Al Qaeda plans US, UK Christmas attack: Iraq official

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Al Qaeda plans US, UK Christmas attack: Iraq official
Published: Thursday, Dec 16, 2010, 23:04 IST

Al Qaeda is planning attacks in the United States, Britain and Europe around Christmas, one year after a failed attempt to bomb a US-bound passenger plane, a senior Iraqi official said on Thursday.

Major General Dhiya Hussein, the interior ministry's counter-terrorism chief, said a captured militant from the Iraqi wing of al Qaeda revealed the plot during interrogations. The insurgent was among a group of 39 men arrested in a widespread swoop on top militants last month, he said.

Authorities say last month's raids, which led to the arrest of one of al Qaeda's top officers in Iraq as well as its leadership in the western province of Anbar, dealt a blow to the group's local affiliate, the Islamic state of Iraq.

"One of the (men) confessed that ISI will execute attacks inside the United States, Britain, and Europe," Hussein said. "They were making preparations for this goal."

He said Iraq had informed the affected countries, and said US interrogators had already spoken to the insurgent.

"We are aware of the announcement... regarding alleged terrorist plans for attacks against the US and Europe," said Kelli Lane, a US military spokeswoman in Baghdad. "The US mission in Iraq will work closely with the government of Iraq and our interagency partners to help determine the extent of any potential threat."

More than seven years after the US-led invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein, Iraq remains in the throes of a stubborn insurgency that still unleashes daily attacks.

Many of those arrested in the latest crackdown had been previously held in US custody and rejoined the insurgency after being released, Iraqi officials have said.

Hussein said the Islamic state of Iraq saw itself as next in line to conduct a Christmas attack after last year's failed airplane attack on December 25, for which Yemen's al Qaeda branch claimed responsibility.

"They have kind of competition among them (al Qaeda groups)," Hussein said.

The counterterrorism chief said the arrested militant did not specify which other European countries the group planned to attack during the holiday season. But he said indications pointed to Sweden.

A Swedish national of Middle Eastern decent was killed in a botched suicide attack in Stockholm on Saturday. Shortly beforehand, a car containing gas canisters blew up in the capital.

Al Qaeda plans US, UK Christmas attack: Iraq official - World - DNA

After 9/11,the same year Christmas ,there was this same state of fear of another terror strike.

Howsoever much hate I might have for ISI and its operations in India, I find it hard to digest that it would want to be seen in direct association with a terrorist attack in the west.

a. Can they do it?

b. Why would they do it?

I can't see a reason there.

Last edited:
And why would ISI want them to light up us,uk on xmass day?

Thts just ..king stupid.

Howsoever much hate I might have for ISI and its operations in India, I find it hard to digest that it would want to be seen in direct association with a terrorist attack in the west.

a. Can they do it?

b. Why would they do it?

I can't see a reason there.

ISI = Islamic State of Iraq
Not the Inter Service Intelligence of Pakistan.:coffee:
Authorities say last month's raids,
which led to the arrest of one of
al Qaeda's top officers in Iraq as
well as its leadership in the
western province of Anbar, dealt
a blow to the group's local
affiliate, the Islamic state of Iraq.

at first i was like did they just say ISI but thanks to ASP007 we know it aint us!

if attacks keep occuring

the longer the war on terror will continue

the longer we will be in the region fighting...

if attacks keep occuring

the longer the war on terror will continue

the longer we will be in the region fighting...

doubtful. Already out of cash :D

Any body want to sent a telegram to OsamaBin Landen.
"Please no christmas bombing this year, beside those jews don't have christmas,isn't more fun to wait for their holydays? And please no more bomb in north Europe,more people here is on your side befor the reacent Stockholm bombing
Marry christmas! "

Back
Top Bottom