What's new

All stories on Ukraine airliner tragedy

IRANIAN MISSILE SYSTEM SHOT DOWN UKRAINE FLIGHT, PROBABLY BY MISTAKE, SOURCES SAY

BY NAVEED JAMALI , JAMES LAPORTA , CHANTAL DA SILVA AND TOM O'CONNOR ON 1/9/20 AT 11:00 AM EST

Ukranian Passenger Plane Crashes In Iran, Killing All 176 People Onboard

The Ukrainian flight that crashed just outside the Iranian capital of Tehran was struck by an anti-aircraft missile system, a Pentagon official, a senior U.S. intelligence official and an Iraqi intelligence official told Newsweek.

Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752, a Boeing 737–800 en route from Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airpot to Kyiv's Boryspil International Airport, stopped transmitting data Tuesday just minutes after takeoff and not long after Iran launched missiles at military bases housing U.S. and allied forces in neighboring Iraq. The aircraft is believed to have been struck by a Russia-built Tor-M1 surface-to-air missile system, known to NATO as Gauntlet, the three officials, who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, told Newsweek.

One Pentagon and one U.S senior intelligence official told Newsweek that the Pentagon's assessment is that the incident was accidental. Iran's anti-aircraft were likely active following the country's missile attack, which came in response to the U.S. killing last week of Revolutionary Guard Quds Force commander Major General Qassem Soleimani, sources said.

U.S. Central Command declined to comment on the matter when contacted by Newsweek. No reply was returned from the National Security Council or State Department.

Of the 176 people on board, 82 were Iranian, 63 were Canadian and 11 were Ukrainian (including nine crewmembers), along with 10 Swedish, seven Afghan and three German nationals. None survived.

ukraine-international-flight-crash-iran.jpg

Rescue teams work amidst debris after a Ukrainian plane carrying 176 people crashed near Imam Khomeini International Airport in the Iranian capital Tehran early in the morning on January 8, killing everyone on board. AFP/GETTY IMAGES
The incident was first reported by Iranian semi-official media outlets, which cited the country's Red Crescent Society as assessing that the initial cause appeared to be mechanical failure. The Ukrainian embassy in Tehran shared this view in a statement, but later retracted it, with Kyiv warning not to draw conclusions from preliminary assessments.

Images began to circulate Wednesday of what appeared to be fragments of a Tor M-1 missile said to have been found in a suburb southwest of Tehran. Ukraine Security Council Secretary Oleksiy Danylov said Thursday in a statement that contact with a Tor M-1 system was among the potential causes for the plane's destruction that his country was looking into.

Other potential scenarios involved a collision with an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) or another flying object, technical malfunction and a terrorist attack.

The Civil Aviation Organization of Iran Chief has also invited Canada and Sweden to cooperate in the accident investigation, however, Chief Executive Ali Abedzadeh has stressed that he would not hand over the aircraft's black box⁠—which may provide details of the doomed flight's final moments⁠—to the United States.

Abedzadeh also on Thursday dismissed speculation that a missile strike took down. In a statement, he said this outcome was "scientifically impossible and such rumors make no sense at all."

In a rare call Thursday, Canadian Foreign Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne spoke with his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif, to whom he "stressed the need for Canadian officials to be quickly granted access to Iran to provide consular services, help with identification of the deceased and take part in the investigation of the crash."

Champagne said that "Canada and Canadians have many questions which will need to be answered."

Asked whether the Canadian government is considering or leading with the possibility that an anti-aircraft missile took down Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752, Global Affairs spokesperson Krystyna Dodds said her office would have to get back to Newsweek on the matter.

https://www.newsweek.com/iranians-shot-down-ukraine-flight-mistake-sources-1481313

The power of controlling the media

Ukrainian officials come to Tehran to check their black box. Everything will becomes clear...

"Iraq has WMDs" -US media

US increasingly believes Iran shot down Ukrainian airliner by accident

By Jim Sciutto, Pamela Brown, Barbara Starr and Maegan Vazquez, CNN
Updated 12:10 PM EST, Thu January 09, 2020
200108114748-22-iran-plane-crash-0108-medium-plus-169.jpg

(CNN)The US increasingly believes that Iran mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian airliner on Wednesday, according to multiple US officials. The working theory is based on continuing analysis of data from satellites, radar and electronic data collected routinely by US military and intelligence.

The flight crashed following Iranian strikes on US forces in Iraq.

President Donald Trump on Thursday said he suspected the crash was not due to mechanical issues, indicating that "somebody could have made a mistake on the other side."

Asked during a White House event what he thought happened to the plane, Trump said, "Well, I have my suspicions."

"I don't want to say that because other people have their suspicions," Trump said, but added, "Somebody could have made a mistake on the other side ... not our system. It has nothing to do with us."

"It was flying in a pretty rough neighborhood. They could've made a mistake. Some people say it was mechanical. I personally don't think that's even a question."

Asked if he thought it was downed by accident, Trump said, "I don't know. I really don't know ... that's up to them. At some point they'll release the black box."

"Ideally they'd give it to Boeing," he said, but said giving it to France or "some other country" would be fine, too.

"Something very terrible happened, very devastating," he concluded.

Iran's Civil Aviation Organization head, Ali Abedzadeh, said it would not hand the flight data recorders to Boeing or the United States after they were found on Wednesday.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/09/politics/is-iran-ukraine-plane/index.html

2 SA missiles fired. Whatever Iranian soldier ordered that launch is toast.

"Iraq has WMDs" -US media
"NSA does not conduct mass surveillance of US citizens on US soil" -US media

Name me a country that is featured on this forum, and I will give a list of lies by the government. Other than Pakistan, because I enjoy posting here. ;)

What india did last year is now repeated by iran. Feeling sad for families of all the victims :(

This happens in the fog of war. India shot down its helicopter.

2 SA missiles fired. Whatever Iranian soldier ordered that launch is toast.

Name me a country that is featured on this forum, and I will give a list of lies by the government. Other than Pakistan, because I enjoy posting here. ;)

I don't think any country that purports to be as much of a bastion of freedom of speech and human rights violates as the US lies as much as the US does. A lot of Americans don't get that it's the unbearable hypocrisy behind US govt lectures on human rights and mass surveillance and media manipulation to other countries that gets to most of us.

It's a relative thing. Let's not derail the thread though. Why speculate so much when the Ukrainian team will be inspecting the black box very soon anyway?

Back
Top Bottom