What's new

Afghanistan risks 'failed state'

mujahideen

Reaction score
Afghanistan risks 'failed state'

Afghanistan risks turning into a failed state and becoming a forgotten war, a study led by a US diplomatic and military team has concluded.

The study by former UN ambassador Thomas Pickering and retired Marine Corps General James Jones is due to be released later on Wednesday.

One of its recommendations is for more Nato troops to be sent to Afghanistan, the AP news agency reports.

The Taleban have mounted a comeback in Afghanistan over the past two years.

The south of the country has seen the worst violence since the Taleban were thrown out of power in the US-led invasion of 2001.

'Mounting challenge'

"Afghanistan stands at a crossroads," says the study which has been seen by AP.

"The progress achieved after six years of international engagement is under serious threat from resurgent violence, weakening international resolve, mounting regional challenges and a growing lack of confidence on the part of the Afghan people about the future direction of their country," it says.

The study also recommends the appointment of a US special envoy, and for Washington's Afghan policy to be decoupled from its Iraqi one.

Democrats in the US Congress have long argued that the Bush administration has failed to contain terrorism in Afghanistan by diverting resources to Iraq.

The Nato-led force has almost 37,000 troops in Afghanistan.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Afghanistan risks 'failed state'

Not so long as the US backs it.

The same was said of Pakistan till US intervened!

US decides and to boost the idea funnels aid in all dimensions so that the slur does not stick!

It already is a failed state. Take away it's opium production, and the low GDP will half in value. Half the country is at war with the other half. A Tajik-dominated government is in power that doesn't have the support of the people, and wouldn't last two minutes when the Americans leave (and they will leave eventually) - some sort of arrangement will be created involving all parties that suits the US, they'll leave, and the government will face the same fate as Najibullah's in the mid 90s. History always seems to repeat itself in Afghanistan

It is a failed state - the question is whether it can be pulled out of the abyss...

And I would agree with RR, without a government that represents the demographic makeup of the country, and the political loyalties of the citizens, no amount of US Aid is going to resolve its problems. The US needs to start a secondary process of finding alternative leadership in the strongholds of the NA as well.

It is a failed state - the question is whether it can be pulled out of the abyss...

And I would agree with RR, without a government that represents the demographic makeup of the country, and the political loyalties of the citizens, no amount of US Aid is going to resolve its problems. The US needs to start a secondary process of finding alternative leadership in the strongholds of the NA as well.

:) there is no need to find alternative leadership in NA the only thing that lacks there is non-representation of Majority of Afghanistan.

The US which was pledge for development of Afghanistan is going down the drain.
Not even few % is being used for development there.

Jana,

I think its already a failed state. Now question is where it go in near future? If Taliban again gains the Power in Afghan, you can say it will go in Anarchy as before, where Football ground will be used for Public murder and university campus will be used as Arms store.

Jana,

I think its already a failed state. Now question is where it go in near future? If Taliban again gains the Power in Afghan, you can say it will go in Anarchy as before, where Football ground will be used for Public murder and university campus will be used as Arms store.

That sort of ignorance will work on an Indian forum but not on here. The Taliban for all their bad points, did bring 90% of Afghanistan under their control, and provided it with security. The Northern Alliance gave Afghanistan no security at all.

As for the football ground. What is the difference between executing criminals in a football ground and executing them in a death cell or electric chair?

As for the football ground. What is the difference between executing criminals in a football ground and executing them in a death cell or electric chair?

Same difference doing **** in kitchen and Toilet.

Its the thought that counts. :P

The fact that they banned football (which itself speaks of a civilizational decline so horrible that I wonder if they can recover in the next thousand years), the reasons why people were executed, the so called justice system.

Regarding your "uniting Afghanistan" comment, just remember that a good conqueror is almost always a bad ruler.

That sort of ignorance will work on an Indian forum but not on here. The Taliban for all their bad points, did bring 90% of Afghanistan under their control, and provided it with security. The Northern Alliance gave Afghanistan no security at all.

And I guess this kind of mindless hatred works here. Sometimes I am left wondering at the amount of all consuming hate people have in their hearts that spills out in all their posts!

Its the thought that counts. :P

The fact that they banned football (which itself speaks of a civilizational decline so horrible that I wonder if they can recover in the next thousand years), the reasons why people were executed, the so called justice system.

The justice system has not improved under 7 years under Karzai then.

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Afghan 'blasphemy' death sentence

Is this a valid reason to execute people? If not, why single out the Taliban, as you are doing?

Regarding your "uniting Afghanistan" comment, just remember that a good conqueror is almost always a bad ruler.

Taliban were not invaders to be conquerors. The Taliban fighters in Afghanistan are Afghanis.

And I guess this kind of mindless hatred works here. Sometimes I am left wondering at the amount of all consuming hate people have in their hearts that spills out in all their posts!

It's true that it works on Indian forums. Just go to Bharat-Rhaksha to find out!

"The US needs to start a secondary process of finding alternative leadership in the strongholds of the NA as well."

Sounds like a job for Pakistan. You find and vett the names. Ask Asim for some help. He really likes those folks up north.

58% of the nation isn't pashtu. Pick some goodun's. They need representation at least the equal of the Taliban.:lol:

Nat'l elections one year from now for president. I wouldn't in the least be surprised if Karzai refused a second term.

It's true that it works on Indian forums. Just go to Bharat-Rhaksha to find out!

And I can point you to PDF which has many members who are also here on this forum. This won't go anywhere and I am not ineterested in finger pointing. The point is this holier than thou attitude: My country/race/religion is better than yours just because I was born in that. The sooner people can get over this and be able to dispassionately look at issues, the better,

But may be it is too much to expect!

Anyway the only country where Taliban still has any admirers appears to be Pakistan judging by some member's posts here.

Any wonder, there is such a strong pro-Taliban movement there. Most people found their treatment of women including beating them on streets, not letting them get educated, not even letting them get treated by doctors!, persecution and genocide of Shias among many others ABHORRENT.

If this is callled providing security, I am sure not many Afghans would be interested in that kind of security. People everywhere struggle for living a life of dignity even at the cost of so called security.

I guess it would be a stretch even for some of the Taliban admirers here to say that they provided a life of dignity to the Afghans.

Back
Top Bottom