What's new

Air Force Question Thread

Can anyone tell whats the upcoming registration date for applying PAF as commissioned officer? I know 25 Aug was the last date but im late... Whats the next ? Any idea
@F.O.X Pls do the needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell whats the upcoming registration date for applying PAF as commissioned officer? I know 25 Aug was the last date but im late... Whats the next ? Any idea

After 6 months of Aug

FOX, sir, I would be grateful if you could tell me about the induction dates of Psychologists in the PAF (education branch) as well.
You will have to wait for the ad, which is dependent upon vacancies and requirements.

Yes, and there has been no ad this entire year. I just completed my degree and can apply now :(

Your application will not be actioned. Best way is to visit PAF selection center and talk to the people there. They should be able to guide you best.

Your application will not be actioned. Best way is to visit PAF selection center and talk to the people there. They should be able to guide you best.

I did they say it's 'probable' that it'd come next year. Plus I know that the Navy Psych seats are coming this Dec/Jan but I want to go for PAF

Can someone tell me how to join Paf after matric??

Do fsc then wait for gdp induction date. then go to selection center. endure their misbehavior. remove your pant in front of them (i removed it twice). then get the issb form

guyz i want to know JF-17 thunder is better then LCA Tejas and i have read that idians saying that JF-17 thunder can`t fire a missile

Hello guys,

I want to humbly inquire as to the meaning of "retiring" an aircraft? I mean is it decommissioned or scrapped, or sent to junkyard, museums. Or it is SOLD? Additionally, is there a certain pletue that we want to achieve with JF-17 in short, medium or long term? As like make it technologically comparable or, dare I say better then F-16 (whichever the block)?

Of course the Thunder can fire missiles! Don't trust any poster on the Internet, Zohaib!
Even Wikipedia could have told you that. The question of being better than another Aircraft is more complex though. Until they either face each other or face the same type in exercises, it can't be known apart from their specifications : speed, engines, radar type, armament, etc and even exercises are never totally reliable since they include rules that may skew the results.
Until a more knowledgeable poster from Pk.def comes by I'd say that the Thunder is about the same as Tejas ( and may mature faster ) and a light version of the F-16 to answer Drebin. But the new avionics as it goes along in the future may change that upward.

As for Drebin's other question, all of your answers are good plus being stocked for use of its parts as replacements for active jets. If you use retiring for a TYPE of fighter however, it only means that its use will cease for the concerned air force, whatever happens to the planes themselves.

Good day both, Tay.

@Taygibay,

Thanks for the answers but, can you be more specific or elaborate in a bit mord detail rather then say, lighter version of F -16. It unfortunately doesn't explains much :(.

Actually, both my questions are based on the logic of technology and capital. You see F-16s had always given us an edge over India. Thus, making the highs of our Airforce. But in today's theatre of war, its not true anymore as our neighbour now sports the likes of Su-30 and soon PAK-FA and may be Rafales. Therefore, relying on 'em like in the past, in my humble opinion has become more of an expansive liability for us. We need to move on to attain the same edge as we once had to balance out the power disparity in the region/Sub - continent. But again, it all boils down to availability of funds.

While on the other hand, we aim to build and induct induct some 250 of JF -17 Thunder platforms, constantly upgrading it via block wise approach (clever & cost effective). Thus, effectively making it our mainstay aircraft, making high lows of our Airforce and, retiring the entire fleets of all other TYPES of A/C.

So even with that configuration, quality (apart from human element) & quantity wise, we stand no chance compared to our old adversary.

So what probably I am trying to deduce is whether Airforce aims to sell out all other platforms as they gradually induct more JF-17s while retiring the others? As that seems a very lucrative way of arranging the necessary funds to fast tracking the Thunder programme. It'll not only enhance the capability of the platform but, also tremendously boost its appeal in international markets. Through that, bringing in more revenue for the Airforce.

If that's the strategy of Pakistan Airforce then, what cost does individual outgoing A/C expected to fetch? And what will be that comparable performance/weapons/avionics etc sweetspot that Airforce will aim for with JF-17 vs F -16s and A/Cs in Indian inventory.

Lastly and most importantly, can same be strategised for F-16s? As funds generated via their sell can be utilised for procurement of modern and far effective platforms like 4th or 4+ Gen: A/Cs like Typhoon. Or even be used to fund / invest in JV for 5th Gen: platform with China like J31 as India is doing with Russia for PAK FA.

I'm not dreaming as fanboy, rather I want to discuss if such strategy is possible as Pakistan Airforce needs to modernise at some point. So if able, knowledgeable and senior members could clarify a few quarries in regards to this post and, outline positives and negatives of such a approach, I'd be really thankful. It'd far more enlightening to us all if wise members could outline the actual approach Airforce plans to take or their own opinion in this regard would be of immense value.

Thank you and sorry for such a long post.

Last edited:
No problem with the long post Drebin my friend, better long &clear than short and imprecise.

First on the "light" thing. Most numbers for the Thunder are around 80% of the equivalent ones for the Falcon of the blocks owned by Pakistan! The avionics are not superior either? Its only valid superiority is that it allows the PAF to use BVR missiles which is awesome on a national level. You should really keep in mind that the JF_17 will likely face TEJAS, MiG-29 or 27 in a war with India, Mirage 2000 at best! The Su-30 and Rafale if/when MMRCA comes thru will be for China? Which then explains why numbers are just about meaningless outside of scenarii and strategic tactical considerations. Let's be honest that if a new war had India and Pakistan facing each other and no one else involved or intervening so that both used all their might, in the air, India would win if only by attrition of numbers of the PAF fighters?

Moving on to your plan for it.
There are two problems with your idea, IMHoO. First, selling relatively recent US planes is harder than it seems. You'd have to sell these to a nation that the USA fully supports otherwise they'd quickly become useless for lack of support, bombs, parts, etc? Those are rare as if they have the money for it, the US will prefer to sell them new planes or barring that sell them used ones from the USAF?
The second bug is that as long as the USA meaningfully services the F-16s sold to the PAF, they should be kept in function to fight in the scenario outlined above of facing India.

The alternative that I would favor goes towards sales of the JF-17 itself? I did write in the export thread that too much should not be expected but there is a market, you know? Any Nation not wanting to align to RU-China and too poor to get the expensive Western toys ( Raffy-Typhie or even Gripen ) should consider the Thunder. Just think that even the South Africans are finding their Gripens expensive to run? And let's keep in mind that most rich Muslim nations buy Western uber-jets and that selling to Iran would break the bond with America?

From this, we can draw a plan :
1- state a neutral selling strategy : not to rogue states nor religiously driven;
2- plan to use the proceeds to fuel development of the JF-17's blocks thus insuring new (re-)orders;
3- put the rest of the money in the future aircraft of the PAF whether that be a buy or ideally a co-development again but this time on equal footing or with Pakistan as main designer?

That would already be a big and quick step-up! Most countries that tried either failed or took much longer? As for the market itself, Argentina or heck, even Afghanistan could be prospects. Granted that the tensions with your neighbor contradict that last idea but that is in fact one way to subdue them? IE. They'd be relying on **** help and you'd have little to fear from their AF?
Still, elsewhere as in Africa there could be markets opening. As a matter of fact, unless an agreement with China was signed, places on the continent that can't afford J-10s or align to the Chinese would likely be fine with the Thunder for a reasonable self-defence force. In addition to which, if the PAF uses its image of having professional quality pilots, some could be sent along to fly the things as many African nations do not have those? ;)

I know all this seems to run far into the future and that your proposal carries more weight at the moment ( except for selling the F-16s really ) but it is with vision that one builds tomorrow. Anything else is merely growing old?

Talk to you soon, have a great day, Tay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom