What's new

Aircraft carrier Liaoning vs Vikramaditya

Maleesh

Reaction score
What is the best Aircraft carrier?
both are ex Soviet vessels, and undergone furbishment in Ukraine and Russia.

Liaoning Aircraft Carrier is Admiral Kuznetsov Class
While Vikramaditiya is a modified Kiev class carrier

And Liaoning plans to operate over 55 aircraft with J-15, Su-27k, Ka-31, Z-8
While vikramaditya plans to operate over 30 aircraft with Mig 29k, Ka-31, HAL Dhruv

And planned armament of Liaoning are,
- 4 x 18 cell FL-3000N (72 missiles)
- 3 x 30mm Type 1030 CIWS
- 2 x 240mm ASW launchers (10 barrels ea)
- 4 x Decoy/Chaff (24 barrels ea)

While Vikramaditiyas armaments are,
- 3 X 24 SA-N-9 SAM
- 4 X 32 CADS-N-1 SAM/CIWS
- 4 X AK-630 30mm CIWS
-2 X 12 ASW RBU-6000

And both carriers have 2 elevators.
And Liaoning can operate under 2,500crew and Vikramaditiya can operate under 2,000crew.

and about the displacement Liaoning has 65,000t and Vikramaditya has only 45,000t.

@Maleesh its not in size And shape of the AC.... its what on it.... Indian AC will have latest technology and deadly weapons.... Plus lots of experience....

About the experience I agree with you IN has tons of experience in operating aircraft carriers.But when it comes to tech I think Vikramaditiya is bit lagging.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to say which one is better, but one thing in favor of Liaoning is it an carry more aircrafts and helis.

on paper vikramaditya is lacking.

yeah, dats why I intend to start a thread like this. the known capabilities of both carriers are limited.

It is hard to say which one is better, but one thing in favor of Liaoning is it an carry more aircrafts and helis.

yeah Lioaning can carry upto 24 combat aircraft and Vikramaditya can carry upto 16 combat aircraft

CV-16 Liaoning
304,5m
72m
10,5m
67500 ton
30 knots
2200 crew
24 Shenyang J-15

VS.

INS Vikaramditya
283,5m
59,8m
9,5m
45400 ton
29 knots
1600 crew
16 MiG-29K Fulcrum-D

CV-16 Liaoning
304,5m
72m
10,5m
67500 ton
30 knots
2200 crew
24 Shenyang J-15

VS.

INS Vikaramditya
283,5m
59,8m
9,5m
45400 ton
29 knots
1600 crew
16 MiG-29K Fulcrum-D

information on both vessels you've given is before refit

yeah, dats why I intend to start a thread like this. the known capabilities of both carriers are limited.

yeah Lioaning can carry upto 24 combat aircraft and Vikramaditya can carry upto 16 combat aircraft

seems like u already understand everything , then why the hack u opened this troll thread?

:hitwall: before refit vikaramaditya wasnt a carrier.

No, after the refits. The dimension's of the Liaoning didn't change from the original Kuznetsov class, China has only got rid of all the weapons systems on the Varyag. That didn't change the full displacement or the length or width of the ship.

As for the Vikaramaditya here are the dimension's of the Admiral Gorshkov

Admiral Gorshkov
273m
51,9m
9,42m
45400 ton
32 knots
1600 crew
12 Yak-38 Forger

Soviet aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S. I don't think that the Vikramaditya is coming from Russia with any CIWS systems on it. I have heard that India is planning to fit the ship with Israeli made barak systems after 2017. Can someone confirm this ?

No, after the refits. The dimension's of the Liaoning didn't change from the original Kuznetsov class, China has only got rid of all the weapons systems on the Varyag. That didn't change the full displacement or the length or width of the ship.

As for the Vikaramaditya here is the dimension's of the Admiral Gorshkov

Admiral Gorshkov
273m
51,9m
9,42m
45400 ton
32 knots
1600 crew
12 Yak-38 Forger

Soviet aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but the crew is extended heavily must be upto 2600

Both the Carriers are different in specifications just as the respective Navies have different capabilities and experience of operating carriers.
Where Aircraft Carriers are concerned, their air-wings are more important than just the ships themselves. So that is where the operational abilities of the air-wings become important. Paper specifications are less important.
All that said; PLAN has clearly stated that Varyag (Liaoning) is a training carrier to create a sea-borne air-wing of the future.

Back
Top Bottom