What's new

Air-To-Air Tactics & Combat Formations

QEwjl.jpg

Subject: 4.1. What good books are there on air combat?

The definitive work on air combat manoeuvring (ACM) is generally believed
to be _Fighter Combat_ by Robert L Shaw (the full title is either _Fighter
Combat: Tactics and Manoeuvring_ or _Fighter Combat: The Art and Science
of Air-to-Air Warfare_, depending on which edition you have). The book is
published by the US Naval Institute, Annapolis, Maryland (ISBN
1-85260-201-5). It covers a wide range of mission profiles, engagements
(one-on-one to many-on-many), and weapon types

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.answers/3oD1OWSC37o

Subject: 4.1. What good books are there on air combat?

The definitive work on air combat manoeuvring (ACM) is generally believed
to be _Fighter Combat_ by Robert L Shaw (the full title is either _Fighter
Combat: Tactics and Manoeuvring_ or _Fighter Combat: The Art and Science
of Air-to-Air Warfare_, depending on which edition you have). The book is
published by the US Naval Institute, Annapolis, Maryland (ISBN
1-85260-201-5). It covers a wide range of mission profiles, engagements
(one-on-one to many-on-many), and weapon types

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.answers/3oD1OWSC37o

"In 1987 we had the AIM-9P, which was designed to reject flares, and when we used US flares against it would ignore them and go straight for the target. We had the Soviet flares – they were dirty, and none of them looked the same – and the AIM-9P said 'I love that flare'.-i consider like everyone else that NATO air-power was better than Soviet in the cold war but by how much was the big question...R-73 n hms would hv been a real shock had things gone hot :)

"In 1987 we had the AIM-9P, which was designed to reject flares, and when we used US flares against it would ignore them and go straight for the target. We had the Soviet flares – they were dirty, and none of them looked the same – and the AIM-9P said 'I love that flare'.-i consider like everyone else that NATO air-power was better than Soviet in the cold war but by how much was the big question...R-73 n hms would hv been a real shock had things gone hot :)

Tell you a lot on why. The Americans were looking for a particular envelope on things working as timed. Flares burning at exact temperatures, heat that would give you an exact range where the transistors on the missle could decide on a flare. However, when that range was exceeded..the missile's electronics did what they were designed for. They fixed those problems in the 9L.

Also, when making a quote.. it is better to identify what you have added and what is quote.

The R-73 was however, a real shock when NATO had its chance to look at it at the end of the cold war when the Luftwaffe inherited the Mig-29's of the Luftstreitkräft

Sorry man m new n dunno how stuff works here yet :D n i know the 9 lima was good, just wanted to say the American writers(Clancy n co.) usually make it sound like soviets were retards n Nato were Vulcan!

awesome pakistan air warfare is soo good nd have good thing to fight any one i like it soo much....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom