What's new

Afzal khan and treachery of Shivaji

How can a son of the soil, native of the land possibly be treacherous towards a farangi afghan?
Stupid and illogical excuse, being native doesn't stop you from committing treachery....
Marathas didnt care about honour and all that stuff like rajputs......their way of fighting much powerful mughals required them to adopt tactics like this.

Stupid and illogical excuse, being native doesn't stop you from committing treachery....
Marathas didnt care about honour and all that stuff like rajputs......their way of fighting much powerful mughals required them to adopt tactics like this.

No doubt, they were masters of guerilla warfare, much like your tribal people were and still are now. You mean there has never been any treachery amongst Pashtun tribes? What were khattaks doing? Your whole history is littered with one treachery after another. These are all historical events for Indians to consolidate their self rule, after a 500 year shameful period when it was lost to outsiders. As they say, all's fair in love and war. If Shivaji didn't slaughter this guy, then he would have killed us all the same. Just he was not intelligent enough to hide his plans until the moment required.

Afzal Khan was a sorry excuse for a human being, got what he deserved, Chatrapati Maharaj ki Jai

19MP_SAAT_KABAR_1__1334569f.jpg

The last cries - The Hindu

BIJAPUR: Saat Kabar silently bears the dark saga of 60 wives dying at the hands of a possessive army chief-husband

My last halt in Bijapur turns out to be a bit of a grave destination and the setting of a cold-blooded tale. It is well past five in the evening, and I have been on a whirlwind tour of the heritage town where almost every monument is a mahal or a mosque or a mausoleum. But I have not had my fill yet.

The auto driver is a bit skeptical when I tell him I want to head to Saat Kabar. He tries to dissuade me. “There is no road. You may have to walk. The auto cannot go there,” he says. He warns me it is rather isolated and there will be no one around. But I refuse to give up. We drive down, leaving the dusty town and hit the highway. A detour takes us across a few scattered homes as we watch some boys play cricket on grounds. The auto stops at a dead-end. All I see in front of me are just a bit of dense undergrowth and a clump of bushes. There is no path. I walk behind the auto driver looking out for snakes. On one side is sheer wilderness and on the other, lush fields.

We keep walking and suddenly I spy the outline of a monument peeping at us through the trees. Brick red, it seems to be on the other side of a high compound wall with no access. I stop and look at it towering in front of me, the unkempt branches of the trees snaking towards it, shrouding it from public view.

It is eerie, as I wonder if this is the Saat Kabar or the 60 graves of the murdered wives of Afzal Khan, the army chief of Adil Shahi II. The graves narrate the gruesome fate of these women who were killed by their own husband. The tragic story is set in the 17th Century, when Chatrapathi Shivaji wages war against Adil Shah II. Afzal Khan leads the forces, but is distracted by an astrologer who tells him he will not survive the battle. The jealous and possessive commander decides to kill all his 60 wives lest they remarry after the war. So, he beckons them to an isolated spot and pushes them into a well. One of them tries to escape, but is captured and killed as well. And, I’m standing in the middle of nowhere looking for those 60 graves.

Suddenly, my auto driver calls out to me. He is ahead of me, near a clearing, and I make my way through the shrubs only to see a vast open space. There lie several graves, made of black stone, arranged neatly in rows. Some of these stones are broken, open to the skies. Afzal Khan apparently wanted to be buried near his wives as well, but he never returned from the battlefield.

The silence is ominous here, almost echoing the last cries of the women who were pushed to their death. I feel a shiver, and hurry back to the safe confines of civilisation.

Yeah all that honor an stuff was the reason why Prithviraj Chouhan pardoned and let Mohammed Ghori a war prisoner go, and what did it get him?

Honor and respect is for the people who deserve it, and Afzal Khan wasn't one of them.

453px-Death_of_Afzal_Khan.jpg

Afzal Khan was a powerful man of Afghan descent and was an experienced warrior, he was general of bijapur. He was much taller and strongly-built than Shivaji. He would attack shivaji and fail? no way. Pashtun custom of hugging men on hello cost him his life, shivaji stabbed him with his hidden dagger while hugging. Afzal khan was unarmed.
The urdu phrase "shivaji ka khanjar" means treachery

See you have to understand is that the Marathas were a different type of warrior nation from the tradition Kshatriya/Rajput warriors. While the Rajputs played by the rules of the ancient traditions of India, which is largely the reason why they always lost to central asian warriors. The Marathas did not observe ancient Kshatriya warrior codes. If they needed to break rules in order to win they will. Afzal Khan was a strongly built Pathan, he did not require weapons to kill a smaller man like Shivaji. All Afzal Khan needed to do was bear hug him and he would have crushed Shivaji. But Shivaji was smart, he knew what will happen and he came prepared with a hidden dagger. The Marathas were a new type of warriors unlike anything India had seen before.

@Pak-one At that time muslim rulers are seen as invaders who destroyed temples, raped lakhs and massacred many Hindus.

The treachery is there from both sides and Chatrapathi Shivaji won that game :cheers:

I would suggest you to change the title to "Chatrapathi Shivaji". He did it for the people of India.

This guy did what is needed to protect his home land, this guy is a symbol of Hindu resistance and the title "Maharaj Shivaji" is a very apt.

Afzal Khan was a powerful man of Afghan descent and was an experienced warrior, he was general of bijapur. He was much taller and strongly-built than Shivaji. He would attack shivaji and fail? no way. Pashtun custom of hugging men on hello cost him his life, shivaji stabbed him with his hidden dagger while hugging. Afzal khan was unarmed.

According to the legend Afzal Khan also tried to kill Shivaji in during the hug with a knife, But Shivaji had an Armour which protected him.

Last edited:
Yeah all that honor an stuff was the reason why Prithviraj Chouhan pardoned and let Mohammed Ghori a war prisoner go, and what did it get him?

Honor and respect is for the people who deserve it, and Afzal Khan wasn't one of them.

The pitfall of Indian warriors was their honour. Look at the turkics or afghanis. MOst were barbarians and did not give a damn about honour. We should have learned from them.

Afzal khan himself had murdered raja kasturi sanga in a similar meting promising safe conduct.He also tried to stab shivaji here but failed due to shivaji wearing armour inside his clothes.(acc to maratha version,but eniterly plausible due to afzal's record of treachery)However he met his match and found what what goes around comes around.

You know I had always thought that Pathans were one of the few muslim people who had principles and stood by their words. But then I realized this is all just a myth to make themselves feel better. Like they made up that Pathans were praised by Alexander's army when he came to this region, despite no such account existing with the Greeks. They didn't even exist in this region until they came down from north-Western Tarim basin during the White Hun invasions of 5th-6th century A.D. :rofl:

The more I read, the more I found out that other than Sher Shah Suri, all other people with origins over there have been the most opportunistic, dishonourable, vile creatures, who would sell their mother and sisters for few ounce of gold and backstab anyone that showed mercy to them. They deserved far worse than what they got.

From What I can remember we read in history,

Afzal Khan's intent was to Squeze and Suffocate Chatrapati Shivaji maharaj, this intent was known to Shivaji and thus he had prepared for such situation. When Afzal khan started tightening this grip, Shivaji Maharaj took countermeasure, which ended Afzal khan's Life.

As far as Shivaji Maharaj is concerned, He is the architect of the modern India... To me no leader including Ashoka or Chandragupta comes close to his courage and vision.

Shivaji's assassination of Afzal Khan and his chopping of finger of Shaista Khan both mission accomplished inside the very own house of his enemies shows what a great tactician, strategist and warrior Shivaji Maharaj was. The way such daring acts were carefully planned and so smoothly executed is simply jaw dropping.

Marathas didnt care about honour and all that stuff like rajputs

lol just imagine if Afghans mujahedeens instead of adopting guerrilla tactics started to care about warrior code and honour and decided to face Soviet forces head on face to face. Do you think they would have lasted even for a day.

Last edited:
Shivaji's assassination of Afzal Khan and his chopping of finger of Shaista Khan both mission accomplished inside the very own house of his enemies shows what a great tactician, strategist and warrior Shivaji Maharaj was. The way such daring acts were carefully planned and so smoothly executed is simply jaw dropping.

lol just imagine if Afghans mujahedeens instead of adopting guerrilla tactics started to care about warrior code and honour and decided to face Soviet forces head on face to face. Do you think they would have lasted even for a day.
That is exactly my point. when Afghans/pashtuns faced much powerful enemies, super powers, like british empire, soviets and america.....they had to adopt to unconventional warfare and it worked......marathas were in similar situation and it worked for hem.
note that Pashtuns also rose in rebellion against aurangzaib, they continously fought for 12 years against mughals but failed......because they didnt use tactics and warfare of marathas.......marathas were perhaps first guerrilla fighters of indian history

The pitfall of Indian warriors was their honour. Look at the turkics or afghanis. MOst were barbarians and did not give a damn about honour. We should have learned from them.
What exactly is your definition of honor?......there were certain rules of engagement and warfare in all nations whether they were afghans, arabs, turks or rajputs.....All armies used tactics and strategies........but some things were considered low such a attacking at night and killing sleeping soldiers (during war at evening and night, there always used be ceasefire), using poisonous arrows,stabbing from back, killing guest etc
Standing like statues and taking on the fires or arrows was not honor, indians didnt fight like that......they used every strategy and tactic on the filed which were known to them....

Last edited:
No doubt, they were masters of guerilla warfare, much like your tribal people were and still are now. You mean there has never been any treachery amongst Pashtun tribes? What were khattaks doing? Your whole history is littered with one treachery after another. These are all historical events for Indians to consolidate their self rule, after a 500 year shameful period when it was lost to outsiders. As they say, all's fair in love and war. If Shivaji didn't slaughter this guy, then he would have killed us all the same. Just he was not intelligent enough to hide his plans until the moment required.

Pashtuns have certain rules, honour code.......have you heard about "nanawatay"? according to it you are supposed to give protection to even your enemy if he asks for it.....A guest with asylum is protected at all cost even if your entire clan is annihilated.....few centuries ago my tribe was nearly annihilated by ghilzais after refusing to hand over their culprit who was under our protection.....

But yes ambushes and surprise attacks are part of our warfare even since British came to our lands, before that we used to fight in conventional way.......taliban have adopted guerrilla warfare of new level, terrorism is added to it.

Pashtuns have certain rules, honour code.......have you heard about "nanawatay"? according to it you are supposed to give protection to even your enemy if he asks for it.....A guest with asylum is protected at all cost even if your entire clan is annihilated.....few centuries ago my tribe was nearly annihilated by ghilzais after refusing to hand over their culprit who was under our protection.....

But yes ambushes and surprise attacks are part of our warfare even since British came to our lands, before that we used to fight in conventional way.......taliban have adopted guerrilla warfare of new level, terrorism is added to it.

This is a question of relativism.

For you Shivaji is a treacherous murderer. For us he is among the best rulers of our country. :)
Only difference is you have remained firm in your convictions while some of us remained confused.

IMG_106385119647895.jpeg

shivaji-wpp.jpg

The sky was smiling on the fort of Shivneri,
A child was coming to bring joy and glory
The heir of Shahaji Bhosale’s clan would create history
This epic is Chhatrapati Shivaji’s amazing story.

Trumpets and drums told the skies and the earth
Jijabai has given birth, Jijabai has given birth!
The fort was smiling with delight and mirth
Hail the noble birth, hail the noble birth!

Shahaji and Jijabai’s son safe in his bastion
He will create a nation, he will create a nation.
Shivaji will live a life as a divine mission
His people’s liberation, his people’s liberation.

Jijabai, Shivaji’s mother was his real guru
Taught him to be true, taught him to be true.
Growing fast his knowledge will accrue
Soon had a motley crew, soon had a motley crew.

The motley crew would roam the local hill and forest
He would not rest, he would not rest.
Got knowledge of the land from the best
All comrades abreast, all comrades abreast.

1639, Bangalore to meet new teachers
Sambhaji, Ekoji his brothers, Sambhaji, Ekoji his brothers
Trained as a courtiers and fighting warriors
The young leaders, the young leaders.

Shivaji at thirteen a new stage of life
Saibai his first wife, Saibai his first wife,
Personal life was second to wars and strife
But that was rife, but that was rife.

At fourteen back to Pune with the royal seal
Council of ministers to deal, council of ministers to deal.
Only sixteen, Shivaji obtained Fort Torna by appeal
Swaraj bells begin to peal, Swaraj bells begin to peal.

Adilshah asked Baji Ghorpade to detain Shahaji
Could not contain Shivaji, Could not contain Shivaji.
Farad Khan marches to Bangalore against Sambhaji
Fateh Khan against Shivaji, Fateh Khan against Shivaji.

There were pitched battles grueling and gory
The brothers tasted victory, the brothers tasted victory.
How they got Shahaji freedom is quite a story
Brother were basking in glory, brother were basking in glory.

Shivaji had petitioned Emperor Shahjahan’s son
Murad Baksh governor of Deccan, Murad Baksh governor of Deccan.
Pledged loyalty to the Mughals as a condition
All for Shahaji’s redemption, all for Shahaji’s redemption.

The Mughals pressurized for Shahaji’s detention to cease
Adilshah had to please, Adilshah had to please.
Surrender forts Kondhana, Bangalore and Kandarpi to appease
Shahaji’s release, Shahaji’s release.

Afzal Khan came to put down Shivaji’s insurrection
Started temple desecration, started temple desecration.
Hoping to bring Shivaji to the plains in indignation
Khan hoped easy annihilation, hoped easy annihilation.

Smart Shivaji understood Khan’s machinations
Carefully weighed the options, carefully weighed the options.
Agreed to meet in the mountains for diplomatic negotiations
Meeting in isolation, meeting in isolation.

November 10, 1659 the day of convention
Important discussion, important discussion.
Shivaji and his ministers had apprehension
About Khan’s intention, about Khan’s intention.

Base of the Pratapgad plateau the meeting place
Diplomatic style and grace, diplomatic style and grace.
Two leaders to meet each other face to face
Bodyguards behind a pace, bodyguards behind a pace.

Shivaji saw Goddess Bhavani in a vision
Divine revelation, divine revelation.
Goddess Bhavani promised full protection
Winning the confrontation, winning the confrontation.

Afzal Khan tried to ensure Shivaji’s end
Shivaji must defend, Shivaji must to defend.
Tearing out the gut of Khan, Shivaji has to attend
To ensure Khan’s end, to ensure Khan’s end.

Battle of Pratapgad began in earnest
Kanoji Jedhe started the tempest, Kanoji Jedhe started the tempest.
Moropant Pingale and Netaji Palkar as Generals the best
3000 soldiers laid to rest, 3000 soldiers laid to rest.

Goliath, the Emperor in Delhi was livid
Shivaji was the David, Shivaji was the David.
Bijapur attacked to thwart Shivaji’s bid
But success hid, but success hid.

Bijapur forces were decimated in defeat
Maratha’s what a feat, Maratha’s what a feat.
Battle of Kolhapur, Bijapur forces had to retreat
Shivaji led the beat, Shivaji led the beat.

This unlikely victory made Shivaji a hero of Maratha folklore
Celebrations galore, celebrations galore.
Captured weapons, horses, armor and much more
Too much to keep score, too much to keep score.

Mughals called Shivaji a mountain rat
But he is a cool cat, but he is a cool cat.
Emperor Aurangzeb was preparing tit for tat
Shivaji is planning for that, Shivaji is planning for that.

Adilshah gave Gen. Siddhi Johar his order
Attack the southern border, attack the southern border.
Hoping to create total chaos and disorder,
Mughals attack northern border, attack northern border.

Jasvantrao Dalvi and Suryarao Surve gave support
To Siddhi Johor’s effort, to Siddhi Johor’s effort.
They besieged Shivaji’s camp at Panhala fort
Shivaji needs effort, Shivaji needs effort.

Shivaji was the Maratha pride
Now besieged from all side, now besieged from all side.
He took the events calmly in his stride
Must escape not hide, Must escape not hide.

East west north south have enemy cover
Death or defeat hover, Death or defeat hover.
Suddenly, daring and impossible ideas flower
Trick the enemy power, trick the enemy power.

Messages to Siddhi Johor were about conceding
This news was relaxing, this news was relaxing.
They had no idea, Shivaji was deceiving
Planned escape in offing, escape in offing.

Shivaji had planned for this kind of trouble
Use a body double, use a body double.
Pretending to be Shivaji, Shiva Kashid was capable
Escape plan workable, escape plan workable.

The dangerous mission began on a stormy July night
Decoy group took flight, decoy group took flight.
Only to get caught by Johor’s soldier without a fight
Plan worked alright, plan worked alright.

This diversion was just helped Shivaji escape
News left soldier’s agape, news left soldiers agape.
Shivaji quickly moved through a dense cape
Great escape, great escape.

Baji Prabhu and his band ready to test fate
Even death will wait, even death will wait.
For seven hours they fought straight
Even death will wait, even death will wait.

The brave band fought with great desire
Not to tire not to tire.
Hearing the cannons signal fire
Success acquire, success acquire.

Shivaji in Vishalgad Fort is safe and sound
Baji and 300 bodies found, Baji and 300 bodies found.
Even in death may such patriots abound
In death no turn around, in death no turn around.

Kartalab Khan, was sent to Konkan region
Shaista Khan’s mission, Shaista Khan’s mission.
Capture forts to bring Shivaji’s submission,
Shivaji had no such intention, Shivaji had no such intention.

Kartalab Khan left his camp with 30,000 soldier force.
Mughals took circuitous course, Mughals took circuitous course.
Hoped to surprise and trap Shivaji without recourse
Shivaji thought on course, Shivaji thought on course.

At Umber Khind, Shivaji led a unit of elite cavalry
Other three sides light infantry, other three sides light infantry.
What a sight of such marvelous gallantry
Did not forget chivalry, did not forget chivalry.

A lady commander advised Kartalab Khan to accept defeat
Compromise and retreat, compromise and retreat.
Capturing all the supplies, arms and assets is no mean feat.
Women unmolested a noble feat, women unmolested a noble feat.

Bijapur and Delhi joint forces were on the roll
Defeating Shivaji the only goal, defeating Shivaji the only goal.
The Mughals wanted absolute control
Behaving like a troll, behaving like a troll.

Shaista khan’s army was well equipped and vast
Maratha’s would not last, Maratha’s would not last.
Khan’s army captured territory real fast
People were aghast, people were aghast.

For total control there is a bit of hindrance
Fort Chakan’s resistance, Fort Chakan’s resistance.
Odd against them still going the distance
Without any assistance, without any assistance.

Explosives now breach the outer wall
Beginning of the fall, beginning of the fall.
Possibility of holding out began to pall
Surrender was the call, surrender was the call.

Finally Commander Firangoji Narsala was caught
How bravely he fought, how bravely he fought.
Even in defeat Firangoji loyalty could not be bought
Just give it a thought, just give it a thought.

Shaista Khan controlled Pune under tight security
It was Shivaji’s city, it was Shivaji’s city.
Shivaji would attack Khan in Lal Mahal with alacrity
Shivaji was very gritty, Shivaji was very gritty.

Maratha’s entered Pune using a wedding party as cover
Plan no one would discover, Plan no one would discover.
Lightning moves the place guards could not recover
For Khan it was over, for Khan it was over.

Shivaji and Shaista Khan came face to face
Khan Begum his only brace, Khan Begum his only brace.
She blew out the lamp for Khan to escape without a trace
Brave general what disgrace, brave general what disgrace.

The mighty Shaista Khan managed to save his life
Because of his wife, because of his wife.
But Shivaji severed Khan’s three fingers in the strife
Ignoble defeat cuts like a knife, ignoble defeat cuts like a knife.

Surat was a wealthy port and trading city
Poor defenses what a pity, Poor defenses what a pity.
Shivaji asked for a tribute to grow the kitty
Expected some honesty, expected some honesty.

The Mughal commander hid in his fort, a big blunder
Emissary tries murder, emissary tries murder.
Shivaji decides to stop talk and start the plunder
Surat city goes under, Surat city goes under.

Charitable and missionary men were left alone
But Surat stripped to bone, but Surat stripped to bone.
Before Delhi got the news, Shivaji left the looted zone
Surprise the new war tone, surprise the new war tone.

Aurangzeb had decided to tackle Shivaji outright
Sent Raja Jai Singh to fight, sent Raja Jai Singh to fight,
Swiftly he captured vast territory to Emperors delight
Shivaji had to be contrite, Shivaji had to be contrite.

Shivaji signed a treaty causing him great pain
With eye on long term gain, with eye on long term gain.
Supportive followers helped Shivaji sustain
And avoiding strain, and avoiding strain.

As per treaty had to give up large parts of his nation
And hefty compensation, and hefty compensation.
Son Sambhaji as a courtier to take up Agra station
Shivaji in precarious position, Shivaji in precarious position.

The Emperor invited Shivaji for a royal meeting
Something was cooking, something was cooking.
Planned to use Shivaji in Afghan area consolidation
Put Shivaji away without hesitation, away without hesitation.

In the court Shivaji was relegated to the back
His dignity under attack, His dignity under attack.
Shivaji stormed out at this insult never looking back
Left with his pack, Left with his pack.

Emperor Aurangzeb made clear his intention
Shivaji in house detention, Shivaji in house detention.
It was testing time for the Maratha nation
Prayed for salvation, prayed for salvation.

Planning to escape became the main business
So feigned fatal illness, so feigned fatal illness.
Sent back his followers so as to impress
Disease was in progress, disease was in progress.

Had to keep his captors in confusion
Asked for strange permission, asked for strange permission.
Seeking blessing from holy men was the permitted mission
Hoping divine intervention, hoping divine intervention.

Escaped from detention hiding in a sweetmeat carton,
Both father and son, both father and son.
Shivaji spreads rumor to create grand confusion,
About death of the son, about death of the son.

Shivaji quickly left for his Deccan homeland
Joined by his trusted band, joined by his trusted band.
Shivaji planned to take a decisive stand
Regaining his motherland, regaining his motherland.

Uneasy truce between Mughals and Maratha’s was broken
The sahyadri lion had spoken, the sahyadri lion had spoken.
Territory after territory was fought and taken
Mughal domination shaken, Mughal domination shaken.

Fort Sinhgad was conquered with sheer determination
Mughals lost prestigious bastion, Mughals lost prestigious bastion.
Tanaji Malusare was the brave fallen lion
Loss to a nation, loss to a nation.

The Marathas started to fight and take back their lands
Stunning the brigands , stunning the brigands.
Fighting the Mughals with all available hands
Regained their lands, regained their lands.

On both Dindori and Salher battlefield
Mughals had to yield, Mughals had to yield
Foundation of Maratha nation was being sealed
People are thrilled, people are thrilled.

Prataprao Gujar released Bahlol Khan as a noble gesture
Incurred Shivaji’s displeasure, incurred Shivaji’s displeasure.
His personal honor was his only real treasure
Needed desperate measure, needed desperate measure.

Thousand men against ten thousand was certain suicide
Anything for pride, anything for pride.
Seven leaders plunged into battle headlong no time to decide
All seven braves died, all seven braves died.

The seven Maratha officers Chief Prataprao Gujar,
With Vithal Pilaji Atre, Krishnaji Bhaskar,
Then fell Dipoji Rautrao, Visaji Ballal
Along with Vithoji Shinde and Siddhi Hilal.

Shivaji decided to formally declare the Maratha nation
With his coronation, with his coronation.
For a long bloody struggle it was a logical conclusion,
What determination, what determination.

Fifty thousand witnessed Shivaji’s coronation
Sovereign of a nation, sovereign of a nation.
Many foreign powers had large participation,
Giving commendation, giving commendation.

Jijabai blessed her son, Shivaji’s coronation
Completing her mission, completing her mission.
She left her body with deep satisfaction
Leaving behind a mourning nation, leaving behind a mourning nation.

Shivaji as a person had a sterling character,
Shrewd political actor, shrewd political actor
Capable commander and good administrator
Motivated leader, motivated leader.

Shivaji’s subjects enjoyed freedom of religion
He opposed forced conversion, he opposed forced conversion
Protecting honor of women his instruction
Moral obligation, Moral obligation.

Developed a responsive administration
For the budding nation, for the budding nation
Protected places of worship irrespective of religion
Brought peace to the region, brought peace to the region.

Shivaji truly deserved the admiration
Of a grateful nation, of a grateful nation.
From the beginning has a very clear notion
About a vibrant nation, about a vibrant nation.

The trumpets are silent, the drums are quiet
A soul has left them and taken flight.
As a son, husband, father and sovereign Shivaji gave his best
the battle-scared body is at rest, the battle-scared body is at rest.

The Maratha empire mourns for their protector
Shivaji has left his body to meet his creator.
Even the clear April sky
Could not help, but cry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom