What's new

Aid to India will be stopped, pledges minister

S.M.R

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Britain is to stop giving aid money to India, Andrew Mitchell, the International Development secretary has said.

The Government has come under pressure to explain why British taxpayers are giving millions to countries like India at a time of public sector cuts.

Mr Mitchell’s international aid budget is one of only two, alongside health, which has been ring fenced and so is protected from the austerity drive.

India has been singled out because of increasing prosperity and the fact that it has a nuclear programme.

Mr Mitchell said it was not only “morally right” but in the UK's national interests to continue to fund development projects around the world.
He said that he wanted the UK to become a “development superpower”, adding: “Britain is doing brilliant things around the world…

“Just as America is a military superpower so because of the brilliant things that Britain is doing in the poorest places in the world, saving lives.”

A report from MPs on the Commons international development committee published on Tuesday is expected to be critical of Britain for giving money to India.

In a television interview, Mr Mitchell said that the Indian programme had been frozen “so for the first time this year since the war it is not Britain’s largest development programme”.

Mr Mitchell told BBC1’s Andrew Marr Show that he did not think that the UK would continue to fund programmes in India “for very much longer”.

He said: “India is a place where there are more poor people than the whole of sub-Saharan Africa, Britain’s programme is demonstrative it shows how we can get more people into school, and women particularly.

“These programmes are massively scaled up by the Indian taxpayer.
British know how is making a huge contribution – now is not the time to stop the programme in India but I don’t think we will be there for very much longer.”

The Government has been under fire for continuing to give 0.7 per cent of gross domestic product to the developing world, despite the domestic cuts programme.

Mr Mitchell said: “I think it was absolutely right of the Coalition to say in the early days that we would not balance the books on the poorest people in Britain or on the planet.

“We don't protect our security only by tanks and guns but also by training the police in Afghanistan, getting girls into school in the Horn of Africa and building up government structures in the Middle East.”

Mr Mitchell was speaking ahead of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (Gavi) conference in London on Monday.

The lives of more than four million children can be saved by a set of vaccines which cost the same as a cup of coffee, he said.

He said: “We had a look when we came into Government at all the different ways that Britain does development with British taxpayer funds and one of the very best was the Global Alliance of Vaccines and Immunisation, where effectively you can vaccinate a kid in the poor world for the price of a cup of coffee against all five of the killer diseases which mean so many of these children die before the age of five.”

Mr Mitchell said the Government would also match philanthropic donations by private individuals and companies.

He said that by Monday lunchtime he hoped to have “sufficient funding over the next four years to vaccinate 250,000 children in the poor world and save millions of lives”.

He added: “It’s really important. It’s Britain's big ask for development this year. We want to support it very strongly. We have a leadership role in all of this.”

Gavi is facing a shortfall of £2.3 billion for its work over the next five years, charities have warned. The conference is being chaired by David Cameron, the Prime Minister, and Microsoft founder and philanthropist Bill Gates.

Writing in The Observer newspaper, Mr Cameron said he was “convinced” it was right to protect the country’s aid budget.

He said: “I don't think it would be right to ignore the difference we can make, turn inwards solely to our own problems and effectively balance the books while breaking our promises to the world’s poorest.

“Instead, we should step up, deliver on our promises to the world's poorest and help save millions of lives.”

He added: “The British people are not prone to self-aggrandising. But I think there are times when we should acknowledge the good that we do.”

Mr Gates said Monday’s meeting would “very, very positive”, adding: “This is my life's work, and days like tomorrow energise us to do even better.”

Aid to India will be stopped, pledges minister - Telegraph

I thought we are the only nation who beg others for running the country. :coffee:

Britain is to stop giving aid money to India, Andrew Mitchell, the International Development secretary has said.

The Government has come under pressure to explain why British taxpayers are giving millions to countries like India at a time of public sector cuts.

Mr Mitchell’s international aid budget is one of only two, alongside health, which has been ring fenced and so is protected from the austerity drive.

India has been singled out because of increasing prosperity and the fact that it has a nuclear programme.

Mr Mitchell said it was not only “morally right” but in the UK's national interests to continue to fund development projects around the world.
He said that he wanted the UK to become a “development superpower”, adding: “Britain is doing brilliant things around the world…

“Just as America is a military superpower so because of the brilliant things that Britain is doing in the poorest places in the world, saving lives.”

A report from MPs on the Commons international development committee published on Tuesday is expected to be critical of Britain for giving money to India.

In a television interview, Mr Mitchell said that the Indian programme had been frozen “so for the first time this year since the war it is not Britain’s largest development programme”.

Mr Mitchell told BBC1’s Andrew Marr Show that he did not think that the UK would continue to fund programmes in India “for very much longer”.

He said: “India is a place where there are more poor people than the whole of sub-Saharan Africa, Britain’s programme is demonstrative it shows how we can get more people into school, and women particularly.

British know how is making a huge contribution – now is not the time to stop the programme in India but I don’t think we will be there for very much longer.”

The Government has been under fire for continuing to give 0.7 per cent of gross domestic product to the developing world, despite the domestic cuts programme.

Mr Mitchell said: “I think it was absolutely right of the Coalition to say in the early days that we would not balance the books on the poorest people in Britain or on the planet.

“We don't protect our security only by tanks and guns but also by training the police in Afghanistan, getting girls into school in the Horn of Africa and building up government structures in the Middle East.”

Mr Mitchell was speaking ahead of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (Gavi) conference in London on Monday.

The lives of more than four million children can be saved by a set of vaccines which cost the same as a cup of coffee, he said.

He said: “We had a look when we came into Government at all the different ways that Britain does development with British taxpayer funds and one of the very best was the Global Alliance of Vaccines and Immunisation, where effectively you can vaccinate a kid in the poor world for the price of a cup of coffee against all five of the killer diseases which mean so many of these children die before the age of five.”

Mr Mitchell said the Government would also match philanthropic donations by private individuals and companies.

He said that by Monday lunchtime he hoped to have “sufficient funding over the next four years to vaccinate 250,000 children in the poor world and save millions of lives”.

He added: “It’s really important. It’s Britain's big ask for development this year. We want to support it very strongly. We have a leadership role in all of this.”

Gavi is facing a shortfall of £2.3 billion for its work over the next five years, charities have warned. The conference is being chaired by David Cameron, the Prime Minister, and Microsoft founder and philanthropist Bill Gates.

Writing in The Observer newspaper, Mr Cameron said he was “convinced” it was right to protect the country’s aid budget.

He said: “I don't think it would be right to ignore the difference we can make, turn inwards solely to our own problems and effectively balance the books while breaking our promises to the world’s poorest.

“Instead, we should step up, deliver on our promises to the world's poorest and help save millions of lives.”

He added: “The British people are not prone to self-aggrandising. But I think there are times when we should acknowledge the good that we do.”

Mr Gates said Monday’s meeting would “very, very positive”, adding: “This is my life's work, and days like tomorrow energise us to do even better.”

I thought we are the only nation who beg others for running the country. :coffee:

:lol: We Dont Beg , They Have Been giving This SInce Independence and BTW They have stolen Lot more From us During British rule , So Dont compare This to The Aid That Your Nation Gets From Amreeca.

we dont need this aid desperately. even if aid is stopped it wont affect us.

I think this money brings in more bad luck than it actually does any good. Look at Pakistan, they have been receiving a few billion dollars from US, yet there growth is only 2%. The money is mainly given to the authorities so their western allies can commit atrocities on their soil, without any consequences. I strongly believe, if America stopped "helping" other countries, the world will be a much safer place.

This shows India is progressing and Britian feels they dont need to give aid to India in the future.

However they will continue to give aid to Pakistan and middle east.

I think we do not need any aid from other governments..but if aid goes to NGOs then its a different thing..

i have highlighted some points you forgot to highlight;):azn:

this is where i get pissed.... f$%king Brits....

sale chor ....

If we keep on living in history then our country will never progress...
you should know history but you should not let history to rule your present and future..

If we keep on living in history then our country will never progress...
you should know history but you should not let history to rule your present and future..

I agree with you 100%.

But i want the Kohinoor back from the queens crown and displayed in Indian Museum then the brits can stop the money.

Back
Top Bottom