india is NOT capable of designing and building any base band chip used in mobile phone.
10. india is NOT capable of designing and building any interconnection chip for supercomputers.

indian members, if you don't agree, then please provide facts to prove I am wrong. let's have some meaningful and civilized discussion, your troll will be reported.

is there any high tech company in india that are capable of design a dual/quad core chip on their own?

I mean let's forget about American companies for the purpose of this discussion, is there any indian company can do this? I don't think so. the gap here is clear, about 3-4 decades lag.

I can easily name a long list of chips that are critical to india's development, but india has to rely 100% on foreign supplies:

1. india is NOT capable of designing and building DSP chips.
2. india is NOT capable of designing and building FPGA chips.
3. india is NOT capable of designing and building D/A or A/D chips.
4. india is NOT capable of designing and building modern general purpose CPU.
5. india is NOT capable of designing and building embedded CPU with low power consumption.
6. india is NOT capable of designing and building GPU.
7. india is NOT capable of designing and building many-core chips.
8. india is NOT capable of designing and building 1-10Gbps network controller chips.
9. india is NOT capable of designing and building any base band chip used in mobile phone.
10. india is NOT capable of designing and building any interconnection chip for supercomputers.

indian members, if you don't agree, then please provide facts to prove I am wrong. let's have some meaningful and civilized discussion, your troll will be reported.

First tell me as to why is it important for India to indigenously manufacture all of the above chips and why local development is "critical" for Indian progress ?

Is India the only country that relies on foreign chips ? Can you provide some details on your country's progress in this area ?

Reliance Industries had some semiconductor plans but I think they are shelved now. Indian govt. policies are not very productive for companies to invest in this area as of now. Also, certain defence PSU's are capable of taking care of customized chips that are required for defence purposes.

First tell me as to why is it important for India to indigenously manufacture all of the above chips and why local development is "critical" for Indian progress ?

Is India the only country that relies on foreign chips ? Can you provide some details on your country's progress in this area ?

Reliance Industries had some semiconductor plans but I think they are shelved now. Indian govt. policies are not very productive for companies to invest in this area as of now. Also, certain defence PSU's are capable of taking care of customized chips that are required for defence purposes.

To say India is capable of desiging new chips which it does for its own applications.. what we lack is the production technology.. we can develope what ever chip we want at the lab but we dont have the technology to produce because of the very huge investment and competition...

Wait INTEL? The same INTEL Co. that has produced many chips under INDIAN expertise?

To say India is capable of desiging new chips which it does for its own applications.. what we lack is the production technology.. we can develope what ever chip we want at the lab but we dont have the technology to produce because of the very huge investment and competition...

We have to invest in order to develop. This is a core and critical technology that India needs in order to be b competitive. It should be given special incentives in order to develop, the same way China did!

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom