What's new

Alibaba: The Giant of e-Commerce

Chinese people say 有马姓的人们中十有八九是穆斯林人 so i assume he is a Muslim. Can any Chinese member confirm?

I'am just asking out of curiosity.

Could be, since Alibaba is also an Arabic name.

But our Viet members here claim that he looks like a Viet. :crazy:

Nothing to be proud that one of the biggest Chinese companies had to go to the US because some outrageously stupid bureaucratic rule prevented them from listing in Hong Kong or Shanghai.

Taobao is aiming at the western market, that's the key reason.

Alibaba IPO boosts Masayoshi Son as he's crowned Japan's 'richest man'

@LeveragedBuyout, -- This truly is an example of how business transcends all political bickering. Who says China and Japan cannot cooperate? ;)

View attachment 65015

View attachment 65016

Softbank's chief executive Masayoshi Son has become Japan's richest man with an estimated personal fortune of $16.6 billion...And he may have to send Alibaba a thank you note for it.

Shares in Softbank, which owns a 37 per cent stake in the Chinese e-commerce giant, have surged ahead of Alibaba's initial public offering with shares expected to begin trading on Friday in New York.

And this is good news for the Japanese businessman.

Son's Softbank invested $20 million in the Chinese company back in 2000 before the relatively unknown Alibaba.com turned into an e-commerce behemoth.

His bet paid off and Alibaba's IPO is already proving a huge win for Son, who owns a 19 per cent stake in Softbank, and recently indicated he has no immediate plans to sell the company's stake in Alibaba.

On Tuesday, Alibaba raised its float price range from $60-$66 a share to $66 to $68 citing strong demand. At $68 per share, the float would value Alibaba at $168bn (£104 billion) and raise more than $25 billion, making it the biggest public offering ever.

The float price would also be good news for Yahoo- a minority investor in Alibaba with a 22 per cent stake which has seen its share price jump ahead of the IPO. Unlike Softbank, Yahoo has already indicated it plans to sell 140 million shares and return at least half the cash from the IPO to shareholders, which could be in the form of a stock buyback or a dividend.

Alibaba IPO boosts Masayoshi Son as he's crowned Japan's 'richest man' - Business News - Business - The Independent

Softbank only took the shares, but they have no influence over the company.

That's why BABA's IPO was started in the Wall Street, not in Hong Kong.

alibaba is actually undervalued, not overpriced. you buy alibaba you get whole lot of these shits in one. they are giants in china and still have a lot room fro growth..

504c4704707a5ead3dd45888e6a03069.png

Last edited:
I think Ma Yun got the inspiration from Arabic stories (Arabian Nights if I am not wrong) to entitle the company.
If there has a bigger IPO and they have the willingness that should be Huawei. Huawei had create far more millionaires than ALIBABA. The next internet company in China that will succeed is Xiaomi.
Don't forget JD which is a competitor of ALIBABA.

I think Ma Yun got the inspiration from Arabic stories (Arabian Nights if I am not wrong) to entitle the company.
If there has a bigger IPO and they have the willingness that should be Huawei. Huawei had create far more millionaires than ALIBABA. The next internet company in China that will succeed is Xiaomi.
Don't forget JD which is a competitor of ALIBABA.

Huawei will almost certainly not go public. Interesting fact: Huawei is technically classified as a "worker's collective".

Chinese people say 有马姓的人们中十有八九是穆斯林人 so i assume he is a Muslim. Can any Chinese member confirm?

Many Chinese Hui people are surnamed Ma, but not the other way round.

There are more Han Chinese surnamed Ma than Hui people with Ma as their surname.

With slightly over 10 out of 1000 thus surnamed, Ma is the 19th most popular family name for Han Chinese,

Ma Says China's Alibaba To Thrash Google 'Sharks'

Ma Yun is ruthless. The exact type of person that succeeds in big business. Most people are too nice to be successful in the cage fight of big business.

This guy is a badass who doesn't take sh*t from nobody. He micros Alibaba the way Steve Jobs micros Apple. He started from nothing and crawled his way up to the top by stepping over the broken skulls of his enemies (business-wise). I got mixed feelings about this guy, but there's no denying his success.

Huawei will almost certainly not go public. Interesting fact: Huawei is technically classified as a "worker's collective".
Yes, Huawei has much more employee shares than any other companies in China. So I said if they have the willingness then they will create far more millionaires than any other companies. That's so wonderful.

Many Chinese Hui people are surnamed Ma, but not the other way round.

There are more Han Chinese surnamed Ma than Hui people with Ma as their surname.

With slightly over 10 out of 1000 thus surnamed, Ma is the 19th most popular family name for Han Chinese,

Sir, Thank you for your information.

Yes, I forgot the broker fees and tax.
Easy and big money for the year.

I will also wait for Weixin/Webchat’s IPO and I hope this time they choose Shanghai or Hongkong. Maybe another $50 billions market value.

BAT GO!

Weixin is owned by Tencent.

Weixin is owned by Tencent.
Yes, Tencent is listed in HK(00700)
and current market value is more than $150 billion. The rumor is Weixin will be separated for IPOs maybe in HK or SG.
Currently, Alibaba=Baidu+Tencent.
The properly order of BAT is A T B by market value. But Baidu and Tencent s mobile business roars these years, lets wait for their next steps in financial markets.

Last edited:
Yes, Tencent is listed in HK(00700)
and current market value is more than $150 billion. The rumor is Weixin will be separated for IPOs maybe in HK or SG.
Currently, Alibaba=Baidu+Tencent.
The properly order of BAT is A B T by market value. But Baidu and Tencent s mobile business roars these years, lets wait for their next steps in financial markets.

How to buy shares in weixin now?

I partly agree.One of my teachers in my junior school surnamed Ma is a Muslim.However, most (>90%) of us Chinese belong to the nation Han,and we generally do not believe in any religion.So it's rare to meet a Chinese Muslim.

Wowww...this means BABA(which i had never heard of until about 1year ago through a friend) is now the worlds 2nd largest internet company after Google?:o::cheesy: Wow..that's some achievement. I was surprised to read in the financial times recently that 4 out of the top 10 internet companies in the world are Chinese. Is that true?
We in Europe really need to buckle up and create europeans own internet companies/giants . Also I'm surprised to see there's no Japanese internet company among the top, since I know Japan is a very big tech country.
China has a huge advantage giving its huge market, but same can be said of India as well. This news is interesting. Let's see what happens these coming years.

I partly agree.One of my teachers in my junior school surnamed Ma is a Muslim.However, most (>90%) of us Chinese belong to the nation Han,and we generally do not believe in any religion.So it's rare to meet a Chinese Muslim.

thank you for your information.

Wowww...this means BABA(which i had never heard of until about 1year ago through a friend) is now the worlds 2nd largest internet company after Google?:o::cheesy: Wow..that's some achievement. I was surprised to read in the financial times recently that 4 out of the top 10 internet companies in the world are Chinese. Is that true?
We in Europe really need to buckle up and create europeans own internet companies/giants . Also I'm surprised to see there's no Japanese internet company among the top, since I know Japan is a very big tech country.
China has a huge advantage giving its huge market, but same can be said of India as well. This news is interesting. Let's see what happens these coming years.

Anything can be "tech". In this case, you are thinking "software". Japanese are riding primarily on its hardware achievements in the 70's and 80's and doing modifications on that. It simply never recognized the importance of software and internet connectivity in the 90's and is now losing out for it in all sorts of markets because simple connectivity is already past - what is important now is fully networked mobile systems, distributed computing, distributed memory, etc. There's nothing to be surprised about - if you miss an important technical development, don't be surprised if you fall behind on subsequent technical developments.

Back
Top Bottom